Albums that became heralded as masterpieces years after release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readr

readr Forum Resident

I don't think any Cheap Trick album was considered a classic until we got to the late 90's. I actually took some flack for my CT fandom for a good stretch. It seemed that all changed when we learned Kurt Cobain and many others like myself shared a mutual affinity toward the Rockford natives. I'd say that every one of their 70's albums is now consider a classic, to varying degrees. There seems to be a respect for their entire catalogue, now. I knew it all along......

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

Many professional musicians and some music fans alike were blown away by Sounds when it came out spring 1966.

As a whole it was less revered by the record buying public especially Capital Records at the time of its May 1966 release. By the 1990's it was excepted more as a work of genius by the same record, now cd buying public. Just took many years to be considered a work of genius by the public at large. IMHO

Sorry if Pet Sounds was mentioned already.

Tom34772 and forthlin like this.
  3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Anything by Sabbath, but esp Sabotage.

I remember reading the review in the LA Times when the album came out...'cacophonous' was the word that sticks in my memory of the reviewer's opinion.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

really?

if i recall correctly me and about 400 other straglers picked it as their favorite mccartney album.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

me too, can
    t figure out what i'm missing.......'uncle albert'.....'too many people"......"ram on" and...???????????????????? it should have had 'another day" on it.

not even close to 'band on the run", which, if you take out the horrific 'mamunia' would be a perfect album.

snowman872 likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and i have never been able to figure that out........'sticky fingers" is so f**king good, perfect, as a matter of fact, and 'exile" is definitely not perfect, in fact, there are a couple of really bad songs on 'exile', almost unlistenable at times through the din.

Linolad likes this.
  7. The general consensus is that Ram is one of McCartney's best solo albums. I would agree that Band on the Run is certainly up there but some people may have voted for BOTR because, like a lot of folks here do, they vote for stuff they have because they haven't heard some of the others.

Anyhow, I was referring more to the critical reappraisal of Ram not BOTR.

8. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I guess it takes time to know if an album is really a masterpiece.

Part of being a masterpiece is that you still enjoy it years after its release date.

Iggy Pop's The Idiot, I did not like when I first heared it.
    And I only got to like Swordfishtrombones after Raindogs came out.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. I had the same experience with Tom Waits. The Idiot I like immediately but I think the Bowie connecting played more of a role with that at the time.

10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The opposite is true. Sales are facts, opinions are opinions.

Even though I agree with the thought behind your reasoning, that quality and sales often do not go together.

Tim

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

:rolleyes:
    Masterpiece. Uh huh.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

good call was just thinking of this one.a lot of us were kind of upset when it came out.it just didnot "rock" like the previous two.....it has grown in stature for sure.now one of my top five bowie records.

Tanx likes this.
  14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

lou reed's-berlin

future prediction.lulu by lou and metallic will be hailed as one in let's say 15 years from now.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Judee Sill's two albums for Asylum

16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Black Flag: My War (not a favorite in the hardcore scenes but proved a huge inspiration later on in the Seattle area with The Melvins, Mudhoney, Nirvana, etc)
    Jimmy Eat World: Clarity (overlooked at the time; probably the main inspiration for the later emo scenes)
    My Bloody Valentine: Loveless (tops plenty of retrospective best-of lists now but wasn't in the conversation back in the day from what I can tell)
    Radiohead: Kid A (turned a lot of fans off at the time and was very dividing and challenging at the time; now regarded by many as their pinnacle work)
    Weezer: Pinkerton (many critics hated it and it was a slowburner to sink in with fans as well)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    usrlocal likes this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You did:cheers:

18. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

What about Fleetwood Mac's Tusk? Now its seen as a masterpiece especially amongst lo-fi musicians and is seen as their "alternative" record, yet it was a massive commercial disappointment upon release

19. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Absolutely, it was several years ahead of the prog movement. It always amazes me seeing 50 coming up real soon here how music history has been rewritten, sometimes to reflect things that weren't readily apparent until years later like Days Of Future Passed absolutely being the first album with every element of what would become prog years ahead of King Crimson and the others, The White Album is another example, go find the contemporary reviews of the day....."The Beatles 90 minute bore" was a headline. I've written here many times on the critical place of The Byrds as literally starting not one but 2 musical movements that would have ramifications for decades. Johnny Rivers all but written out of music history completely was one of the very biggest movers and shakers in the LA music scene mid 60s as the owner of the Whisky has said, they never would have survived without him. His album Realization is absolutely one of the best albums of the era. I'd say a band that has garnered much more respect long after their peak is The Grateful Dead. Honestly they were really niche up until the late 80s but got discovered by a whole new generation and thankfully all their hard work and touring for decades got the recognition it rightly deserved. Agree also on Pet Sounds, hindsight really brought into focus how awesome a work it was, again panned widely at release. Rubber Soul also shot up many Beatles historians and fans lists decades later.

trumpet sounds and marke like this.
  20. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction, one of the greatest rock albums of all time, was released to middling reviews at first and took over a full year for sales to start to pick up, as basically nobody was buying it at first until "Sweet Child o' Mine" was released as a single the next year.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The Modern Lovers
    Marquee Moon
    Bitches Brew

trumpet sounds and sjaca like this.
  22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Rain Dogs was critically acclaimed from day 1 - it was NME's #1 album of 1985.

Pancat likes this.
  23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

God knows why.

cmarcc likes this.
  24. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

On the basis of Side 1, presumably

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.