Dumbest things ever overheard at a record store!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I had someone ask me one where our "square discs" were. I had absolutely no idea what he could possibly be talking about and he got quite enraged at me when I couldn't help him. About ten minutes later, he came back holding a compact disc, and slammed it down in front of me and said "These! These square discs!" I calmly picked it up and said to him "These are round."

Never saw him again.

2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I was told this story by the person who asked the question.
    It was not so much what was overheard as it was what followed the question being asked.
    A bunch guys in Grade 13 from my high school went down to Ft. Lauderdale FL for Spring Break '71.
    The guy asked a clerk at the record store if they had any Alice Cooper.
    Then, the most recent album would have been Love It To Death, which came out in January of that year.
    The guy brought them back the new Al Kooper album.

3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I heard John Mayer being played over the system. Does that count? :)

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Hi, i want to look a pink floyd album
    Ok, how write this?
    :whistle::tsk::whistle:

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's not so dumb. There are a lot of people in that age group who have seriously never heard a whole Beatles album. I know a lot of them.

kyouki likes this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

That one seems like a misconception worth perpetrating, though. :nyah:

7. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

...that cd is better than vinyl. ha ha

The Freedom Man and Sean like this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ah yes, the yet-to-be-inddocrenated.

We'll get to 'em eventually, don't worry.

:)

9. :biglaugh:

hi_watt and Say It Right like this.
  10. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

At a local record shop thumbing through LPs quietly, when these two hipsters walk through going on and on about how they should buy this record and that record and they should only buy lps. Then they walk overror to the poster bin answer I hear them complaining that the posters are too expensive and they can't afford them.

Vinyl may not be the right listening medium for these children....

joshm2286 and Steve Simm like this.
  11. Terrapin Station

You should have said, "What do you think about his brother, England Dan?"

12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I'm browsing the Beatles section and this girl comes over to me and asks-

"What's mono?"

13. Terrapin Station

Rubber Plant? He's the guy who gives little old aunts high hopes.

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I've posted about this before in another thread, but I once overheard one of the staff in the vinyl section at Rasputin in Berkeley tell someone to rub a lemon on vinyl to fix scratches.

15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

How is that dumb ?
    Why should current generation kids ( you did say "girl") have a friggin' clue about a long extinct type of record sound reproduction ?
    Just looked up your age......you do realize that your knowing means you are a member of an infinitely tiny segment of young people ?

16. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

Two women talking about Fleetwood Mac: The first woman talked about how much she loves Stevie Nicks, and the other woman said something about Lindsey Buckingham and the first woman said "Oh, I love her too!"

17. Terrapin Station

One time I heard someone say that they were using a chicken to measure it.

18. 905

905 Senior Member

Which is odd if you listen to his live album released a few years before that.

19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Don't really have a story, but every time I hear someone an LP a "Vinyl," I want to kick a kitten.

20. Terrapin Station

And you said, "Avoid it. Just the fever can last a couple weeks, and you can easily have symptoms for six months or more."

nick99nack, NorCal, klockwerk and 4 others like this.
  21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Plus, if she was nice looking, he didn't recognize the opportunity to open up a conversation and potentially get a date. Then who was dumb?

22. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

"So which ones have Axl Rose and not the other guys?"

Overheard for real!!!

joshm2286, Ash76, klockwerk and 2 others like this.
  23. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I had one guy ask me if we had "that song that's on the radio now." Not a song that was currently playing at that moment, just one that was being heard a lot on broadcast radio at that moment in history.

24. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

"Would you like an apple pie with tha-at?"

25. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

A good one yesterday... although I'm bending the rules a bit, because the poor guy I was talking to was the one overhearing the dumbest thing and I was the one saying it.

He mentioned that he had an overstock room of stuff they didn't have room for on the actual shelves, and that he'd be happy to go look for anything. Cool! I asked if they had any more Waterboys. He ran off to check. The Waterboys section (of the main shelves) actually had a very rare 2006 deluxe CD set that's been out of print for a long time (and that I paid just as much for beat up and used!), so I thought maybe they'd have some more rare stuff. He came back about five minutes later with an armful of about ten CDs. I had all of them (obsessively mad collector - a bunch of them were pretty rare, but again I had them) except for the standard edition of Book Of Lightning - I only have the special version with the DVD. I said, out loud, "Well, I don't have the version without the DVD... I'm going to have to pick that up at some point, but I think I'll wait right now. Sorry." I got a pretty confused look and he went back to put them all back in the employees-only room.

I know there are some pretty obsessive collectors out there, but based on his reaction I'm one of the weirdest! Yeah, this CD is identical to the one I have but it doesn't have the totally essential bonus DVD... I still need it, but I'm not going to buy it now. Sorry I made you go out of your way to track this stuff down! (I did apologize, he was cool).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.