Got 500 dollars for a tube amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frankb, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

OTOH, if you have really efficient speakers, the cheapie tube amps can sound really good. I use one in one of my systems and love it.

The OP really needs to fill out his profile for these suggestions to be helpful.

Given the OP's budget and the sound he is after, I would also consider a vintage Sansui solid state integrated or receiver. That will at least give you a warm, non-fatiguing sound, even more than a lot of tube amps, but again, speaker matching is critical. Depending on the speakers, you might get warm and smooth, or you might get muddy and veiled.

Mike34260 likes this.
  2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I bet that sounds pretty great. Especially at that price. I like the tubes it takes. You could buy this now (or when one becomes available), then start saving for some excellent NOS tubes and you could end up with an amp that sounds way better than it's price tag. Speaker sensitivity, like with all the other recommendations, is the key here, as you mentioned.

smctigue likes this.
  3. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I don't now how he does it financially. He completely and thoughtfully rebuilds the amp. Russian K40Y coupling caps with Carbon Comp resistors in the signal path. He must get the amps for next to nothing. He has sold at least six 232s in the last year or so. I've sold all of my other tube amps as this one makes magic with my Cornwalls.

IanL likes this.
  4. Vagante

Vagante Forum Resident

Jolita

5. frankb

frankb Active Member Thread Starter

Im leaning towards the FISHER X-100 from AEAudio. So I'm willing to go a bit over 1,000. Speakers? Dunno. Help.

There are some Apmex speakers with western electric cones. Like the 620 without the the pre. Maybe those? I'll probably just patch my computer headphone out or usb-c to dac something . I don't know. Just got a new MacBook.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Have you heard of the ifi retro 50?

$2000 for a integrated amp and speaker system.

I've been wanting a second system and it looks promising. Headphone amp. Bluetooth. Dac with dsd capability. Built in phono. Fully tube pre and power amp. And speakers based on the BBC 3/5

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I don't know who AEAudio is, but as much as I love my '59 X-100, I wouldn't pay $1000+ for one unless it's gold-plated or something. For that kind of dough you can get a restored 400 or 500, and possibly an 800.

IanL likes this.
  8. action pact

It's worth pointing out that there is more to a tube amp than "warm and smooth" tonality (which not all tube amps have necessarily).
    Tubes also have an uncanny ability to throw a very holographic soundfield.

9. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

The IFI Retro is on sale at Adorama right now. $1100 for just the amp, and $1350 for the amp w/speakers.

iFi Amplifier
    iFi Retro Stereo 50

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]
    Technology,I gave $600

Kyhl likes this.
  11. action pact

I can't comment on its performance, but they sure got the aesthetics right!

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That does look great. I cant remember ever hearing from anyone that owns one. Which is odd considering the relatively affordable price point

13. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Odd, I don't see the sale at all.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  14. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

It must have just ended recently, I guess.

whaiyun likes this.
  15. frankb

I'm going to have to slum it a bit. There was a 500 dollar amp posted in this thread but I can't find the post? It looks like a car part but I'm interested. You had to get on a waiting list for it?

Ive heard of this 3d sound from tubes. I have yet to experience that. Never been in a room with a nice tube set up.

People on music forums are all over pultecs and telefunken gear.

16. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I had a 400 back in the 60's. It was nice.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What I recall of reviews I've read are "amp good, speakers terrible".

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. frankb

smctigue likes this.
  19. frankb

forgive me. Im a little new to audiophile terminology. In baby talk what are efficient speakers? Also, what would you reccomend . Thankyou everybody

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

not surprising, very few companies do both amps and speakers very well. Seems like there is a lot going on in that box for $1,500. 25 class A tube watts, a phono, a DAC and BT streaming. One would think with all that going on there would be a few members here talking about it. The fact that you can't see the tubes probably holds it back.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

efficient speakers are speakers that don't need much power from an amp to sound good...and loud. You will see it in the specks on speaker details generally it will look like 83 db to 101db. if the speaker isn't about 95bd or higher it isn't a good match for low powered tubes. Klipsch speakers are generally the most affordable hi sensitivity speakers.

22. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

23. frankb

Thanks for the explanation.

Would the Pilot SA232 amp work well with a pair of Altec 755-C's?

progrocker likes this.
  24. action pact

I dunno about the 755-C, but the earlier 755-A apparently is very efficient. The 755-C debuted in 1959, so it is from the era of low-powered tube amps.

[​IMG]

Ron Scubadiver likes this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.