Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Okay, who in this thread had "Get Out" pegged for a $100 million+ domestic box office? With a production budget of $4.5 million, even Hollywood accountants have had to admit that it has almost broken even. :laugh:

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Credits are long, so it's an investment of your time to stay. As Vidiot can testify, it takes a village to make a movie like this

Vidiot likes this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Hiddleston strikes me as a more cerebral type, and somewhat slight physically. He's certainly more enjoyable (and probably had more fun) as Loki or The Night Manager, but frankly 'Kong' didn't give him a lot to do. Should he be the next 007 I hope they consider writing him as a more analytical, watchful and strategically inclined version, someone who's a few steps ahead of the audience.

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I don't know how much they can extrapolate from the first weekend (which they missed by 25%, ooops) But it seeeeeems to me anyone who wanted to see Kong Skull Island was pretty much there over the weekend.

Box Office: 'Kong' Roars But Will It Be Loud Enough?

Despite my slight disappointment, I hope they can get this franchise off the ground. Maybe they need to get someone like Dennis Villeneuve or Inarritu on board - they seem to handle special effects in a way that better integrates them into the story, and have a visionary sensibility. Faux Apocalypse was, upon reflection, not a good way to go. Nor was Godzilla hiding in clouds of dust. Now that Legendary has paid for Gareth Edwards and Vogt-Roberts film school they can hand this over to someone with a mad sense of purpose. Imagine a Scorcese Godzilla movie!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, this is the meaningful sentence:

Prerelease tracking suggested the pic would open to $45 million to $50 million in North America, which would hardly be a roaring start for a big-budget tentpole that cost at least $185 million to make and at least $135 million to market. But that's just the first test. It remains in question as to whether the world's most famous giant ape can tame enough moviegoers around the world for Kong to be OK financially, a feat that will require as much as $500 million in global ticket sales.

This is why if a film that cost $185 million "only" makes $450 million, that means it only roughly broke even. To make money, it'll have to actually make $500M. And that's because WB put $320 million into it.

Thwacko likes this.
  6. I saw 'KONG' in 3D on the weekend & was blown away by it. It was everything a creature-feature popcorn-movie is supposed to be. Exciting, scary, thrilling, intelligent & with a heart to boot. Y'know, sort of like the original 'KING KONG'... The negative opinions I'm seeing vary from 'college-dropout' comparison & contrast to 'college graduate' comparison & contrast. How refreshingly predictable that is! I hope the movie succeeds beyond every expectation just to shut people up. My 2 cents...

[​IMG]

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wish it was as intense as that poster

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

After the last Star Wars movie. I'm not watching anymore.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

10. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think they need to get some media consultants to explain to them why "The Matrix" really isn't a "thing" nearly as much these days as it was ten or fifteen years ago. I'm not even talking about how much people make fun of the second and third films in the series. The whole thing, and specifically the well-received and respect first film, seem to be kind of derided or at least kind of offered more in the realm of backhanded compliments these days.

A new Matrix film, even a full "reboot", sounds about as "asked for" by consumers as the "Alice in Wonderland" sequel or that fifth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie that's coming out.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Get Out" is a huge box office surprise. It came with virtually no hype and seems to be a true grass roots success.

I've not seen it yet - soon! :)

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Also really stellar reviews. I think it's great when a small film winds up making huge money and gets through-the-roof positive reviews.

13. Oatsdad

I'm normally leery of how much difference reviews make, but I think they did do a lot to push "Get Out" toward box office success.

It's gotten such uniform praise that it's drawn a lot of people who otherwise would skip it to theaters...

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Agreed, for small budget movies like this positive reviews and word of mouth via social media becomes their marketing budget and it's free, they don't have the luxury of $100 million in advertising or product tie ins to help finance the film.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

17. Oatsdad

Wow - I didn't see that coming! Not that I thought "BatB" would bomb, but I didn't expect anything like that.

I thought it seemed more likely to follow the 2015 "Cinderella" template: good gross but nothing mind-blowing. ("Cinderella" finished with $201 million in the US.)

Maybe it's such a hit because some of the people who saw the original 26 years ago now have kids of their own so it gets both audiences?

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Count me in the "really?" and "wtf" regarding the massive amount of money the "Beauty and the beast" live remake made over a couple days.

"Logan" is impressive too, so far is the 3rd highest grossing X-men film. Wow.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

$524 million worldwide so far and it's a R rated movie - I'm looking forward to seeing this eventually.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Next up will be live action remakes of Aladdin and The Lion King. :hurl:

Pete Puma likes this.
  22. Glad my kids are grown up and I won't have to take them to these movies.

23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The box office on "Beauty and the Beast" isn't surprising in relation to the projections of recent weeks and even months.

Many were saying it had a good shot at beating "Batman v. Superman's" $166 opening, and it looks like it probably did that (the current $170 figure is the "estimate"; the "final" can often go a few million in either direction).

I saw a few commentators that thought it might break $200 million opening weekend. That appears unlikely.

I think Disney not only remaking these old animated films, but not being shy about their plan to essentially heavily reduce the literal amount of *original* material they plan to release and just heavily mine their old stuff, is HIGHLY disappointing and artistically vapid. That being said, I think it's painfully obvious why the new film is so popular. It mines like a dozen different popular tropes and trends of the moment.

I don’t think most of the other live action remakes will do quite *this* well, and eventually sooner or later one of them will tank to some degree (I’m not sure a bunch of people were clamoring for a live action “Mulan” for instance; though that could just as easily *outperform* the original sadly).

I've never been a fan of the amount of power and prevalence Disney has in the movie industry, especially owning Marvel and Lucasfilm. I don't expect them to sign up Terence Malick for their next film or anything, but the soulless nature of so much of their product is actually getting much, much worse lately.

What is odd is that they *could* and *can* succeed doing more original stuff. They're mining their old stuff like a washed-up rock star who can't write a hit anymore so starts doing albums of cover versions and re-recording their own hits. Disney *doesn't* have that problem, yet they're choosing to go that route 100% because of the money. They're now openly admitting they're not even interested in the art form anymore. Bummer.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

Just why do they have to go and do that though?

25. MikaelaArsenault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.