"I thought rock music was dead. Then I heard Big Wreck."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob9874, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The title from a fitting tribute to the band in my avatar, linked below. Thought I would share this article here, as this forum seems like the type that would appreciate a write-up about a relatively unknown band being described with band names such as Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, & Rush. Their latest two albums, Ghosts and last month's Grace Street are masterpieces, in my opinion. And Grace Street is out on vinyl, their only vinyl release so far.

I thought rock music was dead. Then I heard Big Wreck.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Whiney power pop.

nosliw, Brudy, Andrew J and 4 others like this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Relatively unknown? They seem to be pretty well known, major label, big commercial success, bunch of threads and mentions around here. But nothing wrong with giving a call out to a favorite band, I do it all the time too, though most of mine are a little more unknown :)

4. Rob9874

What's why I said relatively unknown. Around these circles, maybe people have heard of them. But my average friends, family, and co-workers have never heard of them. I think they have more success in Canada, where they tour and get airplay.

Noonie, mikedifr0923, marty34 and 2 others like this.
  5. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Here in Canada, i haven't heard anything about them since the late 90's. I remember they blended in with the our lady peace, i mother earth type middle of the road rock bands that were dressing up as grunge then.

nosliw, Dave and dennis the menace like this.
  6. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Check out Rival Sons

7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Love me some Big Wreck, even if Ian sounds a little too much like Chris Cornell.

8. Rob9874

Nah, maybe to the casual listener who heard them in passing. They started at Berkely School of Music and wrote music that surpasses anything being put out by pseudo-grunge bands at the time. Intricate layers of guitar work, and mixing it up with different time signatures, and complex harmonies. Too good to pass off as merely grunge or power pop.

9. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

My band opened for them in upstate NY back in 1997. Great guys, but musically didn't think they were anything special. Always thought they were one of those "one or two major label albums then vanish into obscurity" bands. Kinda cool they've been able to make a career out of it this long without much mainstream recognition (at least here in the US)

10. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't heard of these guys, but the half-dozen or so tunes I just checked out on YouTube make me want to hear more. Nice to hear current rock that doesn't succumb to retro posturing or indie navel-gazing twee, and they seem to bring a good supply of hooks to the table (unlike some other semi-contemporary bands...I'm looking at you, Porcupine Tree). Damn, that dude REALLY sounds like Chris Cornell, tho.

Rob9874 likes this.
  11. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Funny how we thought these guys would just explode back in the late 90's.
    Maybe we were spoiled and under appreciative a bit...they played a lot of Canadian dates back then.Great to see them still making music and garnering new fans. Enjoy
    Cheers

12. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Blown Wide Open still gives me shivers....

They lost me with Albatross.... haven't heard the last 2 albums - even though I still hear them on the radio here in Vancouver often (classics from the 90's)...

Noonie and DHamilton like this.
  13. I like Big Wreck. Good music. He should watch where he's goi g though otherwise his insurance will go up.

14. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

This was killer....20 years ago! Always thought they would have broken bigger here in the US.

Dan

15. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I saw them at a tiny pub near my house back when The Oaf was getting some airplay. They were great....tore the roof off of the place.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

They're hardly an unknown band.... "Blown Wide Open", "That Song", and "The Oaf (My Luck is Wasted)" were all massive, inescapable hits back in '97.... (up here in Canada, at least).

Hammerpeg and Drifter like this.
  17. Rob9874

Same here. I was a fan since hearing The Oaf in 1997, and I too didn't like Albatross. It sounded like it was written and recorded in 2 weeks, which they later confirmed it was! But I really felt Ghosts was their masterpiece. It is such a quality album from beginning to end. I get that some people don't get Big Wreck, but if you were a fan of their old stuff, you must listen to the last 2. I give Ghosts an A+ and Grace Street an A. It's so refreshing that someone is still putting out quality rock these days. I can't get into the new flavors or "rock" like Imagine Dragons, Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend, etc.

Yep, they're huge in Canada. Still are. When Grace Street was released, it was the #1 Rock album on iTunes in Canada. #33 here in the US. I wish they'd tour in the States more. They've been playing NY and Detroit, but I'm down in AZ. I saw Ian when his band Thornley came to Phoenix back in 2004. I got to hold his guitar while he signed my Big Wreck CD. I'm a member of a Big Wreck group on Facebook and get jealous of all the Canadian members posting pictures and videos of their shows right now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    GMcGilli likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nah, check out White Denim and Blackberry Smoke.

Lownote30 likes this.
  19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Back when, "The Oaf (My Luck is Wasted)" was in heavy rotation on MuchMusic.
    It's got a great intro.
    I love that song.

20. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Always badged alongside Collective Soul and Nickelback.

Andrew J likes this.
  21. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Purple Jim likes this.
  22. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Thanks Jay, I just checked them out. Good stuff!
    Rock ain't dead at all.

jay.dee likes this.
  24. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

I just picked up "Grace Street" last night and listened to the first couple of songs - will finish up tonight. Amazing band. I first heard of them when a friend of mine came into town who worked at a radio station in Columbus, Ohio. He brought with him some promos - one of them was BW's first CD. I was going through a divorce at the time and really needed to shift my focus from that. If you could wear out a CD, I would have done it. I listened to this CD over and over and over countless times. The next CD had some ups and downs but not mixed/produced well (neither was the first one either...). Then after Ian's hiatus, they came back with some new material and I like those. I have been putting them in rotation more here lately. I just wish they would tour nearby. They hit Pittsburgh, passed over me and on to Detroit. Please come to NE Ohio guys!!!!

Rob9874 likes this.
  25. Rob9874

You're from the land of Red Sun Rising. What do you think of them? If you like Grace Street, check out Ghosts too. Phenomenal back-to-back albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.