"Time After Time" - The TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DigMyGroove, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rhett likes this.
  2. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

DigMyGroove likes this.
  3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

One of my favorite movies of all time. Did Meyer give any input?

4. DigMyGroove

I'm not sure about any involvement by Meyer. The project is a complete reimagining of the concept by Kevin Williamson. In the series the main characters arrive in contemporary New York City rather than the San Francisco locale used in the film.

Besides using the Jack the Ripper mythology, as it progresses it also incorporates Wells' "Island of Dr. Moreau" novel, but again a bit differently than past adaptations.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Like the film, and the premise does allow for some kind of TV series though it may be one of those that they can't drag out for too many seasons without it getting too repetitive or contrived. I'll give it a shot for sure.

6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I won't last past 6 episodes this time travel binge is getting boring..
    Kevin .. is not being creative.. rather lazy...

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Kevin Williamson is a sharp, creative guy, and I hope he can pull this off. I'll definitely be watching.

Simon A and DigMyGroove like this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I think I saw that he is getting credit for writing the pilot, so I'm guessing that the pilot will follow somewhat the same ground as the movie.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

So is anyone watching this tonight?

So far it seems to be interesting.....

10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I would be interested to know if this is any good !

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Have it DVR'd. Will watch soon.

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I watched the whole 2 hours last night and it was pretty good. I'll continue to watch the next several episodes to see where this goes. But if this turns into a storyline like Timeless where they go to a certain event in history then I'll probably be out.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

too much good stuff on on sundays right now, why do they do this to me....i need the DVR that records 6 shows instead of 2.

14. HGN2001

Just watched the first two episodes (they strung two together to make a 2-hour event). It was quite reminiscent of the movie version with many of the same exact lines. The difference was in the condensing of the story to fit 1:24, and changing the setting from San Francisco to New York, and adding a set of characters not found in the movie.

I'll give it a few more weeks, but as noted above, if it just gets like TIMELESS, we'll be out.

15. DigMyGroove

It will not get like "Timeless", it will venture into a meld with another of Wells' fictions, stay tuned for a fun ride!

16. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

I was looking forward to this but felt it was kind of meh overall. I know the general public wants every show to move along quickly, but I thought this could benefit a bit more with a slower pace that allowed more character and story development. It just felt rushed in the first 2 hours, and I didn't really care for the Wells actor that much. I'll give it another try though.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If I recall correctly (and please correct me if I am 'mis-remembering'), the original novel was set in New York City. I recall there was mention of pieces of the Statue of Liberty in Central Park before it was assembled.

18. DigMyGroove

I've never read rhe book (but really should!). Pieces of Statue of Liberty were on display in New York City parks to aid in fundraising. Here are a couple of photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sgtmono, Rufus McDufus and stereoptic like this.
  19. HGN2001

It's really Elvis Presley's face, ya know...

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought the pilot was well done. However, Episode 2 was a big drop off. I think that is why they were paired together. It is pretty obvious which one Kevin Williamson worked on.

Episode 3 was a bounce back. But, ratings suggest it is already too late.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

22. HGN2001

While I'm not surprised that TIME AFTER TIME isn't doing well, I must point out that the Sunday that it premiered was possibly one of the toughest time-slots of all for watchers of over-the-air TV, Sunday at 9 PM. And that very Sunday saw the week-delayed first-season finale of VICTORIA on PBS at that same time (- it was delayed for the Oscars). We had to juggle schedules and DVRs to get to see MADAM SECRETARY, VICTORIA, and TIME AFTER TIME. We watched MADAM SECRETARY live, recorded TIME AFTER TIME on the DVR, and chose to watch VICTORIA on a local repeat the following Tuesday afternoon.

I wasn't crazy about TIME AFTER TIME - as one of the repliers to the Variety article pointed out, the movie was a classic and this was a pale imitation. None of the cast of this show had the gravitas of Malcolm MacDowall, David Warner, or Mary Steenburgen. Still there were a couple of interesting divergences in the story to make things interesting, like setting the travelled-to location in New York, and the introduction of other plot complications and characters. I suspect the latter is an attempt to make the larger plot a mystery/conspiracy that would serve over a long time, the legacy of LOST.

The second episode was also just OK, nothing special. I'll give it another chance or two, but if it doesn't significantly improve, it'll be another TIMELESS for me - a sampled show that I couldn't stick with.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

was this already cancelled? i haven't seen it on at all.

24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It is on tonight at 9. It is not doing so bad to already be gone.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

that katherine heigel show, "doubt"....cancelled after 2 shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.