"What is a Compact Disc?" - booklet inside early DG CD release*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MC Rag, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

A CD is soon to be forgotten relic

MrRom92 and Ephi82 like this.
  2. Phasecorrect

If it hasn't been already

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

You are absolutely right. I had a CD or two that wouldn't play for the same reason, but I knew there was nobody to blame but myself.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Used to have a CD with a 1" crack from the spindle hole. Amazingly, some, not all, of my players played it without a problem!

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

When I hold a CD up to light and see "stars", I know it ain't gonna go well . . .

tin ears likes this.
  6. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

I have a cd (Beethovens Fidello) with 2 mono tracks. Play the left side and then the right side. Presto 2 and 1/2 hours!

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Y'know, that's something I read a lot about back in the day, holding CD's up to a light and seeing 'pinpoint' holes in the disc. Back than I must have looked at a boatload of discs searching for these pinpoints but I never saw one. Not saying it isn't real, as many have reported seeing this, just not me.

Robert C likes this.
  8. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I've actually asked here about these types of discs before, I was interested in finding one but I couldn't really get any details that could help me find or identify any particular releases! Just that they were put out by some European labels. Would you be able to share the details of yours? Would love to find one of these, for fun

9. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Just buy more CD's to see if can happen sometimes, even if not very often. (astute pretence :) )

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

After 3+ decades, I'm thousands of CD's in. I stopped looking a LONG time ago:)

dalem5467 likes this.
  11. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

In the 90s I damaged a multitude of CDs by taking them wherever I was going, parties, car, Discman, travels... But today ? They're barely leaving their cases.

12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

You believe it's not indestructible(?), watch the honey test. CD one - LP nil, game over!!

13. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Thanks so much for using this CD thread to profess your love of vinyls.

14. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I remember seeing a news report on the CD not soon after they began to get big around 85/86, it showed a guy taking several to the beach with him and using one as a frisbee for his dog. "You can't damage them! They're amazing." he said, of course they didn't show him trying to play it afterward.

15. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Somewhere along the line I read that the length of a CD was determined by the approximate length of Beethoven's 9th symphony so that the entire piece would fit onto one disc. It wasn't internet hearsay or anything, it was in an actual text that I had in a communications course back in college. But I'm not claiming this as a fact or anything, just something I read once upon a time.

16. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I have heard of that. How do you do the over burn? Does one need certain software, hardware, or both?

17. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

You have to make a cue sheet and use a program that will burn a cd from your cue sheet. The program should allow you to overburn

SOONERFAN likes this.
  18. Phasecorrect

That is rather presumptuous and a bit tired, just like the CD format...LOL

19. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

It doesn't say that.

20. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Bronski Beat - Age of Consent 1984: 61 min due to bonus tracks, which are some 12'' versions

MC Rag likes this.
  21. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

on this day in history,

July 7, 1989
    --CDs started outselling vinyl records for the first time. The dominance of CDs virtually wiped out the 45 RPM single format, as nothing ended up replacing them. The 3 1/2 inch CD single would die out after record companies refused to offer them at a reasonable price.

22. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Paid downloads ended up replacing the 45 many years later.

23. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Before CD sales exceeded that of LPs, LP sales had been surpassed by pre-recorded cassettes. LPs were already on their way out as the most important medium for delivering recorded music before CDs arrived. Convenience and usefulness in portable devices certainly favored both the cassette and CD. I bet sound quality ranks pretty low on the reasons why one medium is favored over another.

shaboo likes this.
  24. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Well that Beethoven's 5th illustrated further up the thread sure isn't much over 35 minute whatever the merits of it as a recording might be so I'd agree with you.

delmonaco likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Often, that boils down to polishing down the scratches and finding a better DVD-ROM drive that can read and re-read the tracks to get the data off. It can be done, but I've had cases where I've had to go through 3-4 drives in order to find one up to the task.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.