Radio Shack in liquidation?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by cathandler, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member Thread Starter

Apparently the link-up with Sprint that rescued Radio Shack in 2015 has gone sour and the wireless carrier has withdrawn its support. The company is said to have stopped paying its bills. There have been mass layoffs at company headquarters and a fulfillment center has closed. There are scattered reports of closures and liquidation sales all over the country. The only thing remaining is an official bankruptcy filing, but I get a definite impression that it could happen at any time. The most comprehensive (as of this post, anyway) account of the current incarnation's woes is in the trade journal Twice.
    RadioShack May Be Down For The Count

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I have to wonder if Best Buy is far behind them. The only thing I see there populated by customers is the smartphone area, and presumably they're only getting a commission on those contracts and making money on accessories.

AcidPunk15 and Chris C like this.
  3. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member Thread Starter

4. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

The Sprint/Radioshack by me is in liquidation, I saw the sign yesterday. I never really knew what became of them once the Sprint partnership came about, I thought I was mostly Sprint stuff.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

best buy was once a great great store.....so great that they drove circuit city to the grave...which ironically, led to their dominance and present state of mediocrity. no competition will do that. and hh gregg isn;t even in the same league with them.

LordThanos1969, forthlin and Chris C like this.
  6. beercanchicken

I think Best Buy is making somewhat of a comeback. Same day pick up, Amazon isn't really underselling everyone anymore and they carry all of the big selling audio products. But like most brick and mortar stores, people go in to look, test stuff then go home and try to find online at a better price...
    Ive been waiting for Best Buy or Radio Shack to test an order online, store pickup type thing, like a warehouse. The brick and mortar store definitely needs to be rethought...After recently shopping for headphones, Best Buy is really the only place to test anything but they mostly display/carry popular brands in store; I'd think they could capitalize on something like that. Less blenders, more headphones

clhboa likes this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If I had one dollar, for each and every time that some idiot salesperson at either "Best Buy" or "Circuit City" told me to go to their website, when I was perfectly standing in their B&M store, I'd be a damned millionaire. I got to the point with these guys and gals, that I started saying to them, when they told me to do that, "Do you realize that everyday that you tell a customer standing in front of you to go to the website, that you are one day closer to not having a job". As in the song "Vincent" by Don McLean ..., "They would not listen, they're not listening still, perhaps they never will"

beercanchicken likes this.
  8. beercanchicken

I went in there for something else but was doing a home networking thing at home, and a certain issue had me stumped. I was walking by the routers and an employee asked if they could help me (they're REALLY good at that, every 5 feet someone asks if they can help...). I thought maybe he could help me so I told him what I was trying to do at home....His response "At the front of the store is the Geek Squad, they'll go to your house for $100..."
    Yeah, thanks dude, I'm already aware that I could pay someone to solve my problem...

Chris C likes this.
  9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm not even sure whether any Radio Shack store near me remained open after 2015. All of the stores I regularly walked by had liquidation sales back then.

As to Best Buy, I hope they don't go out of business. I could have saved a bit on my new TV by buying online from some company I had never dealt with and then worry about customer service if something went wrong. Basically Best Buy has the same prices as sites like Amazon now, and if they don't they will price match.

beercanchicken likes this.
  10. beercanchicken

they also have the "open box" benefit. there's one fairly close to my office so I'll sometimes just take a stroll over to see if anything good has been returned and available for discount.

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Same here. Honestly, I understand people bagging on Best Buy when it comes to in store cd and/or blu-ray/dvd shopping since their selection is so poor compared to what it once was (and I don't think their music selection was ever that great to begin with), but when it comes to electronics and appliances they have a good selection at competitive prices.

seed_drill and beercanchicken like this.
  12. beercanchicken

Totally agree. One of mine actually has a vinyl section, if you even want to call it that....
    Like I mentioned above, I think they have the potential be fairly successful again if they rethought their model to make it more modern..
    I used to go there specifically to buy CDs, that shopping style is dead to most. People arent going to go to Best Buy anymore hoping they have..... Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" or the "Casablanca" DVD in stock...
    They might buy the "Frozen" DVD as an impulse buy while there buying a new Blu-ray player..

13. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I think it depends on where you are. I needed to replace my TV and, while the Best But website had a ton of things - and for good prices - the in-store options were far more limited. Instead, I went to B&H, which had the same prices, far more options available immediately, and free local delivery.

But that's just New York City.

14. beercanchicken

Yeah, with all the data these companies have now, you think each individual store would be able to cater to their community/location better..

I love B&H, I've always wondered what their store looked like..

somnar likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

16. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The Coolidge Corner store in Brookline closes on Sunday. They're already practically stripped bare.

17. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

So far they are still open in the Houston area, but I'll keep an eye open again like two years ago.

I did buy a Samsung washer/dryer set last year at Best Buy, they have a huge selection, watch for sales.

18. digdug67

I went into my local Radio Shack [Houston area] this weekend and talked to an older woman who has been with them for years, said she has done many store openings and closings over the years. Thought they might close some other Houston stores but that this particular one would likely be fine. So I'm guessing they're just trimming down again and the stores that are doing okay business will stay open.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You can only go bankrupt so many times before the ship sinks, though...

20. digdug67

True enough. When I was there a woman was helping a young couple with their Sprint stuff, but other than that I was the only one browsing around :)

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They really need to change the name of the stores. What in the hell is a "Radio Shack"? A small building you buy radios in? It's a terribly outdated name.

22. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have one here in my town that has been here forever. In a small L shaped strip mall with a new Aldi & CVS. Keep waiting for it to fold, but keeps chugging along. Been in it twice years ago for some LED type bulbs for an ancient amp. All of a $5.00 purchase.

23. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

That's a shame, I have a Radio Shack near me. I usually go there for electronic plugs, and audio products.

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Our HH Gregg is closing, isn't corporate in bankruptcy? The last remaining Radio Shack in the area is also going out of business and I noticed the one in Shelby was already closed. The Spartanburg Best Buy seems pretty healthy, though.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

If there is anything left after this, it will not be freestanding stores, but an online presence only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.