REVIEW: Record Doctor V Record Cleaning Machine from Audio Advisor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I have in mind buy this but my fear is that vacum breaks and I need to return and pay for return... for that reason I see a little advantage on the KAB EV-1 becuase I add my own vaccum, but well Im try to decide which of both buy, also the KAB EV-1 have less weigth.

2. Here's another big thumbs up for the Record Doctor V. I got mine from AA this past summer after lurking on, and getting motivation from, this thread. Using a $50 gift card got my price down to $149 which made this decision a total no-brainer. I've cleaned several hundred records and have gone through two of the felt "lips" that go over the vacuum slot. My only (minor) complaints are the unit's loud noise and the Chinese/industrial smell it makes. I mitigate the former by wearing hearing protection (thanks for the tip Mikey Fremer!) and the latter by just cracking open a window.

My procedure is slightly different from what's been described.

1) Destaticize vinyl with Zero Stat gun.
    2) Brush with Discwasher brush off worst dirt & dust (using an old brush that is only used for this purpose and never on clean vinyl).
    3) Apply generous amount of fluid with Record Doctor "brush" working it into the grooves well.
    4) After scrubbing down both sides, proceed to vacuum record on RDV keeping rotation speed at or below 10 rpm, 4-5 revolutions are plenty.
    5) Remove record and apply a fine misting of distilled water from spray bottle.
    6) Vacuum clean record again to remove rinse water and any residual cleaning fluid.
    7) Final polish with a clean multi-fiber cloth.
    8) Play record immediately or store in MFSL inner sleeve and return to jacket.

hhjack likes this.
  3. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

Nice to hear the new model works well! I've had the Record Doctor II for over a decade with no problems (1,000+ records cleaned). I've just replaced the felt strips around the suction opening as normal maintenance. This guys old review is pretty spot on for how I feel about the unit: https://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/record_doctor2_review.htm

His only complaint that I definitely agree with is that I wear ear plugs because it is like standing next to an old school vacuum. Not sure if the new models run quieter.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

The Record Doctor V - weigh: 11 lbs
    KAB EV-1 - weight 4.5 lbs

5. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I know this is an old thread but i'm looking at both of these systems and was looking for feedback from someone who has had both.

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I have one and probably cleaned close to 100 albums. but never had any water to flush out. In fact, the drain tube at the bottom is unplugged and nothing comes out, ever. Does it just evaporate from the heat of the motor?

CCrider92 likes this.
  7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

In 10 or 11 years of use not a drop has come out of mine. Evaporation - I use Nitty Gritty Pure 2.

8. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply! I was a bit concerned but couldn't confirm my suspicions

CCrider92 likes this.
  9. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Just ordered an RD-V and KAB, definitely influenced by this thread. Can't wait for it to arrive. Have about 100 new acquisitions waiting to be cleaned because I loathe the Spin Clean + drying method.

CCrider92 likes this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Slow and steady on the rotate. Works great!

DougRuss and Rob9874 like this.
  11. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I have to kinda shake mine over the sink to get the liquid out the reservoir. Just take the platter and spinner off first.

12. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I've owned the KAB since it first came out. Love it.

13. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

So I recently purchased the RD V and I'm liking it a lot, but I have one major complaint. That is that the sweep strips on it leave little "threads", almost like tiny bristle pieces, on the album after vacuuming. I do not use the brush that comes with it. I use a super soft paint pad to apply Tergitol solution, then vacuum, then rinse in distilled water in my Spin Doctor, then vacuum again. I feel like the sweeper pads should be felt, but mine aren't. They're soft, but do have those pesky bristles. Does anyone know where to get felt replacement pads? This is driving me crazy! (Yes, OCD, I know!)

14. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Oh man, I bought my RD V to streamline my cleaning process and not do the spin clean thing. You're doing both, followed by a 2nd vacuum? Sounds like work more than enjoyment. :)

cdash99 likes this.
  15. russk

russk Forum Resident

Amazon.com: Record Doctor Sweeper Strip Kit: Health & Personal Care

My unit came with a couple, maybe you've got some still in the box?

16. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

No danger of that if you simply keep the mat clean...more danger of dirt hiding in the fabric of the towel.

17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"You don't want sand...in that" -???

Y'know, after a long day at the beach with my records, I worry about the sand, not just between my toes and in my naughty bits, but in the grooves of my LPs and 45s.

This is when I pull out my Record Doctor from Audio Advisor. Though it does nothing for the sand between my toes, and you don't want to know any more about my naughty bits, it leaves the surfaces of my records sparklingly clean. Just make sure to get that sand from the velvet lips. NO, not the ones on your face, silly, the ones on the Record Doctor, from Audio Advisor!

18. Beachtraveler

Well, you've got to rinse off the Tergitol, and since I already have the Spin Klein, seemed like an easy assembly line

19. Beachtraveler

I'll double check the box, but I didn't see any others. Are yours felt or velvet? Do you find pieces of fiber on your lps after vacuuming?

Edit: if you zoom in on the 3rd picture on the Amazon link, you can see the fibers im talking about. I wind up with half a dozen in each side of my lps. Seems like a velvet sweeper would eliminate that problem?

20. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I use the spin clean and then vacuum off the water - the best of both worlds

Slippers-on likes this.
  21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Not that I've noticed. Records come off nice, shiney, and clean. I have found that you only get about 100 records or about 4 months of use out of pad. They seem to dry out and get hard at that point.

I would describe them as velvet but they are the ones that came with it from Audio Advisor.

22. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

beachtraveler, the RD used to be made by Nitty Gritty - mine was made by NG for Audio Advisor - I suggest you get new strips from Nitty Gritty - they also offer the NG brush and Pure 2 cleaning fluid - I've been using all of these for 10+ years or so. I've no affiliation with NG, BTW.

Beachtraveler likes this.
  23. Beachtraveler

So these seem to be what's already on my machine: Nitty Gritty Vac Sweep Replacement Kit-Audio Advisor They don't say they're velvet. Are these the replacement strips you're referring to? If so, I don't see any difference to the strips on my RD. When I look on the NG site, there aren't pics of the replacement strips, but I assume they're these.

CCrider92 likes this.
  24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I don't know if AA is getting their strips from NG - or if NG is manufacturing them for AA. I've simply bought them from NG. I was just trying to give a heads up as to where you might want to buy from if the future. I'm 99% certain mine are velvet - the brush as well.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  25. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Is this true? I can't just vacuum the record and be done with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.