The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

We only pointed that out as you'd said it had all the features of the UHP-H1 when there is one glaring omission which, for those who don't have an amplifier with a digital input (ie most stereo amplifiers) renders the new Sony useless. For home cinema, for which it is designed, it's fine.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

How high a quality do we expect the analog outputs on a $350 (or whatever) Sony Blu-ray player to be? This strikes me as the kind of gadget you'd want to use with your own D/A converter, anyhow.

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Oh goody, can we get a price adjustment on the UHP-1 in aisle 4?

4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

It was marked down several times to $299 in 2016. I'm predicting it will go lower in 2017 with the introduction of Sony's two new 4K players.

mdm08033 likes this.
  5. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

$249 and I'm in.

dbsea likes this.
  6. matsel

matsel Well-Known Member

has anyone heard the analog out on this? is it good? or is an external dac necessary?

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Sorry for my ignorance here, how do i get the best of my sacd with this player knowing that i do not have an hdmi capable amp.
    For information i do not a multi-channel setup.

9. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

You can use the UHP-H1's analogue output.

Or, you can use the digital output from the UHP-H1's S/PDIF optical output, but it will be downsampled to (I think) 48 kHz. The same applies to all SACD players.

Or, you can buy an HDMI de-embedder. Then, you can attach the UHP-H1 to the de-embedder by HDMI, and you will be able you to receive a 176.4 kHz stream from the de-embedder's S/PDIF output.

10. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for he information, so i guess hdmi de-embedder is the way to go as coax output seems to be unactive when playing sacd.

11. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Oppos are released with many bugs require constant updates and I would never touch another one with a barge pole ,look at consumer reviews on Amazon etc, the latest 203 is troublesome.

12. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

This NOT a review, just a description, will the X800 sound any better than the UHP-H1 ?

13. DanielS978

DanielS978 New Member

Yes, but on my wireless it skips a 1/10s on every other track. Have not tried wired connection. Chromecast audio doesn't skip but the UHP is behind more furniture so it might be that. I also have a bug that makes the player hang if I have a CD in the player when starting spotify connect.

Spotify sounds slightly better than with Chromecast Audio on my system (low end hifi system). Have not compared CD or high res audio files to another decent player. Found a link to a review (Music in the Round #81: Classé Sigma Mono amplifier, Sony UHP-H1 universal player Page 2 ), he's not impressed by the analog output.

I wanted a BD player with a decent DA and that could handle Spotify connect. Overall I'm satisfied with the UHP-H1 but due to the bugs I'm not sure that I would buy the same player again if it broke down. For example I do use the netflix app a lot, for me it's more convenient to start netflix on the BD player than on my phone and then connect to chromecast. However, I still use the chromecast a lot for streaming services not available for the UHP-H1.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  14. back2vinyl

I will try this when I get a chance but you should be able to play an SACD through the digital coax output at 48 kHz. If you go to my OP, and click on the link to the manual, see p29 - the Digital Audio Output should be set to Auto.

15. back2vinyl

To be fair the Sony UHP-H1 has had two or three firmware updates but they come via the network connection so they don't require any effort from the user. I don't know what they've fixed - I've never noticed any bugs.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  16. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

18. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Best Buy also has it for $198.oo. I, too suspect it is being phased out. Great deal though for a universal player. Not an Oppo but for a secondary, office or garage system it is a deal...

19. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

How's the analog out of this model? I've been thinking about dipping my toes into SACD but for cheap.

20. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Well...I just checked on Sony's website and they conveniently don't have a picture of the back of the new UBP-X800. I then went to Crutchfield.com and they do show the back and not only is there no analog output but they also eliminated the optical output as well. It only comes with 2 HDMI out and a Coaxial digital out. The MSRP is also only $299 vs. $349 for the UHP-H1. If you are on the fence about the UHP-H1 I would grab one while you can. Prices may go lower but $198 both at Amazon and BB is a pretty good deal.

Sheesh, leave it to Sony to give us a fairly decent player (UHP-H1) and then go backwards once again (UBP-X800).....

I did order one. I have 2 Oppo's but the thought of being able to play DVD-A and SACD (analog out) in my garage system with my vintage receiver made this decision easy.

21. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Does tthe UHP-H1 have a network media player? Like playing videos/music off my NAS?

22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes. Works OK.

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

A friend of mine, who is VERY technically adept with this kind of stuff (he's in a similar business) says the 203 (his 4th Oppo) is the "buggiest" of the bunch.
    He figures it's probably the last time he'll buy one.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

That's not what I want to hear since I am very tempted to use part of my tax refund to get the 203.

For $200, I ordered an UHP-H1 from Best Buy. One can never have too many SACD capable players.

dbsea likes this.
  25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It's not my intention to dissuade or discourage anyone from buying an Oppo.
    I'm talking about one person's opinion/experience.
    Heck, despite the less than glowing review of a person I trust, I'm still considering buying one in the hope Oppo works out the bugs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.