This is Us : New NBC drama starring Mandy Moore etc.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I just watched it with your question in mind. I thought it was a different Kate. I also thought the other two could have been older than teenagers and Jack looked mysteriously older. I'm sure it was purposely done that way to make what year it was vague.

I'm not looking forward to a Kate love triangle.

But, the rest of the episode was good this week.

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I want Kevin with Sloane, too. But, the Sophie wrench was my point last week that out of the older characters his storyline definitely has the most potential.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my wife just loves this show.

4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I was sure when the camera panned around Kate at the end, and it was right up close, that that was the elder actress. But I only watched it once and I've seen other places online where they say it wasn't it just looked like her.

The Kate love triangle? Do. Not. Care. Actually when Toby was driving Kate to the retreat I was thinking that it would be a fantastic curve to have Toby die after he drops her off. Fooled us with the heart problem in December, now he dies when we think everything is going to be alright.

I just don't think the actor has enough range. I spoke earlier of his acting when speaking to Randall's daughters. Here again on Sophie's doorstep he just didn't have the chops to really make it count.

It was funny when Toby referred to Kevin's 'master race genetics'.:D

5. SizzleVonSizzleton

Any comments on the episode this week?

Trying to be positive, Toby made a hilarious Def Leppard comment.

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was thinking how Mandy Moore really got the best deal as to who the true star of the show is. She is guaranteed to be in every episode from start to finish. In lots of ways Milo Ventimiglia is the most important star of the show and the glue that holds it all together. But, at some point, his part is going to be severely limited or totally eliminated. The show will not be the same when that happens.

I think Randall was the big positive of this week's show. His storyline is starting to get more interesting. And his inability to confront his emotions will be interesting to watch going forward.

The Kevin storyline has stalled at the moment. All we know about the first wife is when they first met. We know nothing about when they were married and whether or now we should want them to reunite. Some shows use what is called a flashback to get us more invested in a character. Perhaps this show should use that device in a coming episode. ;)

Finally, Kate...

7. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I agree with you on these points.

The Kevin storyline is not interesting to me. They just throw in Sophia and seemingly dropped both Olivia and Sloane.

I like Kate, but I don't care for either Toby or Cabin 13 guy, so a triangle is the least interesting story for me.

tonyc likes this.
  8. SizzleVonSizzleton

I'd be interested to see the ratings for every episode so far.

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It is easier to read on the wiki page.

No.
    Title Air date Rating/share
    (18–49)
    Viewers
    (millions)
    DVR
    (18–49)
    DVR viewers
    (millions)
    Total
    (18–49)
    Total viewers
    (millions)

1 "Pilot" September 20, 2016 2.8/10 10.07[19] 1.8 4.55 4.6 14.61[55]
    2 "The Big Three" September 27, 2016 2.6/9 8.75[20] 1.9 5.12 4.5 13.87[56]
    3 "Kyle" October 11, 2016 2.8/9 9.87[21] 1.9 4.95 4.7 14.82[57]
    4 "The Pool" October 18, 2016 2.6/9 9.71[22] 2.0 4.86 4.6 14.57[58]
    5 "The Game Plan" October 25, 2016 2.4/8 8.68[23] 2.1 5.11 4.5 13.83[59]
    6 "Career Days" November 1, 2016 2.3/7 8.48[24] 2.1 5.09 4.4 13.57[60]
    7 "The Best Washing Machine in the World" November 15, 2016 2.6/9 9.50[25] 2.1 5.20 4.7 14.70[61]
    8 "Pilgrim Rick" November 22, 2016 2.4/9 9.00[26] 2.1 5.46 4.5 14.46[62]
    9 "The Trip" November 29, 2016 2.7/9 10.56[27] 1.9 4.96 4.6 15.46[63]
    10 "Last Christmas" December 6, 2016 2.8/9 10.95[28] 2.1 5.45 4.9 16.40[64]
    11 "The Right Thing to Do" January 10, 2017 3.0/11 10.48[29] 2.0 5.33 5.0 15.81[65]
    12 "The Big Day" January 17, 2017 2.6/8 9.53[30] 2.5 6.20 5.1 15.80[66]
    13 "Three Sentences" January 24, 2017 2.8/9 9.63[31] 2.4 6.16 5.2 15.79[67]
    14 "I Call Marriage" February 7, 2017 2.6/8 9.57[32] TBD TBD TBD TBD

The ratings seem very consistent with the high 16.40 million viewers and the low 13.57 million viewers.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I just watched last night's episode. Just god damn. Now I'm emotionally exhausted.

Absolutely the best episode so far.

mmars982 and Alan G. like this.
  11. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Fantastic episode! Definately reached for the tissues.

AKA and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Ron Cephas Jones, Sterling K. Brown and Jermel Nakia all deserve Emmys. Hopefully we'll still see a lot of Ron and Jermel in coming episodes.

Alan G. likes this.
  13. SizzleVonSizzleton

If anybody on This Is Us gets an Emmy before Sterling K. Brown I'll assume the Russians have hacked the voting.

AKA likes this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw a reference to this on the Tonight Show before I saw this week's episode.

Milo Ventimiglia wrote everyone a sick note after ‘This is Us’ heartbreaker

I was tempted to call off work today to recover from watching the episode last night. Some of the best and most touching acting I have ever seen.

EDIT: Warning, there is sort of a spoiler in the article. Not a big one, but just read the top if you haven't seen it yet & want to be completely surprised.

BluesOvertookMe and AKA like this.
  15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

16. SizzleVonSizzleton

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I don't know about that. It looks like Kate is still holding in a lot of PTSD from Jack's death. I think the cause of his death will be revealed earlier on, and that Kate finally coming to terms with what happened will be a big part of her weight loss journey.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I read an interview with one of the actors that said the cause of Jack's death will be revealed this season (and that it isn't anything viewers could guess).

AKA and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

We finally decided to start watching this show on Sunday and are now all caught up. Just a tremendous show and cast. Its everything I could have hoped for in fulfilling my post Parenthood void.

Funny story..on Sunday I ordered pizza over the phone right after we watched the Thanksgiving episode..Never ordered food while almost breaking into tears before.

Regarding Jack's death, I thought I heard Kate explain to Toby that she watched a Steelers games with Jack physically around 2006 and now watches them with urn in the room.

But Sophie knew about Miguel being Kevin's step father and they split twelve years ago either Kevin's parents split before Jack's death or I misunderstood what Kate said.

BluesOvertookMe and AKA like this.
  20. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Paper Boi!

song made me cry

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Kate watched that game with the urn, because it was later shown in a quick flashback to Jack's funeral that the Big 3 were all teenagers when he died.

22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I was wrong about that..Wikipedia says he passes away between 1996-1998 so they would still be teenagers..

AKA likes this.
  23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Great episode last night. Better than the forum favorite from last week. They are indeed going to show us how Jack dies and all three kids now have significant storylines going into Season 2. I wonder if Milo is even signed for Season 2 or maybe he will just show up on special occasions. I still think the show will end up being weaker without him and I'm not sure where they go with Season 3. But, congratulations on bouncing back from a couple of bad episodes to end the season on a high note.

24. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Read somewhere that Ron Cephas Jones (William) will be back, obviously through the flashback-style of the show. So, one would expect Milo would be, too. Great! Wonderful performances.

25. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I wasn't happy with the season finale. If you're going to end an episode with "I'm the reason my dad is dead," you don't wait six months (or perhaps even longer) to explain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.