'Bad' movies with 'Good' endings...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lightworker, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ever watch a movie that you actively disliked...only to be surprised by
    how well it came together or delivered an effective twist at the end?

I'll start by nominating The Coen Brothers' first effort Blood Simple.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The Last American Virgin. The only reason I watched what looked to be a 3rd rate Porky's clone was that I was trapped in Grandview, MO and had seen everything at the local theater. So I watched it, and the first three quarters were exactly as mediocre as expected, then it turned entirely different.

3. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Funny, I love all of Blood Simple. I think it's an amazing film. Something I aspire to.

What about the film did you actively dislike?

Lightworker likes this.
  4. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The last "Final Destination" movie where it turns out that the whole thing was a prequel to the first movie. It was awful (and I usually find the series enjoyably bad) but that was a cool twist.

5. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Loved Evil Dead but the sequel bored me from the get go. No atmosphere, no build up, just battering the audience with noisy slapstick. And while endings that just set up the next chapter are generally aggravating, this one was perfectly executed.

6. The Wailing (2016) ... I just couldnt stand the first half of the movie. Maybe because I had to follow the subtitles and dont quite get Korean culture. When the devil and the characters get introduced to the story things got really good real fast. I ended up being one of the best horror films I've ever watched.

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's not quite the absolute end, but very late in Soldier in the Rain (1963) there's a very effective scene involving furniture and someone's office. Relatively low-key too, a surpise from director Ralph "I never learned the word 'subtle'" Nelson.

8. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Funny enough, I was think about this as well when I made the other thread. I even thought about creating it as a separate one. Trouble is, I struggle to think of an answers to the question.

9. demon and shaman characters, I meant

10. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Sleepaway Camp. Horrible movie with an absolutely great ending that you just don't see coming.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd argue "SC" was a horrible movie with a horrible ending that I did see coming!

12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's primary thesis: "All Texans are idiots".

13. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

That's wild. Never once did that come to mind when I watched it.

14. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Terrific example. That last Act hits another level of seriousness - and even darkness - that the rest of the movie doesn't even begin to approach.

driverdrummer and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.