New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Gilded palace is an A&M title- the original is the brown A&M label.

2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

New announcement heads-up. Later this week I'll be announcing double-45RPM versions of Judee Sill's two records- her self-titled debut and the follow-up, Heart Food. Mastered directly from the original master tapes by Kevin Gray! Judee's debut was the first LP released on the Asylum label, and she's a mesmerizing artist. Very spiritual and deep lyrics, and amazing production. She actually did her own string arrangements and conducted the string playing. I absolutely love these records and I think you will too.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Great news but unfortunately a double 45 rpm will be near to £80 each when imported to UK. Do you know what 4 men with Beards used as a source for their reissues? Actually sound pretty good which is not the norm with their titles.

IR Shane likes this.
  4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

+1 on Irma. I'd love to have a mono copy of Wish Someone Would Care cut by Kevin Gray.

Crush87 likes this.
  5. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I have no idea what they used. Double 45s are pricey no about- these are going to carry a $55 US retail price tag. No way to avoid that. All I can do is make sure they're worthy every penny!

Jrr likes this.
  6. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

That's a nifty out-of-left-field choice! I wouldn't have thought of Judee Sills for reissues.

IR Shane likes this.
  7. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Tapes sounded phenomenal, getting the TPs is going to be like early xmas!

googlymoogly likes this.
  8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

It is a good one, but there are so many copies around on vinyl! "Off the Wall" would be the one I'd like.

izgoblin and IR Shane like this.
  9. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I just bought Wonderland on vinyl with the hope that IR will release it's cut of The Circus.

IR Shane likes this.
  10. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Why are you doing this to me, I need to eat!:D

IR Shane likes this.
  11. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Me too!

12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Sorry doctor!

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

They nailed it and a ton of people missed out on it. Now the mfsl is very expensive on the secondary market.

Guaranteed seller if you can get Kevin on it. Would sale like hotcakes. Ya'll do it and it turns out as well or better than the mfsl, Ill buy three and donate one for a fundraiser here. That is a promise.

googlymoogly and IR Shane like this.
  14. MFSL "Sea Change" was one of the first LPs I bought when I started collecting (I am relatively new to the hobby, :))... Pretty glad I picked that one up. Also snagged the MFSL "Angel Dust" around the same time. Anyway, back to topic!

googlymoogly and IR Shane like this.
  15. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Appreciate that, but there are plenty of titles to find that haven't already gotten a superlative reissue. I've never wanted to do a record ONLY because I could sell it. Don't get me wrong, I want to sell the hell out of these things! But not just because I can.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No to be argumentative. But it wouldnt be just about sales. a lot of people want a stellar Sea Change lp and would line up to get it. Anyway, thanks for your time and good luck.

IR Shane likes this.
  17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I think what Shane is getting at, though, is that you don't have to look too far to find the same sized pool of people who didn't just miss out on a MFSL/AP/etc. reissue, but have never had a chance to buy their favorite album because it hasn't ever been reissued to begin with. There's too much music in this world to keep reissuing the same titles over and over, no matter how small or limited the runs have been in the past.

18. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I take it you are not a fan of the current reissue? I've heard it's very good compared to the original, but not sure how it compares to the MoFi. I have a copy and think it sounds great, but have nothing else to compare it to outside of a DVD-A release.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No one hates the tedious over reissued audiophile lp more than I do. And while Im totally all for albums that havent been reissued, there are exceptions. And you do need something to boost the profit margin some in a business. That way you can spend more for those titles that you really want to release and make people happy with an awesome classic release. It isnt as if Sea Change is Nevermind thats been reissued gobs of times or Kind Of Blue thats been done to death. Heck someone do a poll and see how many people would buy a great sounding Sea Change on vinyl who missed out on the mfsl. After all its about the customer, right? But, hey, maybe Im overstepping my boundries. Its not my business.

googlymoogly likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive heard drops of both the mfsl and the new reissue. I have an original also. No comparison. mfsl all the way.

Preston and IR Shane like this.
  21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Not overstepping your boundaries - this is all good discussion - and I'll leave it up to Shane to give a proper response, I don't mean to speak for him. I think your point about boosting profit margins to make room for some of the more passion-based reissues is valid. I personally just have a hard time looking at something like Sea Change which has been pressed to vinyl, by my count at least (I'm no super fan), on four separate occasions, while literally countless other titles only once or never at all. I really respect a philosophy which prioritizes such albums, that's all.

IR Shane likes this.
  22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

All the Whiskeytown albums deserve a quality pressing. The Lost Highway ones are pretty terrible. (And FS has never appeared on vinyl.) There's also a huge built-in audience for those thanks to Ryan Adams.

As for the rest... Gentlemen was only recently reissued so that's out. Dummy was just reissued again so that's out. And WB has the entire Flaming Lips catalog locked up. Best to stick with realistic choices.

Dirt would be a nice one although MOV probably still has the rights. And Facelift would be better seeing how no one can seem to reissue that one...

ksuwdboots and IR Shane like this.
  23. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Throwing a few "hard to gets" in here

Kate Bush - Aerial
    Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (4 grammies, never officially on vinyl)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    IR Shane likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I appreciate that and of course Im just one voice that loves that album. Its not just my pet wish though. There are a lot of fans who would love done.

Now having said that, if in my fantasy reissue wish I could get The Breeders Last Splash and say Whiskey Town-Faithless Street in best ever sound quality or Sea Change in best ever sound quality, but I couldnt have both? Id choose Last Splash and Faithless Street. Because, yes, something that hasnt been done before needs to be done first. I wouldnt like that I couldnt choose Sea Change also, but Id go for what hasnt been done.

Of course thats all simply fantasy. Reality is: Which of those three are more likely to have the best chance of being reissued?

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How do the Dummy and Gentlemen reissues sound?