The end of the CRT era...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agaraffa, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I am a calibrator. I'm talking about accurate reference monitors showing either 601 or 709 gamut using a CMS. 709 red saturation is the biggest difference. Green unchanged. Blue not visibly different. It's not a big difference on the reds, but it's there.

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Hmm, yes except for my mobile phone where CRT is pretty much out of the question. I find/found the LCD monitors at work excruciating. Even the occasional Mac screen was tiring to look at. I can look at or work on my Samsung Syncmaster monitor for 12 hours without the slightest eyestrain.

I also have one of the last models of Samsung CRT TVs which I inherited several years ago. Very pleasant to watch DVDs on with deep warm colors. Yes, resolution is not up to the very latest non CRT monitors but since I don't need to do video production it doesn't matter. I have no idea what I am going to when this old Syncmaster fizzles out. I got a scare last week when video drivers were updated. The color went bonkers until I rebooted and adjusted it a couple of times. Now it is back to normal thankfully. Are CRTs the new SET?

Grand_Ennui and PH416156 like this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I got rid of my last one when I moved back to San Francisco - and into a studio apartment - in 2009. It was a huge 34" Panasonic Tau HD 4x3 set. Beautiful picture, weighed like 200lbs, and was the size of a small car. I'm sure it looked as good as all but the most expensive LCD or plasma sets of the time, but I'd imagine most cheap LCD sets blow it away by now (and have bigger screens, take up considerably less space, consume less power, and don't weigh a ton...).

I gave it to a school and hope they got good use out of it. It's probably still working...

longdist01 likes this.
  4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That's a good question. I don't think so (yet). But there was something about this Quasar tv we had that blew away the Sony Trinitron's and others back in the 80's.

5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

As much as I have an appreciation (and nostalgia) for old technology, getting rid of CRT is something I never lost any sleep over.

6. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

We've just moved house and are waiting for a tiler to come in and complete the flooring. As such, I've connected the old Grundig (mentioned earlier in this thread) and even though it hasn't been used in over 8 years it's STILL working like a charm! My wife and I watched the first four Rocky Movies (DVD) on it over the weekend :D

I've plugged in an old STB and I've been using it of a morning to watch the news while getting ready for work.

Can't kill those old CRT's!
    [​IMG]

7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Here is what I do not understand. Whey don't the television manufacturers figure out what the perfect calibration is for the TVs they engineer, and make that the factory default.

Why should they have to be calibrated?

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

still have Mine ,I can't see spending 5,000 for a OLED

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There is a happy medium between "crappy CRT" and "$5,000 TV" you know. :)

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  10. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Since my last post in this thread last year, I've ditched my CRTs.
    I won a big Target gift card, so I decided to get out of the 20th century.
    I'm so glad I did. I can't see going back to a CRT and SD television viewing.
    Just the little things, like being able to hook my laptop up to the TV spoils me.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I miss the old wood-surrounded CRT console TVs from the 1970's and 1980's.

[​IMG]

12. Mr Bass

I agree that CRT TVs don't (yet) have the cachet of tube amps but the comments are almost identical about them.

"Tube amps have poor resolution, they are big and heavy. SS amps have so much resolution, they are lighter cooler."

"CRT TVs have poor resolution, they are big and heavy. LED TVs have so much resolution, they are lighter, cooler."

13. Mr Bass

To each his own but I think you are ignoring that some of us are bothered by aspects of the picture in the current crop of computer monitors and LED TVs. I'm guessing the poster specified the $5k OLED TV because that was the one that he could see living with and the others don't satisfy.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You do? Even when I was kid, I thought those things looked atrocious!

Rufus McDufus and sunspot42 like this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Firstly, every single screen's perfect calibration is different. For instance, one might require more red and another one of the same model would require less. To do so would require examining every single monitor on an individual basis and hiring professional calibrators to do the work. In the end, users would be passed on the additional cost of this step which would cause that manufacturer to lose their pricing advantage over a competitor.

Secondly, same as for audio, not everybody wants perfect accuracy/neutrality in the picture. What most people are attracted to is a overly contrasted pictured with popping vibrant colors. Accuracy is something very few people are aware of nor care about.

16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Got rid of our last CRT at least ten years ago, a Sony 32" "table-top" monster that had been stored for a few years before that. It weighed over 230 lbs, and when we tried to "muscle" it onto my truck to take to the MRF, the plastic case literally disintegrated in our hands.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I am definitely not feeling the nostalgia.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah. :)

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I dunno, but I've had to have almost every CRT I owned recalibrated. Guarantee services hated my guts. I supervised the tech while he performed the service at home till I was satisfied with the pic.

20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

OMG !! yeah; every house I walk into has their TV sets HORRIBLY calibrated, usually default settings. They just can't be @rsed to tweak it. And I concur with the poster that stated red is the most difficult for accuracy.

21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My last wood-encased TV was the 1st 35" model from Mitsubishi. My next 35" was a plastic encased Sony, and they've been plastic ever since. I've never understood the beef about CRT size and weight being an issue. To me, it's like complaining about the size and weight of your bed or a dining room table or living room sofa. CRT's were just another piece of furniture to me.

The Pinhead and Mr Bass like this.
  22. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'm still using (and enjoying) my 65" Mitsubishi WS-65815 CRT RPTV. It has the 9" guns and the picture is still great. Yeah, the cabinet is huge, and my wife hates it.

Dude111 likes this.
  23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Really? I'll trade you for my 4K TV :shh:

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I switched to DLP back in twenty ought five, have had nothing but LED since 2009, and I'm loving every minute of it, baby!!!!

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That is very true. Some (though very few) models do come with factory calibration which goes a long way to producing a 'natural' looking picture without the user/calibrator having to futz with the settings. But, as you say, every set (within the same model) is slightly different, so the default calibration will not be perfect, but it will be miles better than the average uncalibrated, clown colored, presets that most people get out of the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.