HBO's Girls

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

she's naked in like 2/3 of all the episodes. don't have HBO anymore, but this was one of the best (drama/comedy) shows on TV, imo

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

When it's at its best, it's brilliant. And every season has SOME great episodes. Some more than others.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This is a seriously eye roll put your hands over your face series. Four seasons + in and Lena Dunham's nudity still makes me cringe. I wonder what that says about me? Probably nothing good :/

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I sort of think that's why she does it. She knows she's nowhere close to having the typical nude shape on tv shows or movies. I think it's a..."look at me, THIS is what normal women look like. And this shape can be nude on tv also..." The show being her vehicle she has the power, and the guts, to do those scenes.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No doubt but it's still kind of icky for me to watch.

Yes, I realize that makes me a sexist pig, but I am what an ....

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I meant to post earlier this week but this recent episode was available on demand the Friday prior to Suday. Not sure they did it because of the Oscars. Nevertheless I'll check this week to see if they do it again.

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

All of Sunday's major shows (except, I believe, John Oliver's) were put up on demand platforms early (though not up here in Canada.) Yes, because of the Oscars.

8. bartels76

Was Walking Dead put up as well??

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

HBO only.

10. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

That last episode with the writer should be required viewing for all high school girls. I thought it brilliantly captured the nuances to modern day issues of gender, power and privilege. My wife and I have talked about this episode a number of times since it aired and we both found it fascinating how we as viewers sort of flipped back and forth on how we felt about what was going on from one moment to the next, but then in the end just felt disturbed and upset about the whole thing. Which is exactly how someone should feel about the theme of that episode.

I think the show has ebbed and flowed over the years, but I've stuck with it for the occasional brilliant one-off episodes (like last Sunday's), which I find much more compelling than some of the ongoing story lines. This is the last season, which I think is a good idea as the show seems to have run its course, but so far it has been going out on a high.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

There's a really brilliant moment in the scene in his kitchen where Dunham is telling her side of the story about a series of inappropriate moments in school with a specific teacher and the camera just lingers on Rhys and he gets this glint in his eyes where he realizes that, instead of playing defense with her, he has an opportunity to play predator. Between that and his look of triumph over how he bested her when his daughter is playing, he transforms from a potential arrogant, but possibly just clueless, entitled jerk to just pure evil incarnate. He's never really had the chance to show that side of himself as his character on 'The Americans', and it's just devastating to watch here.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Is it just me or this season, so far at least, extremely Hannah heavy? One of the things I liked the most about the series was the ensemble of characters. So far, nobody has been in the show very much other than Hannah. They should have just called this season "GIRL". Maybe it will change. Dunno.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Well, we're only three episodes in. The first one was Hannah-heavy and casually checking in with the others. The second one was mainly Marnie & Desi with Hannah as a supporting character. The third was a Hannah-only bottle episode.

For what it's worth, for whoever might be searching for clues, here are the episode titles for the rest of the series:

4. Painful Evacuation
    5. Gummies
    6. Full Disclosure
    7. The Bounce
    8. What Will We Do This Time About Adam?
    9. Goodbye Tour
    10. Latching

GodShifter likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Evil incarnate? That's more than a bit much. For one thing, you knew from the start the guy was going to be shown in the way he was because that's how Lena writes men for the most part. But what he did demonstrated clearly to her how women around him react. And while Hannah surely walked out of that apartment upset at him and surprised and disgusted with herself, she can't suggest anything she did wasn't consensual. He manipulated her with flattery ("more than a pretty face"), sure, but she accepted it and allowed herself to fall for it.

It was a very interesting episode to watch and the performances by both were excellent. I don't really like the Hannah-centric episodes for the most part, but this was is probably the best, along with the one from S1 or S2 with Patrick Wilson. And I agree (as Inaptitude said) it would be great viewing/discussion material for high school/college men and women.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  15. Chris from Chicago

Random thoughts...

I have wondered, more than once, if Adam and Jessa's project, consisting of looking back at Hannah and Adam's broken relationship...didn't become the original idea of this show. Sort of like Seinfeld's show about a show scenario. As if the show is just a continuation of what Adam is filming (the fact that THAT would make Adam the central character kind of rules that out).

The actress playing Hannah in the spanking scene (I didn't know it was a scene early on, I thought it was Hannah) made me think...Hannah is looking better...or is it just me? Okay, I was three bourbons in, but still.

When Hannah was told she'd be a terrible mother, even if it was said out of spite and anger, I thought, that's really an awfully mean thing to say.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I sprained two ovaries and a fallopian tube writing this just now.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Doesn't this end soon? (the show...not the thread)

17. bartels76

Yes this is the last season.

Lightworker likes this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Boy, that Linda McCartney song really cut the tension of THAT episode!
    Whew.....

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It was, though probably not untrue.

It seems obvious that filming the Adam/"Mira" project will end Jessa and Adam's relationship. I just hope they don't then use that to send Adam back to Hannah so they can end the show together, with him agreeing to raise her little surf instructor baby.

20. This is an interesting show. I can't understand why Lena likes to look so unattractive on tv. Her character is also repulsive. She has the talent and control to shape this show, and the courage to do it her way. But I still don't get why she needs to make her character so unsympathetic and unattractive.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is a show I've been avoiding for years, but I finally gave in and have been doing the binge thing. Extremely well written, even if the acting sometimes is cringe worthy. I know it's Lena Dunham's show, but it also has the unmistakable stamp of Judd Apatow on it, and by that I mean a very idiosyncratic approach to modern relationships. It also boasts one of the best music soundtracks of any show on the air. I'm always searching after the show is over for music. Here's my one word summary for the big 4:
    Hannah: Narcissist
    Marnie: Narcissist
    Jessa: Narcissist
    Shoshanna: Talkative
    Re: "American Bitch"-(Matthew Rhys episode): Are we sure Hannah isn't a Russian defector?

22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I once dated a girl who looked like the twin of Lena Dunham, even had the same sense of humor.

23. mace

mace Forum Resident

My opinion. Good riddance.

goodiesguy likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Sorry to hear that :laugh:

25. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Of course that's her intention. She also knows it can be humorous. When she went shopping wearing only a green bikini in a previous season was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.