Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I haven't read the whole thread but IMO this is not an RL. I have owned 9 or 10 of them and none of them came in the darker brown cover. I'm pretty sure that no early pressings had that track list on the shrink but I can't be sure. Even if he got to see the inner it would not matter. I have RL's that came in plain white inners. I can understand the OP's excitement and all but I'm pretty sure that store owner had a good idea of what he had.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Licensing costs and other possible Page related stupidity/historical revisionism/control freak issues would make this highly unlikely to occur. HOWEVER, if this were to ever be released (perhaps even as one of those mega-fancy Electric Recording Company replica reissues) it would be one of the greatest feeding-frenzy level reissue sensations of all-time. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Yes, at least back when side 2 was first recut for the original release.

4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Yes you are correct on a narrower trail one, on side 2 I think. I will do a search on here

5. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

[​IMG]

Jrr and BGLeduc like this.
  6. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Yep, the A lacquer had a narrower runout on Side 2. There are a few variations out there depending on the lacquer for each side, and then there are some with "RL" only and no "Ss" (this is before Sterling Sound used the stamp).

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Robert Ludwig hasn't cut vinyl in a long time and is a vinyl detractor these days.

8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The mothers and stampers were probably destroyed soon after they were replaced or otherwise long gone by now. I would guess someone would have to go back to the original multi-tracks and try to match the EQ all over again, but the fact the tapes (if even the multis still exist in any usable condition) are nearly half a century old, I think it would be almost certain that it's impossible to get the kind of analog-ish fidelity now people want to hear without doing the same thing Page and Co did digitally for the last remasters campaign which kinda defeats the purpose. And yeah, all that would first require Jimmy admitting he didn't hit the ball outta the park on his last try.

marcb likes this.
  9. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

Those photos (especially the first one) are underexposed.

10. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

11. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Care to send me one of those RL's...It would have a good home.

jamesmaya likes this.
  12. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Man, this thread has everything - drama, suspense, sex, medical terminology... I'm loving it! :D

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This is how I imagine the OP right about now

[​IMG]

hutchenstance likes this.
  14. giantleech

I recall reading a thread here not long ago that offered speculation that the original "metal parts" might still exist (warehoused in some sort of archive) and that a repressing would be theoretically possible. Interesting to think about, even though such a reissue is not ever likely to see the light of day.

15. giantleech

Yes, minty RL LZ II and Classic 45 rpm "Road Case" set are the absolute tippy-top of my phonographic record album want list.

16. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Haven't read whole thread...but the OP stated he can't tell if cover is textured or not? In the picture on page 1, there is an air hole in the shrink on the back cover - should be easy to tell from that

17. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

we've told him.. he doesn't want to accept the truth.....he's going to have a friend illegally use some fancy x-ray/mri machine on the job to read the deadwax markings...at least that seems to be the favored approach

Engineer X likes this.
  18. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry. Working on it.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

$250 and higher. Although I dont believe youll find a true NM RL Zep 2.

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Right. But if the shrink is actually covering the drill hole (hard to tell for sure from the photo), well then, you've got a different animal on your hands.

21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I am glad I found a RL for 5 bucks. I most certainly would never buy a supposed sealed version. Based on the cover alone, as others have repeatedly mentioned, it's not likely to be a RL.

I am still baffled by the refusal to open it. This ain't a sealed first pressing of the White Album.

22. dkswaff

Illegal??? If they own the clinic how would this be illegal? Even if they didn't own it, how on earth would this be illegal? Are X-Ray machines or MRI equipment on the banned list? Was Mark McGwire secretly getting X-Ray'd during his magical HR season? Or is this just another evidence of you talking out of your....

showtaper, daveidmarx and bootbox like this.
  23. dkswaff

Why would this matter? If it's truly "about the music" shouldn't it be set free?

24. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Who said anything "about the music?"

As others have told you, you can only identify a RL via deadwax. See the post where someone mentions their multiple copies. I have seen three copies and own one. The cover is different.

That, of course, would not be the case with the White Album.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

They wouldn't go back the multitracks. That would be a re-mix and a re-mix would likely sound nothing like the LZ2 we know and love.

But even if you had Ludwig's mastering notes - and the original master was still in pristine condition (and rumors are that it is not) - you still would be using entirely different equipment almost 50 yrs later. It would sound sort of similar (maybe even better...not likely, but who knows?), but not the same. Look at the Beatles mono LPs...similar, but not the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.