The "Beatles For Sale" album (1964). Unfairly ignored or underrated ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

To me Eight Days A Week is a much weaker track than Mr Moonlight. Len-Mac songwriting by the numbers. And the mix (both mono and stereo) didn't help much. Muddy drums overpovered by handclaps.

2. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I am about to get a mint- 1973 (Fifth Pressing) Stereo Parlophone from a reputable source. Can anyone confirm that this pressing is also tube cut as is the 1964 pressing our host refers to? Or did I just waste my money? Thanks in advance.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If it is a dash one, you're in. If not, might still sound OK, but not a tube cut.

Good rule of thumb (whatever that means) is if you're buying old Parlophone Beatles albums, make sure the label has some yellow on it, or pass..

4. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

What does "dash one" mean? I still have my Parlophone LP that I bought probably in '72 or -3. This one has no yellow on the label - it's just black, white, and silver.

5. Steve Hoffman

Go to the deadwax, look at the matrix number on both sides, copy them here. I'll wait.

6. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Thanks Steve! The Matrix is
    • Matrix Number yex-142-4
    I guess I'm out of luck :-(

7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Note to Gorts:

Can we please have some sort of rule going forward that the words "Beatles" and "ignored" or "underrated" can not be used together in the same thread title?

Thanks.

8. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I have it right here:

Side 1: YEX 142-1 (although it looks like the "2" was overstamped with a "3" or vice-versa.) There's also "PP" and the numeral 4 stamped there.

Side 2: YEX 143-1. There's also "PG" and "108" (I think).

What do these magical mystery codes say to you?

9. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

+1, a cracker of a song, gorgeous in stereo, great nostalgic "Mersey" sound

xilef regnu and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

You're in.

11. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

It may not be tube cut, but at least its AAA :)

McLover likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

What's the dash on the other side?

13. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

Every little thing is one of my favorite Beatles songs, got it on cd when I was 14 and fell in love with it.

14. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Don't have the record yet. Arriving Wednesday. The matrix info I got from the description on the seller's website. Very well known and top rated seller.

• Matrix Number yex-142-4
    • Made in U.K.
    • Jacket is M - -
    • Stereo Copy
    • Rare Emitex Gatefold Cover

15. Steve Hoffman

I doubt that is right. A gatefold cover from the middle 1970s? Sounds to me like an earlier cover with a later record. Better check, pal!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe just to impress people how cool John is singing the intro there.^^

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It's not a myth that they look bored and unenthused on the cover. It may not reflect what their mood was overall, but it it a strikingly dour image.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Beatles For Sale is a fantastic LP. Nothing on it annoys me. And the album artwork is awesome, it's the Fabs' Autumn Album!^^

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

OK, fine. You recognize that your young age may bias you in favor of the covers, since you hadn't heard the originals yet. I wasn't 14 in 1964, so perhaps I have a more "objective" viewpoint on the matter. I have no emotional involvement with the band whatsoever, and I view them solely on a musical basis, not an emotional one. Though the Beatles were, of course, capable of improving on others' material, and often did, I imagine a lot of people would strongly disagree that their versions of the songs on "For Sale" are "better" than the originals. There is nothing "revisionist" about this viewpoint. The Beatles are not a Memphis rockabilly band -- they cannot do songs like "Honey Don't" with the same grit and bite of the original, and they would be the first to tell you that. But you're welcome to think otherwise. I, too, have some unpopular opinions when it comes to original versions vs. cover versions by later artists. I don't automatically choose the original. Case in point: the Stones' "She Said Yeah" being far superior to Larry Williams' original.

They were coming off an album that was 100% strong originals. So, in my opinion, any album with any amount of covers was going to be something of a let down after that.

20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

I've never gotten a clear answer or understaning of who wrote this song.

I love the tune, all the originals on the album actually. But this is as close to an obscure track as you'll ever find for the Beatles. Rarely mentioned, played or written about. Not an incredible song, but a good one. Kind of progressive for 64, the chorus.. it sounds kind of like a Lennon verse to me, with a McCartney chorus, but I'm just guessing.

21. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

If i do a top 6 of Beatles albums 62-65, this album lost just for With The Beatles, really nice and relaxing album!

22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Inside have a interesting sneek peak for Sgt Pepper's cover.
    [​IMG]

Seltarb, RockyRoll and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

All UK copies of Beatles for Sale have the gatefold sleeve.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

More Revolver than Pepper

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Even though we've had numerous threads just like this one already, I'll bite.
    No it's not underrated. Or overrated.

I've always felt that it drags from Baby's In Black through Rock And Roll Music. I don't know why! I think " R&R Music" is too long. I never disliked Mr Moonlight either. Although I have a tendency to sing "Here I am on my NOSE/Begging if you please" like John sings on the Star Club album.......

The album in general seems more diffuse than the 3 preceding albums. Not as exuberant and focused. They were getting tired! You can see it on the cover photo.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.