Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Discogs, ebay....

2. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Gave it a spin this morning. Spindle hole snug :)....almost no surface noise....the only caveat? Not what if call a dynamic pressing....the verdict make change when I get a chance to open the volume up some.
    I live in a condominium and the neighbors to my right do not appreciate loud music. This is somewhat ironic seeing that Brad Whitford's (of Aerosmith fame) mother owned and lived in that unit several years ago.....
    But overall I'm happy with my purchase. Of it does sound more vibrant and dynamic at a more reasonable volume level I will update accordingly.
    I must agree with the critics regarding the potential lost to the Jazz world as this is some pretty amazing playing for a new guy on the scene. Apparently this was the album that was meant to introduce Clifford as a leader to the Jazz world. His work afterward with Max Roach is the showcase material but considering he died in his mid 20's due to a car crash, we are lucky to have what we do......he quite possibly been one of the giants of trumpet had things gone otherwise.

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone with earlier or different pressings of "memorial album" and thier takes on it...

Joti Cover likes this.
  3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

John Patton - Oh Baby!

original '65 mono Blue Note BLP 4192 (NY labels, Plastylite, VAN GELDER stampers)
    Got spanked at work the last few nights, need something to take my mind off it all. Paired with a Napa Valley zinfandel. Calgon, take me away! :cheers:

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though he died so young, Clifford has often been considered the greatest jazz trumpeter ever, and almost always in the top 5 (if that really means anything). Now that you enjoy that recording, I suggest you try a true mono version (whether CD or vinyl). Any CD edition is better than a vinyl re-channeled stereo. But first, I would get the Emarcy recordings, which represent Clifford at his best.

Clifford Brown - The EmArcy Master Takes [4 CD] - Amazon.com Music

[​IMG]

One of my best friends (now deceased) was a high school classmate of Clifford's and had a small band with Clifford. I miss his stories

5. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I will check that out....his story and music have definitely piqued my curiosity.......I'm fairly new to the Jazz that was prominent in the 40's-60's .....I have always liked fusion jazz but nothing from the earlier era.....I'm currently obtaining albums by artists that are considered "must have" albums and this one was getting off track of that objective..but I really liked what I heard of Cliffords...

6. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I think Duke is getting into my blood. 4th listen today, it is only 3pm.

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Jimi HendrixSouth Saturn Delta (Experience Hendrix — Legacy / Sony Music)

[​IMG]

A small jazz detour.

Starwanderer, ronfint, markp and 9 others like this.
  8. Phillip Walch

You just picked my next album to play :) cheers....

Lonson likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There are many great recordings to get. Offhand, I suggest you try something by Sonny Rollins from the 1950's. Prestige label or Bluenote label first, but the Contemporary label or Riverside label Rollins are also excellent. Be sure to try Monk and Bud Powell as well. The list is long

miklew and Marzz like this.
  10. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Joe Henderson - In 'N Out (1964)

2012 Music Matters 45 R.P.M. stereo reissue

[​IMG]

11. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I have The Immortal Clifford Brown in a 2 LP Mercury mono box set. Appears to be from 1964. I got it 2nd hand in Oxfam for £25. Good stuff.

honestabe316 and Lonson like this.
  12. David Ellis

[​IMG]
    I had stored this as too schmaltzy (?) for my liking. Giving a play now. It's pretty good too.
    Featuring:-
    George Bohanon
    Michael Brecker
    Randy Brecker
    Chick Corea
    Russell Ferrante
    Chuck Findlay
    Dave Grusin
    BB King
    Ramsey Lewis
    Eric Marienthal
    Bob Mintzer
    John Patitucci
    Nelson Rangel
    Arturo Sandoval
    Tom Scott
    Ernie Watts
    Dave Weckl
    And then I look at the play list
    Monk, Davis, Coltrane, Corea, Silver, Mingus....
    This ones staying out of storage!
    Funny. I had a Dave Grusin thing in the early '80s but went off him because I thought he was too smooth.

