What is the easiest way to digitize my records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

The context of that comment was regarding whether or not to dither when going from 24 bits to 16 bits. When you change the sample rate asynchronously, such as 96k to 44.1k in this example, all of the samples must be computed at the new clock rate. If you are doing the resampling at just 16 bit resolution, then sure, it doesn't matter, the resulting precision below the 16 bit level is lost. But if you want the highest precision, the calculations should be performed with higher resolution (like 24 bits) since those lower bits will hold the high precision values resulting from the calculations, and then some of that extra precision can be captured in the final 16-bit version by using dither, which is a type of digital noise added to the signal to allow the bits just below the 16-bit level to have some effect on that least significant bit and increase the precision of the 16-bit samples, as opposed to just chopping the extra bits off.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I've had the impression that it's safer to downsample from 88.2 to 44.1 (or 96 to 48) because it's an even divider (compared to, say, 96->44.1), to minimize aliasing artifacts.
    Then again, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to spot the supposed artifacts anyway - at least when the conversion is done with decent software or DSP.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Ah, OK, makes sense.

4. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I have a program called Spin It Again. It's sorta hokey in an amature-ist sort of way but it has worked well for me and it will automatically split the tracks for you; though it works better on albums with longer spacing between tracks. But you can still tweak the beginning and end points manually too.

5. Descartridge

Descartridge Forum Resident

Where does one obtain CDRW MUSIC cds please?

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

This thread, started a week ago: Blank CDs for stand alone recorders

I've not found much need for CD-RW in general - by the time you'd want to erase it, the disc is scratched up. There are fewer players that can accurately read the rewrite-able discs - the format is even less reflective than CD-R. Going from a CD Music recorder to a CD rip on your computer might be one useful application, but it's still going to take twice as long as simply recording on your computer.

7. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I had to order them online - couldn't find them anywhere in the stores. You can get one (all you really need) for $10 or a box of 10 for $20. I got the box of 10 since I'll dub more than one lp at a time.

TDK 47912 CD-RW 80min Music 1X-4X Slim Jewelcase

8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

That is the only time I use Music CDRWs.

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

My experience with CD-RWs is that although they are supposed to be able to be erased and reused, I found them unreliable (often I'd have issue when reburning an erased CD to where it would not work). The low-cost of CD-Rs (each is about 1/5th of a cost of a CD-RW) made the extra cost of CD-RWs not worth the issues I've had with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.