Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, clearly I'm just totally out of it as far as music! It's embarassing to hear that people like you are familiar with so many of those artists and I've never even heard of most of them! Sorry for the above rant!

2. prospinna

prospinna Member

Yes to correct mixes (allegedly).

01 Oh! You Pretty Things (BOWPROMO Mix)
    02 Eight Line Poem (BOWPROMO Mix)
    03 Kooks (BOWPROMO Mix)
    04 It Ain't Easy
    5 Queen Bitch (BOWPROMO Mix)
    06 Quicksand (BOWPROMO Mix)
    07 Bombers (BOWPROMO Mix)

Not sure about the between song banter.

Side A
    01 Introduction (Live)
    02 1984 (Live)
    03 Rebel Rebel (Live)
    04 Moonage Daydream (Live)
    05 Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (Reprise) [Live]

Side B
    01 Changes (Live)
    02 Suffragette City (Live)
    03 Aladdin Sane (Live)
    04 All The Young Dudes (Live)
    05 Cracked Actor (Live)

Side C
    01 Rock 'N' Roll With Me (Live)
    02 Knock On Wood (Live)
    03 It's Gonna Be Me (Live)
    04 Space Oddity (Live)

Side D
    01 Diamond Dogs (Live)
    02 Big Brother (Live)
    03 Time (Live)

Side E
    01 The Jean Genie (Live)
    02 Rock 'N' Roll Suicide (Live)
    03 John, I'm Only Dancing (Again) [Live]

Side F
    Etching

e.s. and AZRunner like this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well that makes a lot more sense! I didn't think I was out of it THAT much...thanks for that.

4. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Does not compute.

5. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Here's an example of the silly chat I was talking about...

whatprogress and prospinna like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

exclusive unreleased IO is 14 mins long.

7. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

Any news of a Grateful Dead vinyl release?

8. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Floyd's 'Interstellar Overdrive 1966' record is limited (4.000 copies), hope I have a chance getting it, not in a higher price than mentioned in the list, which was 20 bucks or something.

jlf likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I know, was collecting it from a bootleg previously ;)

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Why on earth is the SFA album a RSD release?? Makes no sense. Should be a catalogue item as its been out of print for years and originals go for lots of money.

Jerry James likes this.
  12. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

My guess is that it'll see a wider release at some point later in the year.

13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

They released the Gem promo mix of one of the tracks (promoted as such) on a recent limited 7", so I'm sure that's what they have in mind.

14. So far these have caught my eye:

Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive [12'']
    Hawkwind - Best Of The United Artists Years: 1971-1974
    David Bowie: BOWPROMO (GEM Promo LP)(1LP Vinyl Box)

Sean likes this.
  15. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

well the owners i spoken with say its out of control as is, if there was limited beatles stuff youd prob see, Target, Walmart and bestbuy get the bulk of them.

But there is definetly a political mission to record store day that has more to do with the retailers than the fans.

16. SoundAdvice

Was Bowie @ Bowl actually multitracked?

17. prospinna

prospinna Member

Grateful Dead: P.N.E. Garden Auditorium, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 7/29/66 (2LP) Limited to 4000

P.N.E. Garden Auditorium, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 7/29/66 marks Grateful Dead's debut performance outside of the United States. Their complete July 29, 1966 performance is being released in a limited edition, 2-LP, 180 gram vinyl-set, with four bonus tracks from the ensuing 7/30 performance at the same venue. Original cover art by Canadian poster artist, Bob Masse. The iconic 60's poster artist has designed original works for artists such as Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller Band, No Doubt, Fiona Apple & Smashing Pumpkins to name a few. The show was mastered from the original audio recordings by GRAMMY winning sound engineer Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering in Petaluma, CA. This audio was first made available in January, 2016 as the bonus disc in the 2-CD The Grateful Dead (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) as it features most of the tracks that would make their way on to the first official Grateful Dead album. It was previously unreleased before this year and is only available as a stand-alone show in this limited edition vinyl set.

Joe Spivey, pigman and Msebb like this.
  18. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Thanks, but this is the list we've been discussing for several pages now (and we don't think it's a UK list, just UK prices). Nothing appealing? Really? It seems awfully solipsistic to declare the year "a dud" just because you have no personal interest in Bowie, Pink Floyd, the Lumineers, Big Star, Robert Johnson, Sia, Jason Isbell, Spoon, the Meters, Townes Van Zandt, Springsteen, the Beach Boys, the Dead, Sun Ra or Cheap Trick, to name just a few who have titles that will be of a lot of interest to their fans. These are not dud acts. And I don't think very many people will call this entire lineup "a dud" unless they're just inclined to hate RSD to begin with.

granata likes this.
  19. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

A dud for me. If there's lots you like then good for you.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

How anyone can give an opinion, when the actual list has not even been released yet.

500Homeruns and Andy Smith like this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I've been out to every RSD event except last year's Black Friday event, which also had lackluster offerings. I've picked up lots of RSD releases, and I've been looking forward to this year's event. That said, I'm not seeing any must-haves here. The Bowie album, maybe, and I'll probably get the Kinks singles because the Kinks, but I'm sorry, there is a wealth of material that has either never appeared on vinyl before and there are albums that could be reissue that are much harder to find as original pressings than some of the things being pushed out the door. I mean, just for starters, I'd rather have Sia's Some People Have Real Problems on vinyl than this Spotify thing.

22. Msebb

Msebb Member

Where did you get the info for the Grateful Dead release? I have the CD released in January of the show but haven't seen anything on any of the boards about that being the RSD release? Appreciate you taking the time to share

23. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

It seems like RSD is a no-win situation here--if it's stuff people already have on CD, there are complaints about that, and if it's wholly exclusive material (which is always more interesting to me), there are complaints about that. I'm sure all of Sia should be on vinyl, in non-limited editions, but that can (and should) happen any time. Previously unreleased Sia recordings have more doorbuster value, and it seems like getting people in the store that day is what RSD is about.

24. SoundAdvice

There's a full paragraph about the Bowie promo being as faithful a recreation as possible. Expect fans to "miss" this one when grabbing stuff at 8 am due to white label cover.

25. SoundAdvice

If the edition counts are reasonable and vinyl only things have an iTunes option, I don't see legit arguments for either of the above scenarios.

Pricing, uber rare limited releases, and gimmick products are really the only valid RSD arguments. "Nothing good" is more subjective, but does have some mild validity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.