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Obviously the mastertape sonics and condition of tapes 10 or 15 years later are going to play a role in the sound of any given disc. The vinyl surface is high quality and much quieter than the US vinyl. Also unlike the Japanese pop rock titles they don't add an analytical or SS edge to the sound. The basic sound is quite warm. I buy them with confidence and haven't been disappointed with Japan jazz titles from King, Toshiba or Victor. I would stick with pressings made in the 70s and early 80s though.

14. David Ellis

Another one from storage
    [​IMG]
    Love the hammond.

alankin1 and Six String like this.
  15. David Ellis

And another
    [​IMG]
    Okay, I'll stop boring you now:)

Soulpope and Six String like this.
  16. Phillip Walch

Finally got there........ Now playing

[​IMG]

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That album is addictive. Fleurette Africaine (African Flower) is one of the most haunting pieces ever recorded.

18. Phillip Walch

I can certainly vouch for that. I have forced myself away from it now but I will return soon no doubt.

DTK likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Now listening to a new addition to the "Jazz in Paris" series: "Hard Bop". . . .Five tracks are the Roger Guerin led session that Blue Note reissued as part of "Benny Golson and the Philadelphians, and four tracks led by Art Farmer with Lionel Hampton sidemen.

1. Stablemates - Roger Guérin Quintet
    2. Moanin' - Roger Guérin Quintet
    3. Blues march - Roger Guérin Quintet
    4. I remember clifford - Roger Guérin Quintet
    5. Not serious - Roger Guérin Quintet
    6. Serenade to sonny - Art Farmer New Jazz Stars
    7. Purple shades - Art Farmer New Jazz Stars
    8. Strike up the band - Art Farmer New Jazz Stars
    9. La rose noire - Art Farmer New Jazz Stars

Hard Bop: Art Farmer New Jazz Stars, Multi-Artistes: Amazon.fr: Musique

jeffsjazz, ronfint and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. Lonson

[​IMG]
    Plays Django: Django Reinhardt, Django Reinhardt & Ses Rythmes: Amazon.fr: Musique

Newly released in the Jazz in Paris series: Django Reinhardt plays Django.

1. Oriental shuffle - Django Reinhardt et le Quintette Hot Club
    2. Vendredi 13 - Django Reinhardt et le Quintette Hot Club
    3. Pêche à la mouche
    4. Douce ambiance
    5. Nymphéas
    6. Dinette
    7. Swing 41
    8. Diminushing
    9. Rythme futur
    10. Swing 39
    11. Naguine
    12. Manoir de mes rêves
    13. Vette
    14. My serenade
    15. Swingtime in springtime
    16. Nuits de saint-germain-des-prés
    17. Nuages - Django Reinhardt & Ses Rythmes

Jackie P, markp, rockinlazys and 2 others like this.
  21. Mr Bass

One of the greatest jazz LPs of the 60s and all three musicians are great. Sadly it is afflicted with one of the worst engineering jobs of any major label of that era as well. The Classic Records 200G Quiex is the best salvage job vinyl pressing although a 70s era French repressing isn't terrible either. I have no idea what happened. The CD issue threw extra tracks in there because of the short length of the original LP. I couldn't tell what disc was being played in the post.

DTK likes this.
  22. Lonson

JUST WANT TO ADD: this is an excellent collection of Django in great sound. The numbers with electric guitar are especially great.

Jackie P likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There are stories about the dispute between Mingus and Roach (likely caused by Mingus) during this session; Mingus storming out; and Duke chasing down Mingus and trying to soothe him to save the session. Duke wrote about it. It is great that Duke saved the day, and too bad that this trio did not record again. If so, Duke would have clearly revealed his talents at the keyboard in new ways.

BKphoto, DTK and Mr Bass like this.
  24. Mr Bass

If a person can play angry bass, that was Mingus on Money Jungle. But quite frankly it was necessary at that stage to provoke or goad Ellington into extending himself. Even on the cover picture Duke doesn't look too healthy.

25. Lonson

I don't get that from the session. Duke was on top of the two youngsters. He didn't need goading, they needed to figure out how to play for him . . . if anyone needed to adapt or be extended in my opinion it was Charlie and Max.

This is a fantastic session. The sound doesn't matter to me, I'm always drawn in. I sometimes listen to "Piano in the Foreground" in the same listening session. . . .

DTK and SteelyTom like this.