Albums that became heralded as masterpieces years after release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Skip Spence - Oar
    Shuggie Otis solo
    Big Star
    Nick Drake
    Gram Parsons solo
    Gene Clark - No Other

2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

This one for sure.

edenofflowers likes this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Certainly VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO, PET SOUNDS, SWEETHEART OF THE RODEO . . .

But as someone pointed out upthread, there wasn't a real critical community until 1970 or so. So maybe those just didn't sell like the influential masterpieces they were later acclaimed as.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    TGH7, DJ LX, Jeffczar and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Maybe only in the U.S: Jenner commented that: "In terms of the U.K. and Europe it was always fine. America was always difficult. Capitol couldn't see it. You know, 'What is this latest bit of rubbish from England? Oh Christ, it'll give us more grief, so we'll put it out on Tower Records', which was a subsidiary of Capitol Records [...] It was a very cheapskate operation and it was the beginning of endless problems The Floyd had with Capitol. It started off bad and went on being bad."

Somerset Scholar and Lightworker like this.
  5. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

The hipsters luv it...

You must have missed out on the last issue of HQ (hipster quarterly)

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Honestly? I'd much rather listen to the Red and Green albums than Pinkerton.

Thievius and Fullbug like this.
  7. irong

irong Forum Resident

Love - Forever Changes

Tom34772, Davmoco, tedhead and 22 others like this.
  8. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed seemed to have new life in the early 70s when radio discovered Nights in white satin. The merging of rock into classical elements was welcomed by the prog rock movement

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea took years to take hold but is now considered a "modern" masterpiece. Where is rjp to dispute this?

10. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I suspect the intent was, 'Album one of A Nice Pair'.

11. Tons of "60's Garage", like "The Litter", not really fair tho; as most were regional releases. Same for "60's Psych".

"S/T - The Ramones"
    "Never Mind The... - Sex Pistols"
    "S/T - The Stoned Roses"
    "Pablo Honey - Radiohead"

Saint Johnny and Trevor_Bartram like this.
  12. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

It took years for a sizable audience to regard Jeff Buckley's "Grace" as a masterpiece, although the critics were on to to it from the get go.

13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

I do remember Johnny Ramone saying he didn't know or hear anything about the Ramones being big influences on a large number of bands until the 1990s.

starduster likes this.
  14. francocozzolives

francocozzolives Well-Known Member

Astral Disaster by Coil.
    The Sea Priestess and the Mu-Ur were repulsed by its disastrous tale at first. But over time they appreciated this story of their astral, alien origins. Indeed, Astral Disaster is recognised widely now by the Mu-Ur as being a masterpiece.

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Pet Sounds, #1 Record and Exile were considered classic albums from release date. Exile debuted at #1 on the Aussie charts and the NME devoted almost a whole issue to it on release.

16. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I dunno what actually qualifies as "masterpiece" ... I guess it has to do with tastes. Paul set out to make an incredible pop album and he succeeded for me (and finally getting props from many he deserved.) After The Beatles I dunno what people were expecting Paul to do .. bring world peace with music, end the Vietnam War, change the space time continuum, get into an even more nasty pissing match with Lennon ... who knows. I listen to Ram and there are so many little sparkles of creativity jammed into that album that it really stands alone. I think Paul succeeded in exactly what he was trying to do. I will concede that the songs themselves are not as strong as what Paul had done in the past (and what some of his contemporaries were doing at the time) but it is an incredibly fun ride. I enjoy listening to Ram more than any other album by The Beatles post 67 collective or solo. A lot of well executed musical nods to The Beatles and Brian Wilson from somebody who sounds like an extremely talented fanboy. Masterpiece.

17. El Goodo

El Goodo Member

The Yes Album
    Fragile
    Close to the Edge

lance b and Lightworker like this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They were classics at the time. Probably more than now.

19. El Goodo

El Goodo Member

Not by mainstream rock critic standards. Just ask Jann Wenner.

20. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Lorca and Starsailor by Tim Buckley

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

But the public bought them by the truckload and they had lots of credibility. Getting Lenny Kaye or Lester Bangs to review Close to the Edge probably wasn't a good idea

sami, sjaca and vapor minor like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well spotted.
    If you admitted to liking that in 1971, you had balls.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was a #1 album and it's never been out of print (through FOUR labels changes) the only people that hated it were rock critics. It was a masterpiece in 1971 and it still is,

24. El Goodo

El Goodo Member

Fair enough, but when we start equating "masterpieces" with what the public bought by the truckload, everything gets a little ambiguous, imo.

AndydD, Saint Johnny and snowman872 like this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I was at school when those albums came out and they were totally respected at the time. If you were to name a Budgie album I'd agree with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.