Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't imagine that's etched without it being very audible. Maybe a stamp of some kind on the promos?

2. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I've never seen that before!

3. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

I've seen something like that before. What I found is it's a kind of "transference" of graphics from the paper sleeve onto the very top layer of the grooves. I see this most often happen to lacquers, but also some shellac and very early vinyl pressings. Best I can figure, it's some sort of reaction to the paper and ink when a disc was stored flat on a pile in it's sleeve in a semi to outright humid environment. (I find that the discs that have this, the sleeve has to be almost "peeled" from the disc surface.

It looks like it may have been in this style sleeve:

1940s 10" inch V4 Capitol Records Record SLEEVE ONLY 78 RPM | eBay

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Quincy and bozburn like this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    @jtaylor posted this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Below, here's another checkered suit pic, but he looks a little younger, I think.
    s-l400-2.jpg
    That one looks more like '54/'55 Sinatra to me, like this era:
    think-differentb.jpg
    [​IMG]
    The last two are ones that I've thought may stem from NBC Radio City sessions for To Be Perfectly Frank, but I don't think that's been even close to being confirmed. (I'll add parenthetically that the bottom two photos are so noise-reduced that I wouldn't 100% rule out that the suit may be checkered, despite how the smearing caused by noise reduction makes it look.)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Richard--W and jupiter8 like this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

All three photos are from a shoot by Herman Leonard, captioned as from "NYC in 1956." Higher-res images are easily found on the web, as these were featured in photo exhibits during the Sinatra centennial. The suit is definitely checkered:

[​IMG]

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Richard--W and bozburn like this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Same session?

[​IMG]

Richard--W likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

With regard to the German photos of Frank in a checkered suit and holding a camera, the date is probably 1961. There was a discussion in the thread for: New Frank Sinatra box set: "World on a String" coming October 2016 ...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Capitol Melrose Studio C. There's even a paper cup on the desk area by the mixing board, under the patch bay on the wall.

jtaylor, Bob F and paulmock like this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

What was recorded in Studio C by Mr. S? That looks like a small studio from what I can tell. BTW, paper cup and all, he sure was in a jovial mood there. And how many times has he recorded with a mike "upside down" as it were...standing on the floor (post Columbia years)?

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Lots of stuff, Paul, including the small and medium sized group sessions for IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS. Some of those pictures above don't remind me of the usual look of the studio as typically seen in photos, but the ones I quoted are from that control room...

paulmock likes this.
  12. MLutthans

Wow -- the control room shots and the last one that Bob posted are definitely Studio C, but the other ones are ones that I would have never pegged as Studio C on their own without supporting photos. Weird pics.

Bob F and MMM like this.
  13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm wondering if those other "weird" pictures were taken in Studio D at Melrose, possibly staged?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  14. MLutthans

Longshot, but might there have been a radio session that same day, and the photographer was present at that? I doubt it, but some of those shots don't look very Capitol-y.

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I know. Hard to say, without knowing the real date, but maybe. That's why I'm wondering if the odd pictures might have been setup in "D", which seems to be mysterious itself as well. I'm a little foggy at the moment, but I do remember John Palladino telling me a bit about that room...there might be something in the archives here that I wrote about it years ago.

16. MLutthans

@MMM (or anybody else) -- do you know the dates for the actual recordings of To Be Perfectly Frank?

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, the ones I can quickly give you are the ones we used in A VOICE ON AIR:

"I've Got the World On a String" - 9/22/1953
    "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" - 11/20/1953
    "A Hundred Years From Today" - 11/17/1953
    "This Can't Be Love" - 11/20/1953
    "Them There Eyes" - 12/15/1953

Also, from THE FRANK SINATRA SHOW in the set:

"Tenderly" - 1/5/1955
    "Hello, Young Lovers" - 1/14/1955
    "It's Alright with Me" - 10/29/1954
    "Our Love Is Here To Stay" - 3/30/1955 (version 1) & 12/18/1953

18. MLutthans

Thanks; no Capitol + NBC double-dips on those dates.

MMM likes this.
  19. MLutthans

@Pieter Kozak has kindly shared some clips from his c. 1966 UK World Record Club mono release:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some of you may recall that this LP is a FOLD-DOWN to mono from the stereo mixes, but since some of the actual, official mono mixes of some of these songs are dreadfully bad, being a fold-down is not always a bad thing, and, in these first four tracks that I've got posted, I've actually got two of them listed as "Top mono choice."

