Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Was it Lee Hulko (LH) that cut the other side? I may be confusing him with another album.

kozy814 likes this.
  2. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I need to get an RL......

So 15 pages and the OP has not opened it? ??

3. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I went to the basement and dug out five LZ II.. four are RL's and one is not.. they are all the lighter shade but the one that is not has the gold record sticker on it.... the non RL has no inner sleeve.. two RLs have white inner sleeves one of which is really really new.. two RLs have an Atlantic Records inner sleeve with the same record pictures on it SD8149 on top right corner on one side/ SD1500 on another... if one had a little hole to see through and one new the inner sleeve i'm talking about one might be able to determine if it had the correct inner sleeve but i am not sure that would be a guarantee of anything..

chacha and David P. Hill like this.
  4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Are all of your RL's that you own, on both sides of the lps, do they have RL on both sides of each lp in the deadwax?

5. hutchenstance

yes they all have the RL on both sides

David P. Hill likes this.
  6. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

This certainly ranks as one of the most informative & entertaining threads I've ever seen.

There's also been enough to remind me of this:

I'm looking forward to another 10 pages before the OP has a nervous breakdown & opens it up. :-popcorn:

7. David P. Hill

I have been looking for about 2 yrs now, pretty high too! What's a good price for a near mint, lp and cover?

8. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I have a one-sided RL but it's German, not American.
    The non RL side sounds awful compared to the RL side and to my Australian pressing (and to my double RL)

9. hutchenstance

well I got to be honest.. I would not know... I found mine digging around in stores where people didn't really bother checking matrices and looking for "RL"..so I don't really know.. only one of mine is in great shape.. the other 3 vary between VG- and VG+... but I paid $1 for my best one about 10 years ago.. and the others I paid $1 or $3........ the $3 I got in 2015.. so they're out there

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Thats it. I just put it on. Not bad at all.

11. I don't get this. Please see post #294, p. 12, with the pix of an RL. I used to have one like that too. Can't get any darker than this...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

That's besides the point that was being made which was whether it was "false pretenses" or not to advertise it as a potential RL. As no one can say with absolute certainty what's inside the record / unless it's opened, I believe that there would be no false pretenses involved in advertising it as such. Of course it's up to the OP as to what he will do with it but again, that's besides the point

13. David P. Hill

Wow, nice find on the $1 one, unbelievable! Been to several record shows and indie stores around Austin, DFW area, and ebay mostly. Yes they are out there, but the news about it, spreaded like wildfire, causing the price to inflate. Would I have to pay more than a $100 for a near mint one, that is on ebay?

14. hutchenstance

its possible a cover got switched.. the RLs I have are all in the lighter , heavy stock non glossy gatefolds..

Ash76, GTOJUDGE and ParloFax like this.
  15. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Yes, a "near mint" one on Epay would be easily over a hundred bucks.
    Best to find a decent one in the wild, hidden in the bushes, unknown by the seller about what an RL is.
    Or get lucky in the forum classifieds.

David P. Hill likes this.
  16. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

yeah can't you get a bright light and a magnifiying glass and look in a bit to see if the correct inner is there at least. that would tell you whether it's not an RL anyway.

jamesmaya likes this.
  17. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Kevin j said:
    but what is the allure of the RL cut of this album? the SOUND!! that's it. I think you're afraid to open it now because you're pretty sure it's not an RL, and you think that you can sell it to someone else under the false pretense that it "may be an RL".

It SEEMED OP was being called out for an intent of false pretenses. This particular post did not seem to quibble on that point. Unless OP wants to be coy and "doth protest too much"-"gee, it is POSSIBLE it could be an RL"-and I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that such is not the case-then, as I said I think he at least looked like he was avoiding the "fp" scenario.

18. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I think the problem lies with the use of "dark" as a descriptor. That dark in post 294 is the "chocolate brown" which is the original matte cover and is the cover that all RL's will have. Of course, given the heavy cardboard and how the LP has been stored for more than 45 years, these can show up as a nice dark hue as in that photo or be totally worn and washed out down to a light brown.

However, the later glossy cover which some are calling the "darker" one is really a different hue, not necessarily darker. Most copies show as a deep maroon to my eyes more than a dark brown. The OP's copy is clearly of this hue and thus almost certain to not be an RL pressing.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How will the lp be admitted?

Name: Hatchet, Molly

MR #: 666

Dx: IGD, rule out possible scratch to "Flirting With Disaster"

;)

20. Samson7

Samson7 Forum Resident

This is probably a dumb question and off topic, but, why don't they do a vinyl reissue of the RL LZII. He is still alive. It seems like it would be easy money. I don't really like LZ anymore but I would buy it.

Paully likes this.
  21. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

For near mint at least double that on eBay unless you get lucky

22. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Probably 4-5 times that, and a true near mint one is a bit of a needle in a haystack. I'd be searching out a VG+ copy, as that's a bit more realistic.

Paully likes this.
  23. Do it! You won't regret it.

24. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

$500 - $1,200+ depending on your luck. RL LZII's in excellent to mint condition are extremely hard to find due to the fact just about everyone who originally bought the album played and thrashed it to death and it was really years before many collectors caught on to the rarity and uniqueness of that first issue. You can find mediocre to decent, well played copies easily enough for under a couple hundred bucks but the trade-off for *that* sound vs all the surface noise a well worn copy will give you is imo, not really worth the cash outlay such copies go for.

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I seem to remember there were two versions of the RL available. One with a wider trail off wax than the other.

Slick Willie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.