Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I am currently looking at vinyl versions as I want a 'proper' version. I only have the 2013 EU CD with bonus tracks so far.

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I am not sure what you mean by proper version. Is that original pressing or simply a straight repressing with only the original tracklist?

3. Phillip Walch

Sorry I mean original track listing. Although I like extra tracks it is not usually how I like to approach an album for the first time or one I don't know inside out. So I currently am not playing those tracks that are extras. I know I know it is just hitting stop but I like an album to come to its natural finish. I don't especially mind originals or repress as long as they sound good.

4. Phillip Walch

5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

OK as far as I know all vinyl repressings have been original tracklist.

6. Phillip Walch

Cool, thank you. I will likely look at the French route as it is affordable and choices are aplenty right now.

Mr Bass likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

8. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Agree! It is a great demonstration of Duke's piano (as is the other you cite). I used to play this for friends and ask them to guess the pianist. They never got it. (Back then, this was a rare record).

To learn about this session and the story, read pages 242 to 244 of Duke Ellington's memoir titled "Music is My Mistress"

DTK and Phillip Walch like this.
  10. Phillip Walch

11. Lonson

Now playing Hank Mobley, "The Flip" (Jazz in Paris version released this month). Seems to match the mastering of the Connoisseur edition released by Blue Note in 2003; this edition has a production credit of 2003 for Blue Note Records, though it does say "Mastering coordinated by Francois de Xuan". . . .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    BKphoto and miklew like this.
  12. Phillip Walch

Hank Mobley was one of my Dad's go to artists so I always knew him as a kid but only recently have I started listening again. I love the Blue Note 50's Sessions.

13. Lonson

Yes indeed, a wonderful artist. He was subtler than many tenor saxophonists with rhythmic interplay and melodic invention that doesn't smack you upside the head, but seeps in under your immediate attention.

My Dad was a swing and classical music nut (still is, especially the classical. . . ) so I didn't encounter Hank at home but rather through following Miles Davis from the electric albums that were being released as I was a teen back to earlier works. In fact it was Hank and Wynton Kelly who led me to Blue Note and thus a lot of hardtop and adventurous post-bop, and Miles also led me back to Pops and Duke, due to his reverent comments. . . . Miles led me deep into jazz, and Hank was one of the first artists I followed after Miles. . . .

SteelyTom and Phillip Walch like this.
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Originally released as 'Randy!' on Bakton BRS 1001 in 1966 & reissued with a new title & cover as Atlantic SD 1609 in 1972. Weston (p & celesta), Ray Copland (tp), Booker Ervin (ts), Vishnu Wood (b), Lenny McBrowne (d), Big Black (conga & vocal) & Sir Harold Murray (percussion). Arranged by Copland. Produced by Weston. Recorded at Nola Penthouse Sound Studios, NYC, 10/64. Engineer: Tommy Nola. Remix engineer: Ray Hall. 1972 reissue produced by Michael Cuscuna. Collectables CD from 2006.

15. Lonson

16. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Joe Lovano- Trio Fascination ( Blue Note 1998: edition one)

Joe- Tenor, Soprano, Straight Alto Sax's & Alto Clarinet/ Dave Holland- Bass/ Elvin Jones- Drums.

jeffsjazz and markp like this.
  17. [​IMG]

I usually play Ptah, The El Daoud when I need to hear some Alice Coltrane but this is just as good, though with the imtensity lowered a notch (no Joe Henderson duelling with Pharoah this time around). Trying out the 1997 vinyl re-issue I picked up recently. I see Alice Coltrane original vinyl about as often as I eat peanut butter...never.

jay.dee, alamo54us, sberger and 6 others like this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Would that be less often than you eat broccoli?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Six String likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hells yeah! I picked this one up back when it first came out when I was a freshman in college and I've always been absolutely crazy about the title track. Pali Gap and Midnight were my other favs from here. Back then I was a little disappointed with the version of Little Wing that's on here, but now I appreciate hearing the different take on it.

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Trying to get a little late night work in and didn't feel like getting the usual listening gear set up, so doing a streamed session tonight using my phone, which is nice because it is allowing to continue my Miles tour with an item that I do not have in my physical collection.

Miles Sess 4 - Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

[​IMG]

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Jazz: Had some Miles on myself yesterday, Seven Steps to Heaven.

Conversation: Recently read that Paul Chambers and Wynton Kelly both died in the late 60s, along with Coltrane of course. How shocking and sad is it that half of the sextet that made Kind of Blue would be gone about a decade later?

22. Considerably less.

BKphoto likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have the Milestone 47002 twofer The Village Vanguard Sessions. Is there a better way to own/hear that material on vinyl?

24. Lonson

djost, BKphoto, jeffsjazz and 8 others like this.
  25. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

charlesp and Lonson like this.