Vinyl subscription services...opinions? Audio fiidelty, acoustic sounds, etc....

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by honestabe316, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel Thread Starter

Has anyone joined one of the subscription services offered by these companies or others ? Any thoughts or opinions?

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I've done a couple through Acoustic Sounds. The Classic Records RCA Living Stereo series, the ORG London/Decca 45 series and the first Music Matters 45 series. It's a fine service if you want to insure you get all the titles, some offer the same serial numbers, and the first run of pressings. Just make sure your credit card handle it.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  3. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I did the sub pop singles club twice back in the 90s. Neat to get stuff,especially then,that you didn't know about and had to listen to find out about.

Ultimately didn't listen to them after a while. Always seemed the best record picks were the month before I signed up or immediately the month after it lapsed

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Always a risk. AF, for example, has done some very good titles. And then there are many that I couldn't care less about. Im not a member for that reason. Same goes for any of the other subscribe type outfits.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

This.

6. honestabe316

I was saddened to see that acoustic sounds has stopped subscriptions for the series I would be interested in such as blue notes, riverside, etc......I guess you could sell the ones you didn't really want but that's a hassle......they have availability with the prestige reissues but seems like not a lot of top recordings...more obscure stuff......I'm going to look at the music matters subscriptions as they have the finest sounding vinyl in my limited experience.....

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I've been trying to subscribe to MM's final set for the last week, but, in talking with their customer service, they have yet to receive any of the submissions I've made through the web site.

8. honestabe316

I was just looking at that too.....do they send 2 lp's per month? Thier website doesn't explain much...unless I just can't find it

9. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

i think most of them send 2-3 every two three months to save the shipping

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Typically yes, but since the final set is already all released, if you want to subscribe to it you'll have to subscribe to (I.e pay for) the entire series at once, which they will ship all at once. This I asked and confirmed with Lori of their customer service.

11. honestabe316

Considering I just bought a new rig and cartridge I don't see myself paying up front for all at once.....too bad I was too late with all the subscription series from AF, AP, and MM's.....I'll just buy the standard way I guess:)....I wish that Mofi would do something similar with the 1 Step UD1S Series they have started......is be in for that

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, it is a lot to plop down all at once. After looking at the lineup I decided to go ahead with it, out of the 13 releases in the final set I only have one of them, Lee Morgan's Search for the New Land, and that is only an mp3 at that. Plus I was coming in fresh off of the purchase of my first Music Matters 45 titles from earlier series, which I really enjoy, so all that coupled with the fact that it is the supposed last set leaned me towards subscribing. Happily, I just got an email from Lori in their customer service that she finally received the submission that I made yesterday (3rd times a charm, I guess) and will be shipping the set it out shortly.

True about the Mofi 1 Step, but at $100 a pop, I don't know if I'll be going there or not.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It depends upon what matters to you. If the above is a priority/concern then the AF subscription route probably isn't for you. I would also add that AF's pricing (incl S&H) -- even with the member discount -- is on the high-end of things, not the low end.

However a member gets everything AF releases (for better or worse), with absolutely minimal effort (no searching for the best price, who has it in stock, no pre-ordering or subsequent canceled orders, etc), and they get it earlier than the general public (often by a week or two). And by getting everything, members sometimes stumble into new enjoyable music they otherwise wouldn't ever hear. They also get the occasional extra goodie, get included in periodic drawings for test pressings (I've never won one, urrrgh), and get the same edition number for each release (I have #0034 of every Audio Fidelity CD/SACD and vinyl release). If those benefits outweigh the drawbacks, then it's probably worth it.

14. honestabe316

The santana abraxas is amazing......on the upside, they already sell for $400 online....it's definitely an
    Interesting......I'll have to weigh out the pros and cons......I'm a little late to the game with some of the subscriptions especially the AS ones.....the blue notes would have been great if I had gotten in when they started.....darn

15. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

16. honestabe316

Almost $70 per record for musicians
    I have never heard of is a bit scary..

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  17. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

yea, I wish more labels would do this at a close to cost way to expose their lesser selling bands, along with some of the better knowns. (s o you know you were getting something you like and maybe some other similar)

It seems like a cash grab if they are charging more for guaranteed sales.

18. honestabe316

On a similar note....remember the Columbia house, bmg, & RCA music clubs? I know that record sales are strong and have been for a few years but nothing like they were in the heyday.....it's too bad someone couldn't tweak those business models and offer a similar type service now.....I know the boutique label material is too costly to offer 10 for a penny.....but maybe something could be figured out to work....I know it won't....just being nostalgic I guess

heyMo and Deaf_in_ LA_1974 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.