Love-New 2016 Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member Thread Starter

I just finished the first season of this new series, simply called Love. It's a romantic comedy set in Hollywood, CA about the relationship between a pair of early 30-somethings Mickey (Gillian Jacobs) and Gus (Paul Rust) and the people they surround themselves with. It was created by Judd Apatow so I had fairly high expectations, but I have to say I have pretty mixed feelings. Some of the show is quite funny, but there were long stretches that I didn't find all that great either. For one thing, I don't find either of the lead characters all that likeable and most of the people they associate with are frequently annoying, immature and/or not too bright; sort of stereotypical shallow Hollywood types, if you will. But there were enough moments to keep me hanging in there and I'll probably tune in for the inevitable second season next year.

Has anyone else seen this show yet?

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Love, is a hard show to love (ahem!). It's unconventional in that it subverts the standard rom-com narrative cliches, but the central character is prickly, unlikable at times and full of issues. It's hard not to warm to Gillian Jacobs, but she plays her unsympathetic role well, and well, you do still kind of root for her by the end. It also has some very funny moments, like the restaurant scene and the magic castle scenes.

So basically, it's tough love.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I just watched the first episode this evening and liked it well enough. It does tread on some familiar territory, but I'm more than willing to watch some more to see how it develops. Interestingly I was reminded of how I felt when I first watched the Apatow produced "Girls", a show I really didn't take to at first. That "Girls" developed so nicely over it's run, and is now having one of it's consistently strongest seasons yet encourages me to give the new kids on the block a fair shake. Tonally "Love" feels a lot like some other recent contemporary half hour comedies I've really enjoyed: "Casual", "Married", and You're the Worst".

4. DigMyGroove

Four episodes in and I'm really liking it now, looking forward to the rest.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And now you can look forward to another twelve episodes - season two has been released. I really enjoyed season two. The way that it ended, it feels like they're setting up for another season (though it's not a cliffhanger type ending at all - things do wrap up satisfactorily).

6. DigMyGroove

I've watched the first couple of Season 2 episodes and am enjoying things thus far.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Things kind of coast along, but get more 'juicy' at the back end of the series.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  8. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Currently watching the 2nd season and something about the show kind of bugs me. It's as though I watch it wishing it would just be better. There is a weird chemstry between the two main characters that just doesn't work for me. I'll keep watching though. There are moments here and there that sparkle but it just doesn't break through to the upper echelon of really great shows.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, that's right. And that apparent mismatch is addressed in the latter episodes - stick with it.

10. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first season, and am working my way through the second - I've seen episodes 1 to 3. I like the characters and their interactions and there are times when they don't do the obvious which makes it more entertaining.

11. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Watched the first season and thought it was really good. About halfway through the second. I like the contrast of a beautiful, damaged woman hooked up with a nerdy nice guy. And besides that, Bertie is adorable.

beercanchicken likes this.
  12. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Bertie is awesome. Everything else is so...BLEAK

13. tman53

Yeah, I get that but I find it to be quite realistic.

14. beercanchicken

totally. example: I'm way more attracted to Mickey when she's a complete bitch; her season 2 general niceness made me less attracted. Just like real life would be for me!

15. tman53

Probably a bit of over analysis on my part. But, I see Mickey in season two as trying to meet Gus' expectations. She wants to be a nice person but it's just not her.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's a fair observation (though she also wants to change her ways for herself), but Gus isn't make it easy on her with his high expectations and subtle psychological pressure which builds up over time until it spills out towards the end of the season.

Also, more Bertie next time!

17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Only though the first half of season 2, and I hope it gets better. But yeah-more Bertie!

18. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Finished season 2, thought it was well done -- interesting to see where this goes with a season 3, and to echo the above "more Bertie". Season 1 as I recall had a bit more humor, where this season focused more on developing the characters, motivations, and a bit of a back story on Mickey. I do find that secondary cast pretty strong with Love, lots of interesting characters who I'd like to see a bit more.

I put Love, Flaked and Master of None all in the same grouping -- well done, some episodes really hit all the marks, occasionally one will feel a bit like padding to fill out the season.

19. beercanchicken

I recently finished Flaked. Definitely the weakest of the 3 but still enjoyable. It easily had the most "filler" of them all. I like Will Arnett and thought he'd have been able to pull together a better writing team (maybe not Apatow levels but definitely at Aziz level); he must wanted to do it all by himself. A lot of series come into their own around season 3 (bigger budget, better writers, etc) so will be interesting to see where they all go.

20. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Have to watched Flaked season 2 over the summer -- I enjoyed season 1, and I agree it's #3 in that grouping. Flaked season 1, or at least my impression of it, was the Arnett character generally fumbling around at doing nothing and avoiding the community around him as much as possible -- which was fine and entertaining. Then in the last few episodes, was sort of a sudden revelation that they needed to pick up the storyline pace a bit to get to a season 2 and it came to a rushed revelation.

The soundtracks for Love and Flaked are great -- especially Flaked, came across a lot of new bands.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Is there going to be a 3rd season?

22. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I've yet to begin Season 2. And I did like watching Season 1 too, mainly because I like Gillian Jacobs that drew me in. Liked Community.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone else binge watching Season 3 this weekend?

I am about halfway through the season and really enjoying it. It's at least as good as the other two. Very funny stuff.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I am. Smart, funny, well written. And I could look at Gillian Jacobs all day long.

Deesky likes this.
  25. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Not binge watching it, but started. Great so far. Weird coincidence that I watched the 'No Scrubs' video very recently!

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.