The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

I'm unable to find any reference to whether or not an iPod will work in the front-panel USB jack. Anyone?

2. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Havent looked into this at all, but unless its 4k uhd capable (not upscaling) or 3d blu ray, Im out

3. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Does it decode HDCD?

patient_ot likes this.
  4. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Just snagged a new one for $160 in "damaged package" from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

scobb and whaiyun like this.
  5. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

(From the Sony website) ALAC: Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA). I read this to be that ALAC is readable by way of disc, USB and DLNA so take that for what it is worth. That said, I whould have mine by early next week if not the end of this week and I will check it out...Randy

6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

7. randy9700

I would be surprised (pleasantly) if it did decode HDCD. It was never mainstream and even less so now. At this price point it would be a huge bonus....

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Microsoft killed HDCD, so don't look for any hardware support going forward...

9. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Thanks!

10. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Dumb question maybe. Will the video HDMI out work with a HDMI-input flat screen computer monitor instead of a television?

11. randy9700

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't...

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This looks like a great machine for that price. However, I learned via another thread that this machine adds silence between tracks when playing files from hard drives via the USB input. My Yamaha BluRay player does the same thing. Are there any machines in this price range that does not insert silence??

13. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I would not touch Oppo with a barge pole same goes for Cambridge Audio

14. John1026

John1026 Member

Has anyone tested the analog outputs of this unit to hear how good the D/A converter is?

vconsumer likes this.
  15. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

16. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I grabbed one from Crutchfield as well. This lets me move my BDP-95 to the office, where I'll actually take advantage of its analog outs (it's HDMI only in the living room, which is a waste).

17. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I missed the model you referenced. I humbly apologize. Let me ask a Gort to wipe that comment.

18. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

So, quick edit. If you're not using this with any video out, is there any way to tell which layer of an SACD you're playing? Does it default to the SACD layer on playback? I'm thinking of primarily using it in an audio only set-up. In that situation, does Sony's DSEE HX automatically upscale CD audio? Should I really care?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  19. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I would buy one gladly , but information from forum members that it doesn't deal well with multichannel files from external hard drives stopped me.

20. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

My cheap Sony bdp bx58 from 2011 has a setting to determine which layer to play by default. I'd be shocked if this model doesn't have the same. I'll find out tomorrow and update this thread (I couldn't pass up the $199 price).

RocketUSA likes this.
  21. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

It definitely has the option in the settings to define the default sacd version to read: stereo or multichannel (at least it's in the user manual).
    Before i purchase this i still have a question i really need to be sure, so i will ask someone who actually owns this player to answer if possible.

1) Can the UHP H1 output sound from the stereo sacd layer through the spdif output in PCM or not ? (i have read that the spdif outputs are disabled when reading sacd).
    2) What is the highest bit depth / frequency that i can get through a spdif connection (if answer to question 1 is yes) ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Benoit

22. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

In the audio setttings, you choose the default layer of a dual-layer SACD to automatically play: DSD or redbook. You preselect the output format: DSD or PCM. You preselect the maximum resolution of the internal DAC. Obviously, you would set it for 24/196.
    I don't have a DSD DAC, but I can tell you this much: when you play a SACD, it outputs 24/176.4 through the HDMI output. It does play simultaneously through the S/PDIF outputs (coax & optical), but it plays the REDBOOK layer. The bit depth/sample rate maxes out at 24/48 through the S/PDIF outputs, regardless of the source disk. Sony tech support confirmed this when I called them. However, you get the higher resolution through the analog outputs.
    I don't have any single-layer SACD's, so I don't know if or how it would play them through the S/PDIF outputs.
    I hope this explaination is clear.

Galley, dbsea and randy9700 like this.
  23. randy9700

Thanks!

24. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I think the 24/176.4 has become the standard for DSD to PCM. From the JRiver Wiki, they translate DSD to 64/352.8. Eventually it will need to be converted to 24 bit and cut down to a sample rate that most DACs can use, 192k or less. 176.4 is 352.8/2, a simpler conversion. Defaulting to 24/176.4 seems like the best options when converting.

25. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Ok so that confirms it: it's impossible to output the sacd layer through spdif output, only the redbook layer.

I picked it up today and tried the following: hooked up the hdmi output to the TV and the optical out from the TV to my amp: No sound when playing a sacd, but got sound when playing a normal cd.
    Then i tried to use the RCA out from my tv to my amp: got sound both when reading sacd and normal CD.

Conclusion: the sacd layer is quite locked and cannot be passed through spdif connection, only RCA.
    (for information i have setup the output to PCM)

My next test will be to use a HDMI de-embedder and try to get the sound from sacd layer via HDMI to it and then through spdif to my amp, but i don't think that this will work... I guess the only way to get sacd playback is through the RCA connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.