Marvel's Iron Fist on Netflix 3/17

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterbozz, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone else watching this? This seems to have got a critical mauling but I am 3 episodes in and nothing really seems to justify the poor ratings, pretty enjoyable.
    I'm not familiar with the source material however...

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Is there pointless boning in it?

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, the reviews have been brutal, as in: Netflix first Marvel dud. I'll skip this one.

4. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Ignore the reviews... I just started episide 4 and am enjoying it much more than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage... not sure where I'd rank it with Daredevil's two seasons yet... at this point better than S2 but not S1... and no gratuitous sex or nudity thus far and it doesn't seem like there will be based on the story arcs playing out.

Don't skip it based on the reviews... give it a shot.

CBC and CrazyCatz like this.
  5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

stuff the reviews ! (seen far too many movies that got very bad reviews so I now don't give a stuff about reviews !) this is a must watch because of the next chapter the defenders!

6. Ignore the reviews. I think that many critics were expecting something different. It is a bit slower than some of the other shows but I found it to be better than Luke Cage although not quite up to the level of Daredevil.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The thing is, the reviews I read explained the reasons behind the criticism. They also highly praised the other three Marvel Netflix properties in comparison to this one, whereas I only thought the other three were at best mediocre (except for Daredevil S1, which I thought was excellent, but S2 was a dumpster fire after the first 3 or 4 eps).

The biggest problem with these Marvel Netflix shows is that they never have enough material to fill all the episodes, not even close. They would be much better served as 6 - 8 episode seasons. So you see, I'm not at all enthusiastic about seeing this, especially as it's deemed to be worse that the others.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. misterbozz

I am yet to see anything resembling boning, pointless or otherwise!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. misterbozz

I'd imagine this will be the case here too.
    I see the upcoming Defenders mini-series will be 8 episodes, that sounds promising.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Four episodes in, I am enjoying it. Only real complaint is that two of the main antagonists (Ward and Harold Meacham) are written and portrayed a bit too broadly. If you have watched the other Marvel shows, they are not as over the top corny as "Diamondback" from Luke Cage, but they are not as fun to watch as "Cottonmouth" was either.

Neither is in a league with Wilson Fisk or Kilgrave.

That being said, they do look almost eerily like they could be a real life father and son.

davenav and wayneklein like this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I want to know if Jessica Jones makes the lead character "happy" :nyah:

12. misterbozz

Alert, should anyone require it, a few seconds of "probably contextually appropriate" boning in Episode 7.
    Also for the squeamish some rather nasty body disposal scenes.

Episode 6 was the best so far, better than most of Daredevil S2 and anything the latter half of Luke Cage had to offer.

CrazyCatz and davenav like this.
  13. Things I don't understand about Iron Fist:

1) They're warrior monks--and he only gets 1 Iron Fist? They don't fight with two hands? What's up with that?
    2) Wade and Rand are suddenly friends after he tried to have him killed and committed to a psych hospital? If he's that forgiving what would piss him off so much that he hates someone?
    3) He didn't trusted that the bad "guy" would have homor? They're BAD guys!
    4) Will Cialsis hel his Chi so he summon the Iron fist more often to stand up against the bad guys?

14. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

If they don't use Motorhead's 'Iron Fist' at some point in the series why are we even doing this?

Bingo Bongo and GodShifter like this.
  15. No, just one scene in episode seven.

16. That should be honor in #3

17. Nope. Someone else here does.

18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I watched the first three episodes and lost interest. I also read that the lead actor blamed the low ratings on the public's dislike of white millionaires. How about poorly written characters and hard to believe scenarios?

Deesky likes this.
  19. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'm two episodes in. I'll give it a chance.

20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I can understand the poor reviews and how cheap the production value of the series is but overall, I never really too many issues. David Wenham could have improved on his American accent and I do wonder whether Finn Jones was the right man for the role to begin with. And I must say, the direction leaves a lot to be desired as well. If Season 2 never happens, Netflix should make a Heroes for Hire series to bring Luke and Danny together.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That is what the Defenders will be I believe: Luke and Danny with Daredevil and Elektra and Jessica Jones.

22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I was not aware it started yet- I need to watch this as one of my best friends is in it. Have they shown any scenes where there is a patient in the psych ward that thinks he's a superhero?

misterbozz likes this.
  23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Where did you read this? That does not sound plausible as Netflix does not publish ratings, there are no standard third party ratings measures for streaming series, and Netflix has not indicated anything positive or negative about the viewership numbers for this series to date.

24. misterbozz

I think I read it was regarding why critics reviews were negative, as opposed to ratings, which as you say are unknown.

25. misterbozz

I guess this is in episode 2, though I don't quite recall that particular description when the introduce the patients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.