REVIEW: Record Doctor V Record Cleaning Machine from Audio Advisor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Just got one about two weeks ago and it works really well. Cleaned about 7 records the first batch and it seemed to get warm and tired. No big deal.
    I got to see it in action with a new clear vinyl LP- donald fagen sunken condos, and you can see through the vinyl as the vacuum sucks the fluid off the surface- quite evenly- it was cool to see this.
    The brush that came with it is really stiff and can scratch the vinyl! I tried it on an old scrap record and it scores the vinyl easily and deeply!
    I now use the Mofi brush. The Mofi brush is the real deal- it seems to pull a vacuum / some suction on the surface as you are cleaning. Definitely the right brush for the job.
    I use the original brush to gently clean the Mofi brush and the Record Doctor strips.
    It became much easier to brush the fluid when i put the vacuum strips side to my right hand and control the rotation with the left hand. just rotate the record and keep the brushing action over the supporting strips.
    I clean all new records before play. It has really quieted some old albums that I thought were perfectly clean. Like the portable size as well. Good purchase and highly recommended.

Beachtraveler likes this.
  2. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

I love mine too. Have a clear Deep Purple Machibe Head that allowed me to see the suction in action and yes, it was pretty cool. The time it takes me to thouroughly clean and rinse 5-6 records makes it a perfect stopping point for me (so machine doesn't get overheated). I can't imagine doing more than 10 in a sitting!

3. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I wish I had thought of that. I tossed the original brush, and use an old toothbrush for cleaning the Mofi and strips.

4. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

The brush that came with it has two sides- one bristles (harsh, I agree) and the other velvet. Though small, I did use it successfully to clean some lps with Tergitol. I've decided to repurpose (after a good rinsing) my Vinyl Styl velvet brush to use since its larger and can cover more surface.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

The side with the bristles is not for cleaning the record, it's for cleaning the lips. There's a cap on the other side which will reveal a soft pad for applying the fluid to the record.

But the MOFI brush is still the better choice!

DK Pete and avanti1960 like this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd actually suggest everybody using an RCM built on the Nitty Gritty platform (the "suck-from-the-bottom" method) to start by cleaning clear vinyl. Being able to see the liquid as its removed gives you a good baseline for how many revolutions it takes to remove how much fluid you're putting on. Before I kind of happened across a clear record, I was over-doing it. Which on the turn-it-yourself KAB EV-1 I was using at the time meant less sore wrists during long cleaning sessions, but likely reduces potential for static build up on the Record Doc.

russk and avanti1960 like this.
  7. avanti1960

yeah i just checked and there is another cap on the bush, i did not notice it or in the manual. the manual said to use a toothbrush to clean the strips so i did not figure there was another side to the brush. i wish i would have known that!

Beachtraveler likes this.
  8. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Used my RDV for the first time tonight. I ordered a Mofi brush. Assuming I want to use that for the Tergitol and the brush that came with the RDV for applying distilled water for the rinse pass? I was using the same brush for both for my first two records before I realized that probably wasn't ideal.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Re: the pad meant for applying the liquid..I actually use this to gemtly slide any dust off the record prior to applying the fluid which i spread with a MOFI brush.

One question to all: the black plate which sits on the "box itself", when I lightly press against one end, it almost sounds as if it's coming unglued...does this sound familiar to anyone?

10. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Mine does that too. I wouldn't worry about it

11. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I've been using my Record Doctor for a few month now. It seems to have less suction lately. Have anyone else noticed this?

12. action pact

Depending on how dirty the record is, you might be pushing abrasive grit around the dry surface of the record. A better solution might be to run a dusty LP under the tap for a second.

Maybe the pads are worn and your not getting a good enough seal?

DK Pete likes this.
  13. wownflutter

Hmm, how many LPS you think the pads are good for?

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's a good point but I will tell you that my albums are pretty much in pristine shape so, really, all I'm removing is very light dust.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I actually asked Audio Advisor that very question; the answer was about 50 albums. I interpreted that as 100 album sides. But by suction, do you mean they come up still wet after 3 or so full turns?

16. wownflutter

It doesn't seem to suck the vinyl down to the pad like it used to. Now, quite often I have to keep my thumb on the edge to hold it down. Especially on 180 gram lps.

The vacuum 'sounds' the same as it always did.

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying..have you looked under the vinyl while the vacuum is running to actually see if it's being sucked down onto the pads or are you seeing a space between vinyl and pads? If you *are* seeing any space whatsoever, I'd send an e mail to Audio Advisor and see what they have to say. They were pretty helpful with me when I first got the unit.

18. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Instead of your Record Doctor, the 180's might be the problem. They're more prone to dish warps and less likely to be perfectly flat. If that's the case, they'll vacuum up particularly well on one side and particularly poorly on the other.

Might be something for you to watch out for. ;)

19. wownflutter

Yes, you are absolutely right. But....it still has less suction on regular weight vinyl also.

20. action pact

Ah, that should be fine then!

21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

After using mine for about a year, and being generally very happy, I'd like to share my workflow and welcome your input.

If it's a new disc (to me) that isn't stored in a good sleeve, I use a Zerostat on it first. After, that I rarely have static problems.

I put 4 drops in a radial line on the disc. I use the MoFi brush, and slowly turn it 10 hand-turns (about 3 revolutions). For the first 3, the brush is centered on the grooves, then I slide inward toward the label for the next 3, then slide outward toward the disc edge for 2 more, then back to the grooves for the last two. At the very end, while on the last turn, I turn the brush to the side and lift it. I slide the brush to distribute the drops more evenly across the grooves.

I turn the disc over and use the vacuum for another 10 hand-turns, but more slowly. I turn off the vacuum and wait until it's completely stopped before lifting the disc. I also avoid touching the disc while the vacuum is running to avoid static buildup.

I settled on this method after finding:
    1) static problems when discs are in paper sleeves.
    2) more than 4 drops of fluid leave residual fluid.
    3) less than 10 slow turns w/ the vacuum leave residual fluid and schmutz.

Discs that still sound nasty after the first cleaning are often improved after the 2nd or 3rd cleaning.

Edit: I changed the strips recently because there seemed to be some buildup, but I'm not sure if it was really necessary. Also, my gear is in the basement, so I occasionally run across the strips w/ the household vacuum cleaner to remove any buildup. I also use an old toothbrush when I see schmutz accumulating on the MoFi brush, the strips, and/or the top surface of the machine.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

watch this video at 1:18min

they vacuum the sides, someone here do that?

paulieb00 and DK Pete like this.
  23. avanti1960

They vacuum the edges, never have done that but probably will next time!

paulieb00 and stenway like this.
  24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes it seems a nice tip.

paulieb00 likes this.
  25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

after how many records I need replace the velvet lips?

it would be great if the lips part will pull it and pull out, why? of that way I can switch between lips, dry velvets, wet velvets... one for the 1st step dirty, other for fluids, other for rinse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.