Do you regard "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird" as real Beatles songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Are there 4 Beatles on it? It was released under the Beatles name. What's an authentic Beatles song? 4 Beatles have to be alive? TBOJY had only 2 and yet it's a Beatles song. It's a Beatles song whether you like it or not. It's more of a Beatles song than it is Pete and Roger touring as The Who. Did you consider the LZ reunion to be LZ without the original drummer? This was more of a Beatles song than any other of the 2 examples with those groups. Its the Beatles and I would rather have it than not.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The facts of the situation are not in question. The interpretation of the facts is up to the individual. To me these are not real Beatles songs, and others obviously feel the same way, whether you like it or not.

no.nine, BeatleJay and Zeki like this.
  3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

As George Harrison once said when asked about the possibility of a Beatles reunion, there will be no reunion as long as John Lennon remains dead. That was the reality.

no.nine, BDC, BeatleJay and 3 others like this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Seriously. We all know that these songs were officially released under the Beatles moniker. If that were the only issue, this question wouldn't come up again and again. Different fans have different takes on the perceived legitimacy of these songs based on the unusual manner in which they were constructed.

limoges and Zeki like this.
  5. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Yes.

The Ballad Of John And Yoko was just John and Paul...but put out as by The Beatles.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure, but the band was still technically active at that point and the songwriter was still alive to have his vision realized in the way that he intended. "Real Love" and "Free As A Bird" were solo demos that were not completed.

Zeki and BeatleJay like this.
  7. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Should've been a poll. No ****ing way.

BeatleJay and rnranimal like this.
  8. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well of course you do. But you're personal bias or criteria doesn't alter the facts.

The facts are in brief summary. The 3 surviving Beatles, with the blessing of Lennon's widow. Recorded & issued the 2 songs as the Beatles. All 4 are on the recordings, the original cassette actually had Lennon's hand written notation "for Paul" on the title ledger.

It was officially sanctioned & released as The Beatles. There were a plethora of posthumous recordings issued by recording stars of earlier era's, setting numerous precedents of bonafide canon recordings of deceased recording stars or individual band members.

John Lennon was dead, but he is the songwriter, primary vocalist & appears fully.

This wasn't one of those scam deals where you pay to see some band & there are just one or none of the original members from the records.

Everything was done properly above reproach. Nothing was misrepresented, John's widow gave her blessing & provided the tapes, it was all part of a much larger project " The Anthology " which Lennon fully intended to participate in. We have testimony from both May Pang & Jack Douglas, & separate written contracts one from Lennon & another from McCartney. Both of these music contracts drawn up & signed shortly before Lennon's death say the Beatles were going to work together again. McCartney's contract was part of his new 5 year Columbia deal with a clause specifically allowing him to record with the Beatles, signed by him & Columbia in 1979, & Lennon's stating the Beatles intended to perform & or record was signed slightly earlier I believe.

In any event all 4 Beatles are playing, singing, writing, promoting & releasing it as " The Beatles" who has a right to dispute it ? Factually, legally, it is the Beatles.

If you don't like it, or disagree that's one thing, but it exists, they played it & had all agreed to this Anthology project while Lennon was very much alive.

So you're argument it's fake Beatles or not the Beatles is you're personal feeling or opinion, but it's not factual.

The man died Bob, was brutally murdered. But in a way the ( now ) 3 Beatles walked on water & did the nearly impossible of creating 2 ( or several ) new Beatles records from a 3rd or 4th generation mono cassette.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    BDC, Lewisboogie, bob60 and 4 others like this.
  9. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I think it depends...Love broke a lot of rules and some of the hybrids were awesome. I would also love to see some sort of restoration of Sour Milk Sea although no John...
    I'd rather see a unused George riff flown in a song for example than just a rhythm strum on Now and Then.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

YES AND NO, but I'm leaning towards a big NO.

boggs, John B and Zeki like this.
  11. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Well-Known Member

John didn't write the songs for the Beatles. John didn't participate in the so called reunion (how could he). So no way I'm gonna regard them as Beatles songs.

PDK likes this.
  12. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

The only bias exists from believing something exists in a debatable realm beyond pure fact. Facts are not debatable. Love Me Do was the Beatles and no one will argue that.

The Beatles broke up nearly 50 years ago.

A widows blessing does not massage the boner of your fantasia-cal yet articulate illusion.

A widows blessing cannot veto the fact that Lennon himself never thought the piece releasable.

If I mix 4 recording of all ex-Beatles releasing gas it would be a Beatles collaboration by your laughably flawed and arrogant reasoning.

A band is a group of musicians. The group broke up. Corporate permission is...something else aside from the band long defunct.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Zeki, BeatleJay and YardByrd like this.
  13. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

Just putting the remixes here for everyone's benefit.

The Beatles - Real Love

FAAB has a clearer lead vocal, with the ghostiness transferred to the drums. George's lead vocal is a different take, with "love" instead of "life".

RL has totally different guitar bits in the first half, among many instrumental differences.

14. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

Yes, and free as a bird is one of my favorites. I wish we'd get that last one already.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  15. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

But what about the white album then? Many songs on that are Paul's alone or John's, Ringo is not even drumming on Back in the USSR. I would agree if it was 1 band member and the others digitally inserted or 1 and replacements, but 3 Beatles+an approved John track. I don't know, maybe because I was young at the time I can accept it as "Official Canon".

16. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

This was asked before, and this is what I posted. Hope it clarifies:

limoges likes this.
  17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yes they broke up, and then they reformed and released two more singles. Get over it.

ralph7109 and AFOS like this.
  18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Real Love has a longer/different intro. Prefer it to the original mix.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  19. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

20. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

FAAB was a fantastic video. It carried the song for a lot of people hearing and seeing it for the first time.

It stands up even after 20+ years.

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Saying they 'reformed' is really stretching it.

PDK and Zeki like this.
  22. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The video is fantastic, I wholeheartedly agree on that point.

23. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member

John on the idea of a Beatles reunion, September 1980:

PLAYBOY: "This may be the time to talk about those 'in-laws,' as Yoko put it. John, you've been asked this a thousand times, but why is it so unthinkable that the Beatles might get back together to make some music?"

LENNON: "Do you want to go back to high school? Why should I go back ten years to provide an illusion for you that I know does not exist? It cannot exist."

PLAYBOY: "Then forget the illusion. What about just to make some great music again? Do you acknowledge that the Beatles made great music?"

LENNON: "Why should the Beatles give more? Didn't they give everything on God's earth for ten years? Didn't they give themselves? You're like the typical sort of love-hate fan who says, 'Thank you for everything you did for us in the Sixties... would you just give me another shot? Just one more miracle?'"

PLAYBOY: "We're not talking about miracles... just good music."

LENNON: "When Rodgers worked with Hart and then worked with Hammerstein, do you think he should have stayed with one instead of working with the other? Should Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis have stayed together because I used to like them together? What is this game of doing things because other people want it? The whole Beatle idea was to do what you want, right? To take your own responsibility."

PLAYBOY: "It seems as if you're trying to say to the world, 'We were just a good band making some good music,' while a lot of the rest of the world is saying, 'It wasn't just some good music, it was the best.'"

LENNON: "Well, if it was the best, so what?"

PLAYBOY: "So..."

LENNON: "It can never be again! Everyone always talks about a good thing coming to an end, as if life was over. But I'll be 40 when this interview comes out. Paul is 38. Elton John, Bob Dylan... we're all relatively young people. The game isn't over yet. Everyone talks in terms of the last record or the last Beatle concert... but, God willing, there are another 40 years of productivity to go. I'm not judging whether 'I am the Walrus' is better or worse than 'Imagine.' It is for others to judge. I am doing it. I do. I don't stand back and judge... I do."

PLAYBOY: "You keep saying you don't want to go back ten years, that too much has changed. Don't you ever feel it would be interesting... never mind cosmic, just interesting... to get together, with all your new experiences, and cross your talents?"

LENNON: "Wouldn't it be interesting to take Elvis back to his Sun Records period? I don't know. But I'm content to listen to his Sun Records. I don't want to dig him up out of the grave. The Beatles don't exist and can never exist again. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Richard Starkey could put on a concert... but it can never be the Beatles singing 'Strawberry Fields' or 'I Am The Walrus' again, because we are not in our 20s. We cannot be that again, nor can the people who are listening."

PLAYBOY: "But aren't you the one who is making it too important? What if it were just nostalgic fun? A high school reunion?"

LENNON: "I never went to high school reunions. My thing is, Out of sight, out of mind. That's my attitude toward life. So I don't have any romanticism about any part of my past. I think of it only inasmuch as it gave me pleasure or helped me grow psychologically. That is the only thing that interests me about yesterday. I don't believe in yesterday, by the way. You know I don't believe in yesterday. I am only interested in what I am doing now."

PLAYBOY: "What about the people of your generation, the ones who feel a certain kind of music and spirit died when the Beatles broke up?"

LENNON: "If they didn't understand the Beatles and the Sixties then, what the **** could we do for them now? Do we have to divide the fish and the loaves for the multitudes again? Do we have to get crucified again? Do we have to do the walking on water again because a whole pile of dummies didn't see it the first time, or didn't believe it when they saw it? You know, that's what they're asking: 'Get off the cross. I didn't understand the first bit yet. Can you do that again?' No way. You can never go home. It doesn't exist."

limoges, PDK, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

A boner fantasy of laughably flawed & arrogant reasoning.

Well shucks I'll be grits hot dang

Drinkie winkie ?

I'll stand by my assessment, regardless of your strident rebuttal. It was, is & will always be 2 Beatles records.

I suppose Here Comes The Sun & I Me Mine aren't Beatles tracks either eh ? To each their own.

Lewisboogie and bob60 like this.
  25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The above is the kind of post that make coming to SHF so darned entertaining. :D
    A Lennon quote come to mind when I read the above eloquent comment: "I could listen to him for hours!"

John B, PDK and vince like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.