Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

At this point, might as well put it on ebay and see what happens.

Daven23 likes this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:unhunh: nope; a radiologist

Damien DiAngelo and ruben lopez like this.
  3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Bogan." I've learned a new word from this thread. :thumbsup:

Jrr, E.Baba, sbsugar and 2 others like this.
  4. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

The difference is the odds were high your Sgt Pepper isn't an RL.

JimSpark likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Looks like a smooth cover, if so, my guess is no way!

6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Is the RL safe?

kouzie likes this.
  7. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Maybe someone drilled a hole in it to find out if the sleeve had advertisements on it. If this album was never a cutout does that make it worth more. Just throw it on eBay with a large price tag and see what happens. If I thought an album might be worth $900 I would not open it and just listen to the best possible CD or LP version I could find at a reasonable price.

8. This! Punch a nice clean hole out of it and check the paper knockout...

9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

So the story goes(to the best of my knowledge), Robert Ludwig cut this record as hot as he possible could. Apparently Ahmet Ertegun's daughter had a copy of the RL cutting and tried to play the record on a cheap Woolworth record player and the tone arm popped out of the groove because of the heavy groove cuttings from the bass modulation in the pressing. He apparently freaked out and immediately issued a hold to the pressing houses so that the record could be recut. He was afraid of having to return thousands of records because they could be potentially perceived to be defective.

One has to remember that most record players in peoples homes at that time were of the inexpensive variety. There were no VPI's back then and audiophile gear was extremely expensive for most music enthusiasts.

There is a video floating around out there that has an interview with Bob Ludwig regarding this very subject. Try looking on Youtube.

Guss2 likes this.
  10. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Didn't know that you were King of Enough.

11. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Corner clips, cut outs, punches in the jacket means they were tagged as an inventory clear out by the manufacturer. Sometimes they came from the plant with a large neat hole already punched or if the record store was directed to by the manufacturer, the store would pierce or punch their own hole. It doesn't mean the album is defective. This sort of thing usually happened a few months following the initial release. As to devaluing an LP, it very much depends on the record.

dkswaff, GTOJUDGE and mrgroove01 like this.
  12. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Warpage should be the real concern :sigh:

13. ^^ Is it possible then that the Ludwig-cut LPs would have been cleared out from the plant once Ertegun ordered the new cut? (So that they wouldn't have return problems with sold as-is items) Just asking, as always...

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sorry if I missed this but the cutout hole on the OP's record goes through the shrink wrap, correct?

15. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

we should just talk about this for a 100 pages. I have no clue why the OP wouldn't open it. It's not that valuable of a record.

LitHum05 likes this.
  16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Man, spring can't get here soon enough. 15 pages and counting for a sealed cut out of LZII. :laugh:

17. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

If he finds out its a double side RL without opening it however he accomplishes that, then what is going to do with it then?

18. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Dated a woman once who had a sealed hood. I stay away from those women now...

ti-triodes likes this.
  19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Since the OP is unlikely to re-sell this it should definitely be opened and played.

20. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Hey-yo!!! ^

21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yeah I've never understood keeping things sealed - unless they're something you plan on selling. The OP says he's not selling (iirc) so I don't get it.

chacha likes this.
  22. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the pics. The brown color is the darker tone that is on the smooth cover. Very unlikely to be an RL.

23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Anyone know the story of the one sided RL ? I can't remember who cut side two off the top of my head but I don't think that cut appeared
    anywhere else. weird. I have one of these as well as a true RL and they are both in a thicker lighter brown matte jacket with the record add sleeve.
    Side two on the one sided RL sounds really good from memory but was a bit quieter.

24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Here's Bob Ludwig, the masterer on his own words on II. Very cool! He was young when he did this, not sure on age. He still has the original test pressing for II, lucky dog!

25. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Maybe the hole was caused by erosion :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.