Got 500 dollars for a tube amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frankb, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankb

frankb Active Member Thread Starter

the Pilot says its 300 watts total.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm not familiar with that amp. Certainly it's not a tube amp at 300 watts. There is no need for a sensitive speaker with that kind of power.

Agitater likes this.
  3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

16 wpc, or 32 wpc bridged to mono

smctigue and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. IanL

IanL Senior Member

what preamp will you be pairing the Pilot with?

5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

If an X-100 is professionally restored, is in excellent cosmetic condition (preferable with the wood case), and retains good-testing vintage tubes (or NOS tubes), I can think of worse ways to spend $1000. I have both an X-100 and a 400. In terms of overall sound quality, I give the nod to the X-100 with its EL-84 output tubes (though tube configurations vary depending on the X-100 model one has... the X-100B uses 7686 output tubes if I remember correctly). If one doesn't need a radio tuner and just wants an amp for vinyl, CDs, etc, the X-100 might be a better choice over a receiver.

Hopefully the OP realizes that the Pilot amp (which he is now leaning towards) is just a power amp... and that he will need also need a preamp if he wants to control volume, tone, etc... and if he wants multiple sources for inputs (vinyl, CD, tape, iPod). Much of the tube "magic" occurs in the preamp, so unless the OP has a decent preamp setup already, I would steer towards an integrated setup like the Fisher X-100 or similar.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yup, having owned both a restored 400 and restored EL84-powered X-100, the little X-100 was the one I kept. They are easier to service too, due to the much simpler circuitry.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  7. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Good luck! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Do you think 16w is enough to drive 95db speakers?

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It should be fine.

By comparison, I use 85dB efficient speakers (KEF LS50's) with my 14 wpc Fisher, and it gets plenty loud in my small listening room.

10. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

With tube amps, efficiency does not matter as much as how easy it is to drive. By that I mean that the impedance curve and phase angle curves are benign. I heard a pair of the old LS3\5a BBC monitor speakers in a large room being driven by 18 watt amps and that was plenty enough for speakers with a low 80's efficiency. The fact that the nominal impedance is a very friendly 15 ohms had a lot to do with that. On the other hand, a Wilson speaker with a rated 96 db\watt efficiency turned out to be a very difficult speaker to match to even reasonably powerful tube amps.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

12. frankb

I bought the GemTune..Its too easy to spend money the days!

Rick58 likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought you sold a TUBE amp for 500 bucks.

Gumboo likes this.
  14. frankb

got Acoustech Pl-980's to go with it. I hope I did good. :-/

15. Mike 33

Mike 33 Active Member

If you got speakers with a reasonable sensitivity (90db and up) you could have a look at the Synthesis Nimis, 2x15W class A.

Got one myself and drive Wilson Watt Puppy (DIY) no problem. Got mine for €375.

If you shop around you can also find some NOS at about €699.

16. frankb

its set in stone. Im getting a gemtune gs-02 and Acoustech Pl-980's

I can see how this could become an obsession

Rick58 likes this.
  17. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Be sure to report back when you've had some time to listen to it!

Rick58 likes this.
  18. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

I'm really liking my Bell/TRW stuff right now, not as high quality as Fisher or Scott, but good build quality, easy to work on, and sound great.
    Just a few years ago they were always cheap and under the radar.

Shipping was always more than the cost of the units. Those days are gone. 500 bucks just doesn't go that far in the tube world these days it seems.

I'm going to refurbish my Scott 299-C maybe next winter. It's original, unmolested, and still 100% functional. I mothballed it since it's way overdue for service. It's awesome, and if that's what the Fishers sound like, I can see why they are so popular. If you come across a Scott unit for the right price, I highly recommend them.

19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I dont think you could go wrong with a Fisher amp that has been completley refurbished for safe operation.
    It could never sound "bad", but maybe not exactly what youre looking for.

20. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Honestly, sorry to be blunt, forget it. Cheap and Tubes are a match made in hell.
    Move on or save up.

21. frankb

people like the akai m8 preamp and its dirt cheap. Maybe the real bargains are old reel to reels

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not 300 watts/channel RMS. 300 watts power consumption is believable. Realistically 20-30 watts per channel RMS, 20-20,000 Hertz, both channels driven, and less than 1 percent total harmonic distortion. That said, the tube era Pilot amplifiers and receivers were very good sounding and well built classics.

389 Tripower likes this.
  23. ScottInDallas

ScottInDallas Forum Resident

Yep, I own it :)

I like it quite a bit. Still using the stock tubes but plan on tube rolling soon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    bluemooze, Rick58 and Steve G like this.
  24. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

I was going to recommend an Elekit DX-8200, but it looks like the price on those is closer to $750 nowadays.

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.