RIP Chuck Berry, 1926-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obcbobd

obcbobd Forum Resident

Went to a Buddy Holly/Ritchie Valens/big Bopper tribute show last night and that's how I heard about Chuck's passing as they announced it and then did a nice version of Johnny B Goode. After the show I looked at my phone and there was a text from my daughter.

Two of my first records I ever bought were Beatles 2nd Album and Stones Get Tour Ya Yas out. I noticed that the songs I like best on both records had a C. Berry as a writer. Who is this guy? I found out not long after. Saw him a few times, great shows. I got an autograph at one and ended up on stage at another.

The best music makes you feel something. Like a Rolling Stone - anger. Love in Vain - sadness. Chuck's music for the most part made me feel happy. Very happy. Very very very happy.

Hail Hail Rock and Roll

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

3. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

Another great quote from Lennon that I think most of us can relate to :)

"When I hear rock, good rock, the calibre of Chuck Berry, I just fall apart and I have no other interest in life. The world could be ending if rock 'n' roll is playing"

4. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

When I think of Chuck Berry I think of Mt. Rushmore regarding the biggest figures of rock and roll history!

fr in sc and MRamble like this.
  5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I think Chuck was inspired by having some jazz guys to back him and it looks like he got on well with them. It was actually in Belgium in 1965, rather than France I believe.

O Don Piano likes this.
  6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

RIP Chuck - you left a generation or 2 of us mesmerized and influenced by your music

June 1969 @ Fillmore East

[​IMG]

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

No list is ever complete without "School Days". More than any other recording by him,
    it captures the essence of rock and roll, and is still my go to "Chuck Berry" recording.
    The media in reporting on him today all mention "Johnny B Goode", "Rock and Roll Music"
    and"Maybelline", but I haven't heard one mention of "School Days", which is odd since
    it is the closest he ever came to a true rock and roll "anthem". The lyrics are some of the
    best rock and roll poetry ever written....by anyone.

Dougd, Adam9 and ralphk like this.
  8. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

Two things came to me when I read this news last night.

1) "You Never Can Tell." The first Chuck Berry song I can remember hearing. I was three when it came out. It made #14 on the Hot 100 during the height of the British Invasion in 1964. I still have the 45 and shared the song on my Facebook page last night. It remain my favorite song of his.
    2) I picked up his autobiography a few years ago at a book sale. I filed it away with some other books I bought, never knowing when I might read it. Then, for some reason, a few nights ago, I pulled it out. "C'est La Vie say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell."

R.I.P.

9. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

What can you say about Chuck Berry? A founding father of Rock n Roll has passed away. If there was no Chuck Berry, what would we be listening to today? RIP Mr. Berry.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Had to post this pic of Chuck taking care of his young fans in the '57. Those kids are all Grandparents by now. I wonder if they have their copies???

[​IMG]

11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Tom Petty: @tompetty
    Rest In Peace Chuck Berry

Kenney Jones (Small Faces/Faces/Who):
    Another legend has left us. They are slowly all fading away. The greatest inventor of Rock and Roll 'Chuck Berry' is gone. He pulled us all together to make Rock and Roll a recognizable form. His influence came upon the shoulders of all of us.
    Very fond memories with the London Session that Mac and I did with him.
    He was 'a leader of a big old band and people came from miles around to hear him play his music. And boy did we see his name in lights'.His music will last forever. I guess now he will be able to play with Beethoven, not just roll over. Johnny be Goode tonight.

Ray Davies:
    "Without Chuck Berry there would have been no roll to rock to.

"His lyrical rhythmic landscapes and vocal style inspired me to write and gave me the belief that I could perform my own work. He is one of America's great poets."

Dave Davies:
    ‏@davedavieskinks
    Today's the day music died-probably the most important musical influence in my life RIP Chuck Berry -Sweet Little 16

12. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

May Chuck Berry rest in peace. :(:cry:

:cool:

13. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

It looks likely now that Roll Over Beethoven could very well be sung by Jeff Lynne's ELO for the 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony closing jam.

:cool:

14. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Whether you like "Memphis","No Particular Place toi Go","My Ding-a-Ling",'School Days","Sweet little 16","Roll over Beethoven","Johnny B.Goode", etc., he wrote (? in the case of "My Dingalong_) and did them all..RIP.

Mr. LP Collector and Adam9 like this.
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have said this elsewhere, I don’t know if he founded rock and roll, but he sure wrote its Constitution. RIP Chuck.

16. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Without Chuck there is no Beatles or Rolling Stones

He is THE founding father of rock

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

19. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

RIP Chuck, rock on!

20. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

In german, b is b flat and h is b natural. That is how Bach could write a fugue on his name.

BeatleJWOL, fr in sc, Adam9 and 3 others like this.
  21. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

For Chuck Berry...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been posted yet but:

[​IMG]

A million years from now some alien will be Reelin and Rockin!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Grant, Adam9, Man at C&A and 6 others like this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

My favorite live Chuck Berry cover ever.

24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

RIP. Influenced generations of musicians.

25. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

RIP Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.