New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

PS- I've got a few titles coming up using the honest-goodness original masters! More announcements in the next few weeks. Also, in the case of BAD, I could have rightfully called that tape "the master tape" in the sense that my understanding is there is no other tape in the UK or US, or at least one that's playable. But as I've said, I don't play games, I tell people what's what. And the tape box said "copy" not master.

2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Same as Wonderland- better in every way but especially the bass. We had mastering notes from the original US LPs and the bass filtered below 40Hz on both Erasure titles. I'm guessing to keep the needles in the groove for the kiddos back in the day because it wasn't a time-per-side issue. In addition the vocals on the originals are a bit zingy. Very sharp, ring vocals. Kevin is expert at leaving the midrange and treble energy intact but taming it a bit so Andy's voice is really improved on these. Of course, having full bass extension does BAD was another, I just wasn't sure what to expect and then was really floored). I really love these two Erasure records. If Circus never comes out it will be a disappointment that sticks with me for a long time.

3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

No, that's an admirable thing! We all appreciate your transparency. While it seems hypothetically advantageous to have a master tape to work from, lots of good-sounding LPs were historically cut from tape dupes.

jimhb, johnnypaddock and IR Shane like this.
  4. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

So many titles were cut from EQ'd "cutting copies" it's reasonable to wonder how many titles were ever cut directly from masters. Not to mention recordings from the UK, and elsewhere. I wouldn't want to try and make a living A/Bing masters and flat copies and guessing which is which.

5. googlymoogly

There's a mono British reissue of Sinatra's "In the Wee Small Hours" that sounds better than any U.S. release I've personally heard, apparently cut from flat dupes sent to the UK sometime in the '60s. You're right, it's probably difficult to tell which was cut from which apparently...it was just standard operating procedure in the vinyl era to widely use dupes.

IR Shane likes this.
  6. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

It makes sense that the masters stay in the country where mixing and mastering occurred, and dupes or lacquers would go elsewhere. Interestingly, reading Phill Brown's book on at least several occasions he'd fly over to the US with tapes to have lacquers cut because he thought US cutting was better. So in that case I'd assume US versions of UK-recorded LPs were cut from lacquers made from Phill's masters. other engineers might have done this too.

googlymoogly likes this.
  7. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Looks like I am going to have to get the IR pressing of Wonderland! I hope you move some more.. I really want to get to the Circus!

IR Shane likes this.
  8. googlymoogly

DeRosa and IR Shane like this.
  9. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out! Hilarious story- Michael emailed me and said Christine's Tune was playing on the radio. I've been a little sick this week and kinda out of it. I totally didn't get that HE was playing it on his radio show! Super cool! True story- I was record shopping with Mikey in Tacoma and bought my A&M original of Gilded Palace at his insistence. When I grew up my uncle played them a lot, and they were from cassettes he made from his LPs. I never really knew the titles even though I knew the band, and it turns out most of it was from their later stuff. Mikey introduced me to this record!

googlymoogly likes this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I bought that. Its actually perfectly balanced for frisbee throwing.
    My son loves it

IR Shane and DeRosa like this.
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I listened to Mikey's show today, and he played Gene Clark and Burrito Brothers: She Darked the Sun right after the cut from your pressing of Gilded Palace,
    and it was like the sound went from FM and AM.

IR Shane likes this.
  12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Meaning mine sounded better?

13. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

That made me laugh! My oldest son plays Ultimate and can chuck a frisbee like a boss!

Stu02 likes this.
  14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Good enough to buy! :) I'm ordering it for sure.

IR Shane likes this.
  15. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

+1

16. Andy Pandy

+1

17. Andy Pandy

Agree. Was very surprised to see this. I'm very happy with the Pure Pleasure releases in my collection (ca 25).

18. Andy Pandy

What about the Stones Roses' debut album as a double 45 rpm release? I know it has been done in this format but that was 25 years ago. A fantastic album deserving the audiophile treatment.

19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

My wish right now is for IR to repress Pulp's Different Class.

20. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Shane - How about Fastball. If you've ever listened to their stuff, it's very eclectic and wide-ranging. I did a quick search on MusicStack and the only hits were a 12" and 7" single. So, their catalog hasn't been released on LP (as far as I know: yeah, not very scientific, but ...)

21. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

mikemoon - on the Kings of Leon, I got a tip from a KOL thread here to look for a box set of their first four albums called The Early Albums, which I picked up for about $20 (new) on eBay. I already had all of them, except for the first album, on single LPs which sounded like they were mastered from CD. The box set versions are all double 180g LPs mastered by Chris Bellman from the original master tapes and they crush the single LP versions in every respect. Fantastic job by Chris. I think that all of these have been released individually now.

IR Shane and mikemoon like this.
  22. Shane... maybe you answered this somewhere back in the thread, or maybe it hasn't been suggested at all... but how about a few albums from the band Squeeze? Tremendous pop gems and extremely underrated (barely even known, for the most part in the USA, except for "tempted"). But some AAA re-issues of "cool for cats", "argybargy", or "east side story" would be instant purchase for me! "Argybargy" is one of my favorite all time albums.

GetHappy!!, IR Shane and Clonesteak like this.
  23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

In The Court of The Crimson King cut from the master tape by Kevin Gray??

sully12 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  24. googlymoogly

Isn't this album missing its master tape?

25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I thought they found it and that was the source for the 2010 digital version. I could be wrong.