Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

She played here a few months ago. I thought about going, but based on the recordings I had heard decided against it.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

All my sprouting tulips were wiped out by the last snowstorm, i.e. buried under 10" of snow ... :sigh:

3. coopmv

She has to have her fans or else Hyperion would not have requested her to record WTC's twice ...

4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ah, but if you hear that Glenn Gould is coming to play, you definitely need to go! ;)

vanhooserd likes this.
  5. coopmv

I doubt anyone at CMC has ever attended a live Glenn Gould's performance, just saying ...

6. coopmv

Now playing CD50 - Cantatas Nos 165 - 168 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

7. coopmv

Now playing CD20 - Beethoven Sonatas Nos 17, 21 & 30 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

I have found these Beethoven Piano Sonatas by Lili Kraus to be quite good or do I need a hearing test? Your thoughts, George? :winkgrin:

9. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - Symphony No. 6 & Leonore Overture No. 2 from the following box from my Beethoven collection ...

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  10. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable this evening. Something I enjoy about this performance is the energy and unabashed romantic approach of soloist and orchestra...there is none of the sort of "classical restraint" here, it's "heart on the sleeve" and dramatic music making, and I never tire of listening to it.
    [​IMG]

zeram1, crispi, bigstar87 and 5 others like this.
  11. coopmv

IMHO, the Jochum RCO combo is quite competitive against the Bohm VPO combo when it comes to the Beethoven 6th ...

12. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

My evil twin....:evil::evil::evil:

[​IMG]

13. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I'd heard a story to the effect that Van Cliburn also recorded the Schumann with Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony, but RCA decided to shelf it in favor of this recording.

Of course, if you want to hear Cliburn with the BSO, it's readily available online:

ToddBD and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

What an unflattering photo of Fritz. Also it looks like Van is wearing an attractively-patterned skirt until you realize that's the back of a chair Reiner is sitting in. :)

ToddBD, David*M and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  15. DeepFloyd11

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

vanhooserd likes this.
  16. DeepFloyd11

Good morning everyone! Happy Monday. On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Direct Metal Master recordings mostly sound really nice. :righton:

ToddBD, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I really enjoyed this box set of Vivaldi. Beautifully recorded.

L'Arte dell'Arco
    Federico Guglielmo, concertmaster
    Vivaldi: Complete Concertos & Sonatas Opp. 1-12
    Brilliant, 2016
    20 CDs

Engineer: Fabio Framba
    Recorded 2010-2014 , Abbazia di Carceri d'Este, Padua, Italy
    Recording authorized by and based on the Critical Edition by Fabrizio Ammetta, Istituto Italiano Antonio Vivaldi, Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice.

[​IMG]

misterjones and scompton like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sheesh, the cover photos these days... :rolleyes: :shake:

crispi and bigstar87 like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I posted this a while back, but, apart from @drh, there was no response. I was told that the sound on many Music & Arts releases is mediocre at best, and that they do suffer from excessive filtering, cutting off the highs and lows, which results in an aggressive midrange. Has anyone heard the 2013 M&A Toscanini 1939 Beethoven set (above) that was remastered by Aaron Z. Snyder? I understand that he used the "harmonic balancing" tool for this remastering. Snyder's remasterings apparently resemble Andrew Rose/Pristine's mastering work; I don't like Rose's work at all, and all this makes me wary of the Snyder box. I wonder if I would be better off getting the OOP Naxos releases of the 1939 cycle instead. Any opinons?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    crispi likes this.
  20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Halasz plays with tremendous feeling and virtuosity. Excellent sound, though I'm not a fan of his type of guitar, a Matthias Dammann "double-top."

[​IMG]

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just found out that Richard Caniell, whose earlier Toscanini work was released by Naxos, released a completely newly remastered set of all 1939 Toscanini Beethoven broadcasts on his own label, Immortal Perforamnces (Canada). This is the set:

Immortal Performances

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. DeepFloyd11

Hahaha... I think he had just watched Star Wars....'May the musical Force be with you !!':D

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'd love to get this set, but it doesn't seem to be available in the EU. It's a Canadian label; I e-mailed them about possible distributors in the EU. Wait and see...

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks for this--although my wallet is not too happy with you at the moment. FAR too many tempting things on the website, only starting with this set. For those who are wondering: the "stereo" 1939 overtures are reconstructions like a few popular issues that have come out now and then: a mating of the output of one monaural microphone that did the "domestic" feed and another that was dedicated to recordings for South America. I've read elsewhere that for various reasons these constructs' "stereo" character is open to debate; the least out of synch and they will give a false stereo effect. Or so the argument goes.

geralmar likes this.
  25. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    Although included as a bonus in the Brilliant Vivaldi box I posted above, it has been issued as a single disc with this cover.
    Francesco Galligioni, cello
    L'Arte dell'Arco
    Vivaldi: Cello Sonatas
    Brilliant, 2016

DeepFloyd11 likes this.