The Creation - Action Painting [New 2CD set]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Doubtful. Numero Group is obviously just filling pre-orders ahead of street date -- I got my copy of the vinyl set today.

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It was interesting that they noted in the booklet that the backing vocals were added later for the single version. Perhaps they said this anticipating that people might complain about the missing vocals. They can claim that this is the "original" version, despite the single being the first version that was released to the public. (I'm still not sure if the version without the backing vocals was ever released before now.)

3. totmeyer

totmeyer Forum Resident

e.s., would you mind telling us if the Numero vinyl set includes a book...and whether it's lp-sized or the same format as the cd book? Thanks!

4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

No book.

5. totmeyer

totmeyer Forum Resident

Appreciate the reply, but I'm not sure that I can "like" the answer :tiphat:

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I've never bought anything from this company before. Can you please elaborate on what you mean?

Thanks!

Mark

7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Always B&W photos for covers (although sometimes they do them in colors ala Warhol prints) with just their icon/logo fairly large (and again, sometimes that is in color). It's just too much the uniform company image along the lines of Factory or the Criterion DVDs, and not enough individuality per artist, or graphics from the period of the recording (although I see their Creation 45s imitate the Planet labels).

8. Mark Wilson

Oh ok thanks. When you said "eco packaging" I thought you might've meant those digipak's made with cheap flimsy biodegradable materials like Walmart used to use on some compilation discs.

Mark

9. beccabear67

Well, a lot of them to me are a variation on the eco thing; mostly paper/card with the plastic tray stuck to it with glue. I do see some have a color photo but there is never any text on the front, just their company logo (and a number)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark Wilson likes this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny, the only Numero title I own (Fern Jones - The Glory Road) comes in a regular CD jewel case inside a cardboard slipcase. Might the booklets for most of their releases be too thick for regular packaging?

11. beccabear67

I wonder if they started with that and switched later to the eco card case thing?

[​IMG]

12. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Mark Wilson and simonux like this.
  13. beccabear67

Thanks for sharing that! But... I wonder how do paper sleeves for the CDs make for "a nice job on packaging"? Unless of course a person doesn't play the CDs. I tend to the Japanese that form follows function, if the function is not optimal there is no beauty. I think the best thing for CDs is that they are not rubbing against something in and out like that. So I still find Numero's entire output having matching formats off-putting, however recyclable or recycled and eco-friendly they may be. I don't buy music to not keep it or to not play it either. They even stick out from other slim eco folders, geniuses from art college I suppose. :sigh:

14. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

NĂºmero said that
    the vinyl insert has all the content of the book, just...bigger and more compact.

totmeyer likes this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Someone on another site posted that this set and the Creation Theory set have the same mastering.

16. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Couldn't disagree more re: Numero's CD packaging. I think their whole aesthetic is very classy and the matching spines look great on the shelf together.

The packaging for this new Creation set seems to mimic their recent Ork Records and Bobo Yeye boxes and IMHO both are things of beauty. Nothing "eco" about them - these are lavish and well-curated with a quality feel.

Little bit annoyed about the export embargo on this set, which has jacked up the price somewhat over this side of the pond. I get that the recordings have been licensed to Edsel over here and they want us to spring for that set - but the Numero box makes more sense for someone like me with limited interest in the DVD or reunion stuff (and a shelf full of matching Numero titles!).

dlemaudit, Dudley Morris and Mr. H like this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Nicely presented set and these companies are getting better with cardboard slip cases. They are getting smoother and the discs Numero uses haven't beeb scratched in my several releases I've purchased. I still slip the discs into rice paper sleeves after the first removal.

18. beccabear67

Earlier CD releases have a plastic tray (with the four glops of rubber whatever holding it). I'm now wavering between Numeros 2LP set and downloading the tracks from them as flacs.

19. Mark Wilson

My 2 CD set arrived today. Won't get to listen for a couple days, but I have to agree the packaging is very nice. I've never bought anything from them before so I don't have anything to compare back to, but this is one of the nicer sets I've seen for only 2 discs. Very anxious to hear them though.

Mark

Mr. H likes this.
  20. redeyedandblue

Their "mainline" releases are (and continue to be) digipak+booklet+slipcase (judging by my collection of Numero CD titles, they made the switch from jewelcase+slipcase in around 2013).

Everything they've said about this release, all the publicity shots and unboxing videos make it clear this is not one of those, but one of their more lavish sets a la the Ork and Bobo Yeye boxes I mentioned earlier.

Hardback book + thick, heavy cardboard slipcase. As I say, IMHO, a thing of beauty. Obviously YMMV.

If you're still not convinced, FLAC is probably the way to go, particularly if you've got any kind of completist tendencies (as many posters here tend to!) - LP set has vastly fewer tracks, favouring the new remixes over the original, vintage mixes.

Mark Wilson, beccabear67 and Mr. H like this.
  21. beccabear67

I just now realized, the term I wanted was 'digi-pack', not 'eco', sorry for my confusion. We were talking at cross-purposes as I had two things mixed together.

22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Any info on the vinyl mastering? Shel Talmy's productions from this period are some of the best sounding rock recordings ever.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  23. Like Sub Pop before them, they know that a uniform look gets record collectors all tingly and can lead to otherwise unlikely purchases thanks to the "completist" impulse. :)

Mark Wilson and redeyedandblue like this.
  24. redeyedandblue

You got me! I started buying Numero for their folk, power pop and indie rock releases but have ended up picking up a whole host of their other stuff that I might not otherwise have checked out. Pretty much without exception, I've been pleasantly surprised.

The "tingly feeling" from seeing them on the shelf together is certainly a factor. Also helps that they do consistently excellent work, of course!

Mr. H and Dudley Morris like this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Great label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.