What's going on with Popmarket online store?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by telepicker97, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njstrummer

njstrummer Forum Resident

Waiting for my Last Waltz Super Deluxe, ordered on 1/20, said it would ship 2/3...no where in sight. Tempted to dispute with CC company. Is it worth contacting customer service? Is there a phone number ? ?

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd give customer service a try first but don't worry about being overly patient. If no reply hit up your credit card.

3. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

as said above contact customer service, i got a reply within 24hours for a similar issue and got a refund. If you dont get a reply within a day i'd just dispute it

4. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Hope they come back soon, though it's better for my wallet this way. Latest purchases were the Beatles' Mono set and the SRV SACD set from them, both at really good prices. Somehow managed to receive everything undamaged over the years, despite sometimes flimsy packaging. I emailed them a few times to cancel orders that took way too long to ship and they always responded within a couple of days (granted, not the best response time, but I did hear back).

An odd business approach though. Completely shut down sales for weeks to "upgrade a website?"

5. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Any word yet?

6. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I have an order pending. It's been over 30 days and they have not shipped. As of 9 days ago, they insist they still plan to send the item. But the site is down and I can't even check status any longer. Are these guys out of business or what?

7. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

That really sucks to hear. I hope that this is not true.

8. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

If paid with PayPal, open a case there, and they'll reply. If by credit card, you'll have to dispute it.

9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I sent a note asking Popmarket for a refund. If I do not hear back in 48 hours I will open a PayPal case.

10. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

It seems Popmarket may really be gone for good.

The PM website's been on hiatus for about 5-6 weeks now. Even after the site went AWOL, they'd been posting daily to their Twitter account and responding to questions. That completely stopped about 10 days ago... now it's just upset customers wanting their orders, but no reply.

Too bad; I got some good deals from them over the years (SRV, Beatles sets).

Any other similar places in operation? I always order from the same ones (Soundstagedirect, Musicdirect, elusivedisc). They're all great... It was just fun to see what Popmarket had on order each day, although their recent foray into fashion, artwork & other stuff was pretty useless. Really enjoyed the 1 Deal per Day format.

11. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Open the case

tmtomh and masterbucket like this.
  12. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Yeah, open the case.

Looks like they filed for bankruptcy in August (chap 11, so they could keep operating). Interesting read if you've got a business or finance background. They went from 100+ employees down to 11 after they were sold off last April, and basically outsourced most of their operations.

I'll be surprised to see anything more from them.

Tjazz and MerseyBeatle like this.
  13. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Wow that really really sucks! They sent me a $50 gift certificate that I, most likely, cannot use now.
    Kinda evil, huh?

14. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I don't hold onto gift certificates anymore. As soon as I get them, I use them.
    I've been burned too. Not from Pop Market, but other places going out of business (especially restaurants).:realmad:

15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Very sad to hear! Glad I got the Presley 60-CD set when I did.

16. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Not really evil (it's just business), but it does suck. Who knows, they may come back and honor it, but it's not looking good.

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

just did. thanks for the advice

18. putz

putz Forum Resident

Done in by a lease they could not get out of for space they no longer needed.

Galley likes this.
  19. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Exactly - $100k/mo is nothing to laugh at when you're only bringing in $50k/week.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Popmarket no longer appears to be responding to facebook messages. I've escalated a paypal dispute for the T Rex record I never received. Kinda sad to see. I got a number of good deals from them over the years.

21. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones who got my Tom Petty Box set #2 before things got out of hand. I did pay with Paypal just in case the worst happened. They did have some good deals. Maybe too good and this is what drove the nail in the coffin for them. It is a business with a lot of competition and narrow profit margins....

Galley likes this.
  22. They began business selling items with thin profit margins at a loss to build their customer base. You have to run an incredibly tight ship to survive in the current music market.

23. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Weren't they owned by Sony, or at least originally? I always assumed they were an outlet for clearance and pre-order items from the majors. I can't imagine they were paying the going wholesale rate that a regular retailer would pay.

24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Looks like Popmarket may be gone. The web site is down and no Facebook updates either.

25. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

They also have not responded to the paypal dispute I escalated about 10 days ago.

Folks, if you have anything pending with them, get a paypal dispute opened AND get it escalated quickly.

Cake likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.