Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

A Netflix series. A half doz. episodes. The discussion on why Atlantic replaced the mastering in the first place. All the endless analysis of cover ink. The deadwax. The Radiology. The value of a stone mint pressing. Interviews by mastering engineers (Steve?, Bob L....)

The final episode would include opening the record to see if it's the real McCoy!

Gavinyl, AndoDoug, Jrr and 7 others like this.
  2. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

It seems to me from the original post OP is trying to avoid selling it as an RL or even a potential RL if it ain't.

dkswaff and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Flashbacks with Morgan Freeman as Ahmet Ertegun and George Clooney as Bob Ludwig. :laugh:

Jonboy, PH416156 and kozy814 like this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

and now he's got himself in a bind, because the overwhelming consensus of this thread is that it's not an RL. the only way he could make his money back is to keep the mystery going...

or maybe he just wants to look at it. which is his right, I suppose. one day somebody's gonna break that seal.

GTOJUDGE likes this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Thing is, worst case scenario he's got a pristine, unplayed 70s pressing of Zep II. Barring any defects, that ain't no small thing. Not that I'm trying to pressure the OP to open it, but I sure as hell would.

6. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

With all the interest here, the OP could start a GoFundMe page for his sealed LZII, with the condition that if he can raise $200, he'll unseal it, film it, and post the video here :thumbsup:

That way he can keep his record (albeit opened), and if it wasn't an RL, he will have collected enough money to buy himself a real nice RL LZII. Everybody wins :edthumbs:

AndoDoug, Jrr, Jonboy and 5 others like this.
  7. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

it IS a sticky widget...

8. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Exactly! :edthumbs:

AndoDoug likes this.
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Join Geraldo Rivera as he unseals a vintage Led Zeppelin II album. What will be inside?

I'm having flashbacks to Al Capone's vault.

10. ROADMAPS!!!!___Wierd Al

3Dman likes this.
  11. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Don't let Geraldo open it! It'll be an Abba record inside!

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This post plus your avatar

[​IMG]

mrgroove01 and LitHum05 like this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

As long as its "Abba" by the Paragons you'll be ok

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I would have opened it the minute I got it home. But that's just me.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OP paid $70 for the album. That's not exactly the same as investing 100 grand on a collectible car.

Plus I don't think the hood is usually sealed on those cars. Always good to know what you're actually paying for.

16. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!
    open it and crank the hell out of it:goodie:

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:D

[​IMG]

Gavinyl, kozy814 and dkmonroe like this.
  18. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Why did Atlantic recall the cutting in the first place?......isn't there a master tape in existence anywhere now?

19. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Because needles were flying off the turntables!

20. If Page ever decides to do a Tull style reissue package for the Zep catalog, he should definitely include a hi res needle drop RL cut for Zep 2. I got my copy about 6 months ago and it lives up to the hype.

21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Or he got one of a giant batch that had a pressing defect so they drilled holes through them and this one got into the wild somehow.

We are reasonably sure it's not an RL, and we are reasonably sure this record never went into the cut out bins. So the fact that someone drilled a whole in the sleeve is not a good sign.

22. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I'm not sure about the master tape, but I wonder if anyone knows the whereabouts of the original master RL lacquer.

Wouldn't it be funny if Atlantic accidentally sealed the original RL lacquer into an ordinary LZ II jacket, where it eventually blended in amongst a few thousand other LZ II re-presses? And that it still might be sitting there in someone's sealed LZ II jacket? ;)

23. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I bought this scratch off for $2, there is a chance it might be worth $10,000. Who wants to give me $200 for it. If I scratch off the cherries then it might not be worth anything.

24. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Worried about the RL busting the stylus on your Crosley? :ignore: Otherwise, I command you to crank it! Enough, we're on pg. 14 already.

Gavinyl and Lownote30 like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Maybe a former owner was a dentist?

Daven23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.