David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

It shouldn't be too long before we hear some kind of announcement about this. Andy Jackson just posted on Facebook, "Finishing live show mixes with David. All hush hush."

I think it's safe to assume that the feature will be an edit of the 2 Pompeii shows with a bunch of bonus material I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wroclaw show included (video) and some audio from the final RAH shows. I expect to see multiple format and number of discs options along the lines of his Gdansk release.

deany76, Tor33rpm, Merman and 31 others like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Which is the very definition of A Treasure. David Gilmour - Live In Gdańsk

In fact, I believe it's time to dust it off and play it again.
    Sam. :laugh:

3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

So this is his fourth live release in the 21st century, I think? Meltdown, Remember That Night, Gdansk and now this…

I don't have any of them- which is best?

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Since we have a Blu ray of Remember That Night, I'd be tempted to say it, but you really need them all. :agree:

5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm still upset I missed out on limited edition of Gdansk and the vinyl. The remember blu ray is outstanding. Can't wait for this.

6. Floyd fan 71

Floyd fan 71 Forum Resident

I will grab this day one . Bring it on !

Sean, Jerry Horne, SteveFff and 3 others like this.
  7. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I will get this as well even though I didn't care for his new album at all. The Remember That Night blu-ray was just that good!

ryaneagon and Hattipper like this.
  8. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Caught this show in Chicago and it was one of the most enjoyable nights of live music I've experienced in quite some time. The Pompeii show release in whatever form will be an easy decision, Buy It!

9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

At the right speed I hope!

Linger63 likes this.
  10. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

:goodie: Extremely excited for this! This will be my first live Gilmour album (minus the Floyd ones of course).

11. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

Automatic buy.

12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

But hopefully with a BD this time....:)

rstamberg likes this.
  13. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I was at one of the Chicago shows also and I too thought it was one of the best shows by anyone (and certainly the best arena show) I'd seen in a while. I was blown away.

I've been eagerly awaiting this release.

14. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

15. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I very much like this concert (I have dvd), but I want to have BD-issue. A problem of my player that he can't play a zone 1 or 2. Somebody knows whether there is version zone 0?

16. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Having been there the second night (and hoping that's the night David uses on video :) ) right at the front of the stage, I can't say exactly how excited I am for this. It was plain and simple the most magical night of my life.

@rontoon , can you change the title of the topic from "in Pompeii" to "at Pompeii"? Just to match the classic release ;)

coffeetime, JulesRules and SteveFff like this.
  17. NunoBento

Having been there the second night (and hoping that's the night David uses on video :) ) right at the front of the stage, I can't say exactly how excited I am for this. It was plain and simple the most magical night of my life.

@rontoon , can you change the title of the topic from "in Pompeii" to "at Pompeii"? Just to match the classic release ;)

18. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I haven't heard Meltdown, but the Gdansk show is especially good.

19. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I have a boot of a Krakow show from last year. One of the best albums I got in 2016. I made copies for numerous friends and they all agree.

20. I'm not familiar with the Pompeii concert in terms of song selection, so I have a question. Does DG perform ECHOES? The Gdansk version with him and Rick Wright was their last live performance, and I thought I heard someone mention it would be the last time he would cover it.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Count me in.

22. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

For those that have Remembert That Night on Blu Ray, is there such a jump in quality between the DVD and The Blu Ray?

I already have the DVD of this so i was wondering.

JulesRules and Jack like this.
  23. NunoBento

As for the discussion of which night would be best for inclusion in this release, I'm gonna paste here my take on the subject which I wrote on a Pink Floyd forum.

Having attended 7 concerts throughout the whole tour, namely the first in Pula (and previous day rehearsal) and the last at RAH, as well as both Hollywood Bowl concerts, Verona, Firenze and Pompeii, this is what I have to say:

Pula was the most magical and the most impressive scenario... if it wasn't for Pompeii. Obviously the performance was significantly flawed, which is something I hold dearly in my heart, as I got to witness that David - creator of heavenly sounds - is, in fact, a human being. It was the most human performance I've ever seen of him.

On the other end of the spectrum, performance wise, is the last night at RAH. That was the best performance I've EVER seen or heard of David in his solo career and yes, I'm counting RAH 2006 and all that. Earth-shattering. For a strictly audio release, that would be my first choice for the main feature. However, we all know that David is going for a video/audio combo and since we already got RAH from the last tour and he played in so many iconic places this time around, I never saw another RAH as a real possibility.
    More or less the same could be said about Wroclaw w/ orchestra, which would emulate Gdansk from 2006, but this time without Rick and "Echoes".

Hollywood Bowl. As it was said on this thread by people who attended the concert, the visuals were really spectacular. The coins falling on "Money", the lasers on "Run Like Hell", or the first performance of "What Do You Want From Me?" since 1994, those are all moments that I will cherish for my whole life. However, the perfomance was IMO (and comparing to all the other gigs I attended) very cold, mechanical and overall underwhelming. I don't know what was going on with the band, we heard some tensions were flowing, but what I remember was a great show marred by a band going through the motions. Again, this is just my opinion, what I felt from being there. Official release, as in "David Gilmour Live At The Hollywood Bowl"? God, no. (although it does sound cool). One or two bonus tracks in a release with another main feature, to show off the great spectacle that it was? Yes, please.

Pompeii. Well, the first public-attended show since the romans, the #ReturnToPompeii (maybe that will be the name of the release) once-in-a-lifetime event... Historically and iconically, no other concert of the tour can touch this one. The visuals were the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, although we still have to see how it will all translate to film. The performance was warm (unlike Hollywood), but quite nervous. Chester Kamen was a beast on fire. David made a few mistakes which can be corrected on the final film. All in all, Pompeii is an obvious choice for the best balance between performance and visuals. We'll see how it all materializes but the excitement, oh the excitement. :)

24. I'm not familiar with the Pompeii concert in terms of song selection, so I have a question. Does DG perform ECHOES? The Gdansk version with him and Rick Wright was their last live performance, and I thought I heard someone mention it would be the last time he would cover it.

25. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

For those that have Remembert That Night on Blu Ray, is there such a jump in quality between the DVD and The Blu Ray?

I already have the DVD of this so i was wondering.

Jack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.