I've started to go through the tracks and post clips on my website. This album has a revised running order, and I'm starting with the side one tracks that we have already covered, and have these four now posted:

All the Way, August 13, 1957, from Pieter's LP - Audio clip here. My take? Not great, but not too bad, especially considering that it is cut from the stereo tapes, which are fake stereo on this particular song, since the song was not recorded in stereo at all. Note, though, that it ("it" being the stereo LP source tape for this song) is not in Duophonic, which would not sum well to mono in a fold-down, but merely, as Capitol called it, "Enhanced monophonic sound." When collapsed to mono, it survives pretty well.

Song from Some Came Running ("To Love and Be Loved") LP version - October 16, 1958, from Pieter's LP - Audio clip here. This is a fold-down to mono from the stereo mix, and there are some slight balance differences (vis-a-vis the true mono mix) that result, but I think most of us, in routine listening, would be hard-pressed to find major differences, and would think this sounds just fine. I like it okay.

French Foreign Legion - December 29, 1958, from Pieter's LP - Audio clip here. I have ranked this as being the "top mono choice" for this song, despite the fact that it's a fold-down. Compare that clip from Pieter's LP with the former "top mono choice" (amongst very bad choices), 1982's Mr. Success LP from Australia (clip here). No contest, IMO.

High Hopes - May 8, 1959, from Pieter's LP - Audio clip here. Again, the actual, genuine mono mix of this song stinks. Here's a clip from the 2016 mono reissue LP, which uses the original mono mix, for comparison. I'm listing Pieter's LP as a "top mono choice" (tied), even though it is a fold-down.

More to follow as I have time to review the side two songs, but at least that's a start. Thanks again to Pieter for sharing audio for us to compare.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    George C., bozburn and Pieter Kozak like this.
  20. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

Awesome Matt. Looking forward to Side 2

MLutthans likes this.
  21. MLutthans

I thought crossed my mind today regarding 1966's FOREVER FRANK and 1973's LIKE NEVER BEFORE.

FOREVER FRANK only had 11 tracks, not the usual 12 for Sinatra compilations of the time. LIKE NEVER BEFORE was a mix of mono, fake stereo, and stereo, and was, for some songs, a first-time LP release, but there clearly was not a mindset of "we're going to make the mono songs all Duophonic for this album," but rather, it was mastered from whatever tapes were floating around, be they mono, fake stereo, or stereo.

The 1954 Nelson Riddle version of "Day In -Day Out" appears on LIKE NEVER BEFORE in fake stereo with reverb added, raising the question: Why was there an existing tape of this song in fake stereo with reverb added? That said, the mono tracks on the Duophonic release of FOREVER FRANK are in fake stereo with reverb added. Is it possible, I wonder, if "Day In - Day Out" was intended for, but pulled from, FOREVER FRANK? Another possibility may be "Memories of You," which also appears in fake stereo on LIKE NEVER BEFORE, despite that being the first-ever release on an LP where other tracks are in true mono.

Just a thought. Those fake stereo tapes had to have been created "in the past" for some reason, no?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    MMM likes this.
  22. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Does Forever Frank have actual "Duophonic" cuts (time delay between channels, comb filtered, and reverb added) or vanilla fake stereo? (Going by the catalog number the LP seems to be from the time when Capitol was starting to phase out using their patented Duophonic process on mono material.) And if the fake stereo cuts on Forever Frank don't use the "real" Duophonic (typing that made my brain hurt LOL) does the fake stereo processing match what's heard on "Day In..." on the Like Never Before compilation? That could be a huge clue right there.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

FWIW, the exact release date of Forever Frank was October 10, 1966.

empirelvr likes this.
  24. MLutthans

These may be contain new info on take numbers -- not sure.
    s-l1600-101.jpg s-l1600-102.jpg s-l1600-103.jpg

Bob F, MMM and jtaylor like this.
  25. MLutthans

Interesting that a 1959 stereo EP that had a very short production run apparently had two label variations, both using the original D1 metal parts for manufacturing:
    [​IMG] s-l1600-105.jpg