Dumbest things ever overheard at a record store!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Does my kitchen floor count?

2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Heh. That would probably make more sense.

Ash76, JDeanB, hominy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You can't fool me...England Dan is a twelve piece orchestra!

4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Not record store but when I worked in the library: "Do you have that one song on a CD, not sure what it's called, but it goes 'Doo duh doo doo doh' and I think it has 'Love' in the title?"

musicfan37, Ash76, Folknik and 4 others like this.
  5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A friend who worked at Tower Records once told me he had a guy there asking for "Everyone's Mad At Me" by "John Boy"

Turns out he wanted Everybody's Talking At Me by "John Voight!"

He was still skeptical when he was handed a Harry Nilsson CD.

6. I remember overhearing someone whose cut-off point with The Beach Boys was supposedly after Brian Wilson died... Naturally, I managed to briefly silence them by loudly asking one of the assistants if they had Brian's latest album in (which just so happened to be Pet Sounds Live, I fondly recall)!

joshm2286, Ash76, Twinsfan007 and 7 others like this.
  7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

If you're in a record store and (i) there's a girl there - say a silent prayer of thanks; and (ii) if the girl starts talking to you, it really doesn't what she says, just be grateful.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I hear this all the time! I am known at work as some kind of an expert on oldies music, so people are always coming to me with this exact type of question. Like, how am I supposed to read your mind? And, they always get the title wrong.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    joshm2286, Folknik and Benno123 like this.
  9. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

We used to get it for books, too. "I am not sure what the book is called but my friend said I would love it. I know it's a fiction book."

10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Lots of women in record stores these days in my experience. May depend on the area, but here in Portland, it's hardly a rarity, and that was the case in the Bay Area as well. Just got back from visiting the UK and the shops I visited in London and Edinburgh were much the same.

eric777 likes this.
  11. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

"Do you have Morris Albert?"
    Swear to God.

12. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I see plenty of ladies in my local store, but most of them are just there for the DVDs.

13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It's not a record store story, but it kind of fits the theme of dumb music comments.

My brother-in-law followed Neil Young for many years. His birthday was coming up, and I thought he may like the new Neil Young album that had recently come out to good reviews (and I had enjoyed the copy I bought for myself). So it would be a surprise, I phoned his wife to see if he already had it.

Me: "Would Peter like the new Neil Young album for his birthday?"
    My sister-in-law, ignoring the concept of giving him a birthday surprise, yells out: "Hey Peter, do you want the new Neil Diamond for your birthday?"​

She didn't understand why he didn't sound very excited about Neil Diamond (who he didn't follow). I ended up buying the Young album for his birthday, which he enjoyed. She struggled to understand the difference between the two Neils when I explained.

Rad Dudeski, Ash76, izgoblin and 10 others like this.
  14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Female customers are the exception not the rule around here. This week there was one woman in the store when I was there, a bored girlfriend of one of the guys searching through the racks. Last week was more typical - all the customers were guys. Occasionally, there will be a couple of high-school or college aged girls there shopping together. Normally it seems like the customer base is skewed 90% + men.

Ash76, ibekeen and DTK like this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . and that dude Steffenwoof, and that other dude Led Zefflin.

joshm2286 and mahanusafa02 like this.
  16. Carl Swanson

Not that bad.

BTW, what is "grade 13"?

17. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The 'kissing disease'.

Ash76, Farmer Mike, Folknik and 2 others like this.
  18. Carl Swanson

. . . and?

19. Carl Swanson

"Come with me, and I'll show you."

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Once upon a time ago, high school in Ontario was five grades, 9 -13. It was the only jurisdiction in North America where high school wasn't four years. (When I was in high school you could graduate with a two year certificate, or a four year diploma, or a five year diploma - depending upon your plans after graduation. Grade 13 was the more academic oriented programme, geared for people headed to university.) Several years ago the government eliminated Grade 13. (They also eliminated the two year certificate and the option to 'quit' school. By law now everyone is legally forced to go to high school for four years or until you're 18.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  21. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

Whens the new duran duran record coming out, I loved his last one!!

22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

It used to be an Ontario thing. I'll let Wikipedia do the 'splaining:
    The Ontario education system had five years of secondary education, the fifth year known as "grade 13" from 1921 to 1988. Then grade 13 was replaced in 1984 by the OAC for students starting high school (grade 9). The OAC continued to act as a fifth year of secondary education until it was phased out in 2003.

23. Carl Swanson

"Aw, man, sorry dude, that's on backorder right now."

wrappedinsky and Folknik like this.
  24. Carl Swanson

Thanks. Never heard of it before.

25. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

A younger hipster was asked what he thought of a an album playing, he said "okay, but I prefer the sound of vinyl". What he did not realize was that he was actually hearing one but on a nicer system and clean without accumulated pops and scratches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.