Worst Chicago song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

That's their one post-Kath single I do like. I just wish they hadn't kept trying to remake it again and again for the next decade.

Drifter, videoman and Keith V like this.
  2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

The final minute of "Fancy Colours" might be the most excruciating 60 seconds of music ever recorded. (And..."Colours"? Come on, you're from Illinois.)

jwb1231970 and zebop like this.
  3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yea...that "whiny" voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. He destroyed whatever legacy the band may have had with all that MOR dreck.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It made sense on the eighth album, since most of the songs were tributes of some kind-- to Hendrix, the BEach Boys, Stevie Wonder, etc. So doing a Randy Newman kinda song fit in.

Suncola likes this.
  5. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I like that actually. Terry Kath could play.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Had Lamm and Pankow had as much as a single decent song or anything resembling a hit single between them after 1978, perhaps they could have done so.

I think they had their opportunity to do so right around the time of XIV---who would have stopped them?---but didn't have the goods.

In case the fans of the "classic period" (of which I'm a huge one) haven't noticed, those two dried up even before Terry Kath thought playing with a loaded gun while he was drunk was a good idea.

I have little use for the post-Kath era beyond a few songs myself. But I respect the boys for carrying on and having a very successful career in a very tough business as opposed to just ending the band and opening up car dealerships back home.

Comet01 likes this.
  7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

"Playing" is one word for what he's doing there, I suppose...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Hey, I don't personally dislike the song, my point is it was a stupid idea to release that song in Japan. Harry Truman dropped nuclear death on a bunch of women children and civilians. The military target had heavy clouds and they HAD to drop that sucker so they looked for anything to target. They really had no idea what it would really do. Just a bigger boom from what I've read. Truman said he would do it again up until he died. Japanese people consider him an evil devil.
    That song was never gonna go over in Japan

Raoul97202 and videoman like this.
  9. I kind of doubt that was just their call.

10. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Add the late 70s beginning with X through XIV, with Hot Streets, XIII and XIV having large parts of unlistenable songs.

11. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

You believe everything you hear?

12. Wrong thread. This is worst Chicago song, not worst song. :D

NiceMrMustard and AudiophilePhil like this.
  13. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Colour My World is a classic Chicago love song.
    It's similar, in form, to The Beatles' Michelle, Yesterday, The Rolling Stones' Ruby Tuesday, The Righteous Bros.' You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling and Unchained Melody.

It's far from any kind of "drek." You get the bad stuff starting in the late 70s.

14. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

The worst Chicago song...that's an pretty subjective thing. For me, it has to be the remix of "25 or 6 to 4" or "Free Form Guitar." Honorable mention goes to "Aloha Mama" and "You Come to My Senses."

15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Did you hear the 2nd?

16. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Don't feed the trolls.

dalem5467 likes this.
  17. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Window Dreamin' from XIII was really bad.

Nostaljack likes this.
  18. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Geez, where do you begin???

There's so many to choose from!

:righton:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Paradise Alley from XIII was also a clunker. That LP had many disappointments.

20. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Not really.
    But you gotta figure that any good group with longevity, or TV show, or author, will produce some disappointments.

Look at these TV shows:
    MASH
    The Twilight Zone

TZ had a number of clunkers or "average" episodes.
    MASH, in the later seasons (after Radar left) had many stiffs, trite and predictable scripts.

dalem5467 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, I had it. Liked it but not nearly as much as the first album and not enough to want to buy any more.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

A Seraphine turkey from this era. (On the plus side, he had the excellent "Show Me the Way" ion the same album).

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

oh come on, he sang on most of their great songs. Questions 67 and 68, Wishing You Were Here, Searching So Long.

24. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Agreed.
    Leading up to Terry's death, Lamm and Pankow were in decline. They had 'shot their load' as hit songwriters.
    Both were battling their own demons.

Later, after getting their personal lives under control, their muses had left the building (for the most part).

Few things are less understood than the ability to create art. For many artists, a brief period of extreme creativity is followed by decades of mediocrity.

Instant Dharma and videoman like this.
  25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Is it a classic because it's old and it charted? The lyrics to all of the songs you cited make far more sense than those of "Colour My World". The lyrics on all those tunes (yes, even the Beatles tunes) are leagues better than Jimmy Pankow's nonsense in that tune. We agree that things would get worse but never worse lyrically than "Colour My World".

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.