David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

No Echoes. (I assume the strikethroughs were on the planned list but not played)

Thursday 7th July 2016: Pompeii, Italy
    Anfiteatro di Pompei, 80045 Pompei NA

First Set:
    5 A.M.
    Rattle That Lock
    Faces of Stone
    What Do You Want From Me
    The Blue
    The Great Gig In the Sky
    A Boat Lies Waiting
    Wish You Were Here
    Money
    Us and Them
    In Any Tongue
    High Hopes

Second Set:
    One of These Days
    Astronomy Dominé
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Fat Old Sun
    Coming Back To Life
    On an Island
    The Girl In the Yellow Dress
    Today
    Sorrow
    Run Like Hell
    Time
    Breathe (Reprise)
    Comfortably Numb

Friday 8th July 2016: Pompeii, Italy
    Anfiteatro di Pompei, 80045 Pompei NA

First Set:
    5 A.M.
    Rattle That Lock
    Faces of Stone
    What Do You Want From Me
    The Blue
    The Great Gig In the Sky
    A Boat Lies Waiting
    Wish You Were Here
    Money
    Us and Them
    In Any Tongue
    High Hopes

Second Set:
    One of These Days
    Astronomy Dominé
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Fat Old Sun
    Coming Back To Life
    On an Island
    The Girl In the Yellow Dress
    Today
    Sorrow
    Run Like Hell
    Time
    Breathe (Reprise)
    Comfortably Numb

andrewskyDE and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Why wouldn't it be? This is a far cry from the original Pompeii film.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

This should be a lot more affordable than what the ticket prices were going for.

Davido likes this.
  4. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I have the DVD. A friend of mine got the BD. He said that there are some issues with defining the relatively dark images on stage at times (grainy/noisy) image and therefore not a must-buy-on-bluray. As for the content and exstras it is a top notch release. Very generous bonus disc.

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Echoes has been retired following Rick's death. It wasn't played at all during the tour and I read an interview with DG where he said he wouldn't play it without Rick.

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I'll change it to match the official title of this release when it's announced.

LarsO likes this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm in.

Jack likes this.
  8. That's what I thought....and good for him on that decision.

polchik, Higlander, sjaca and 2 others like this.
  9. Yes and no. The video was shot at 1080i to begin with, plus other issues with the cameras used. The smoke from the fog machines or whatever they use was excessive IMO and didn't help the situation much. The Audio however is outstanding.

LarsO likes this.
  10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

It's still a shame the set lists are so predictable. How great it would be to hear Gilmour perform material from his first two solo albums, or less obvious Floyd deep tracks ('A Pillow of Winds', 'Childhood's End', to name a few). I don't fancy hearing yet more versions of 'Run Like Hell'... all IMHO of course.

polchik, CBC, Max Florian and 2 others like this.
  11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I was disappointed that the recent Pink Floyd song Louder Than Words didn't get a live premier this tour. With that said, this looks to be an exciting DVD and I look forward to seeing it.

12. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I agree. However, Run Like Hell made a Gilmour-comeback on stage after 21 years so I don't mind that one. Quite a few of the others returned from the previous tour though (Coming Back To Life, Fat Old Sun, Shine On etc).

13. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Very well timed with Roger's major tour about to kick off and the overlap of material will do nothing but drum up interest in all things PF/solo. I only wish David had had a much interest in playing to as many cities as possible.

14. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

If only there would be a way to buy that without the Rattle That Lock -tunes...

eelkiller, kanakaris and bootbox like this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

[​IMG]

16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Have been eagerly waiting for this! Watched him twice at RAH last year (first and final nights) and they were both incredible shows. I also quite enjoyed Rattle That a Lock - so bring it on!!

I do hope we get some Wroclaw tracks as bonus, these were performed backed by full orchestra and pro filmed.

17. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

18. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Yes I went to the Pink Floyd's "Animals" show in May 1977 show in Tarrant County Convention Center in Ft/ Worth too! Floor seats in the middle, Big Pig flew overhead!

19. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Count me in for whatever the most fully featured Blu Ray release is. Saw Gilmour at the RAH last year on the night Benedict Cumberbatch guested for CN. An absolute pleasure to hear the man and his guitar in the flesh, with the already great RTL material sounding even better live - once you know the story behind Faces of Stone, Gilmour's guitar is even more expressive and emotional.

Having skipped it during its original release, I asked for Remember That Night on Blu for Christmas from Mrs Coffeetime and was floored. Thought Gdansk was pretty good (got the 2CD/1DVD) and now find myself wishing I'd got the 2DVD version for 5.1 OAI and extras.

If Gilmour/Pompei has an SDE type release a la the 5 disc Gdansk set, I'm in (barring a £500 price tag a la Roger's The Wall set).

Can't wait to hear the official news around this. Appreciate the heads up Ron.

rontoon likes this.
  20. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

I have these three, Remember being the only one on BD. As others have mentioned, at times the video isn't the best but I'd recommend Remember over the other two on the strength of the audio. Though having said that, I won't give up the other two ;)

Is the release for sure to be from the Pompeii shows? That sounds on the surface to be the right choice, but I'd be more interested in the best audio/video, whether that comes from Pompeii, RAH or one of the U.S. shows. Regardless, just take my money :agree:

RPOZ51 and coffeetime like this.
  21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

All of them are great! David sure does not skim on his video releases and the bonus featured are great!

I have been waiting for Meltdown and the complete Gdansk show to be released on Bluray - hopefully someday!

Billy Infinity and coffeetime like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

RTL tunes are the prime reason I'm after this set.

The hits are repeated on a half dozen other DG/PF live comps and DG was pulling all the 2015-2016 live clips from YouTube.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm much more after Delicate Sound on Blu ray from the original film element, bad hair and clothes included. The DG concert VHS from 1984 also needs a new release as he has no interest in playing that stuff ever again. It was really cool seeing DG doing "blue Light" on the early 80's Pete Townshend concert DVD that just got released.

24. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

[​IMG]

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Does Gilmour perform shirtless at this Pompeii gig?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.