Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I only have the 87 US Jazz Heritage. it is a bit noisy, it is not in great shape to be honest.

2. Phillip Walch

That is great news! New recordings to me so very exciting. I doubt the vinyl will be available where I am but CD will do fine.

Lonson likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, the CDs will be fine. . .can't wait.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was in 1959 that Charlie Rouse started working regularly with Monk, though they had played together (and were recorded live) earlier

5. Phillip Walch

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I have an US 1986 repress of Money Jungle with bonus tracks. Sounds fine to me. No alternate takes, just tracks that weren't released on the original LP.

Mr Bass likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

OK thanks for the info. I didn't realize one was issued so late. Was a CD issued at the same time with bonus tracks? It may have been copied from those?

DTK likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not for me. I want the vinyl. Fred Thomas of Sam Records is doing it, and his stuff is all quality. I will find and buy the box

djost and charlesp like this.
  9. Lonson

And interestingly Wilen had recorded a batch of Monk tunes in '57, so he was a great choice and I'm eager to hear him in this quintet setting.

10. Phillip Walch

I want the vinyl too believe me but I am in Hamburg, Germany and doubt very much it will find its way here on RSD. If it does then I will nab one too :)

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The cd was issued the year after, with the addition of alternate takes..

12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Brad Shepik and the Commuters – The Loan (Songlines)

[​IMG]

Personnel: Brad Shepik, electric guitar, acoustic, guitar, electric sax, Portuguese guitar, banjo, cumbus; Peter Epstein, alto and soprano sax; Tony Scherr, electric bass; Kenny Wollesen, drums, timpani; Seido Salifoski, dumbek, percussion
    — Jazz informed by the folk music of the Balkans, Turkey, North Africa and the Arab world. Nice session.

jay.dee, lschwart and dzhason like this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Onine baby, online. The hunt is where it's at.

14. Phillip Walch

Yeah but prices will inflate online and also then the import duty which is high from the US, it all adds up to a very expensive record. I am content with a CD if the box doesn't fall in my lap. I hope you get one. Good luck :)

David Ellis likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I only have this on CD, and somehow I had misplaced the CD for I dunno how long, but a long time....I had the CD case, but it was empty. Last weekend, in the desperate search for some old computer files from a decade ago, I came across the disc amid a container of old rewritable data discs. Hooray! Maybe Abrams' best album.... with the big band (18 pieces!), in some ways it's also Abrams at his most Ellingtonian (the reed section ballad tone), and most Dukas-esque? Part of "Hearinga" reminds me of Dukas' "Sorcerer's Apprentice."

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agreed. But stuff like this is where I splurge. Music first, but I love Monk, and this will be a nice set I'm sure.
    That said, I'm surprised that they're only doing a RSD release. Monk ain't some obscurity. You would think this is an item that would sell in more then limited numbers.

JeffMo and Phillip Walch like this.
  17. Phillip Walch

Agreed, it is worth a proper retail release imo. At least the CD comes after, that is at least something for the rest of us that miss out. I hate the whole limited nonsense.

JeffMo likes this.
  18. Lonson

(This is the original cover, I'm listening to the Jazz in Paris version released this month).

Great stuff!

[​IMG]

Bass – Michel Gaudry
    Bugle – Bernard Vitet
    Drums – Daniel Humair
    Liner Notes – Pierre "Le Chiffre" Noblet*
    Photography By – Jean-Pierre Leloir
    Piano – Georges Arvanitas
    Tenor Saxophone – François Jeanneau

Soulpope, Phillip Walch and smilin ed like this.
  19. Phillip Walch

This is listed on the German RSD list so fingers crossed!

Lonson likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The "new" Monk album features no new tunes, but still, prime period, and interesting that Barney Wilen is on it.

21. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Listening to George Benson CTI jewel "Bad Benson" (1974). CD remastered (2001). I had that album on vinyl in the last seventies. I bought that cd today.

ultron9, jeffsjazz, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  22. Lonson

Wilen was an interesting and good choice. He was a prodigy sensation at the time, was a veteran of soundtracks as he had done that Miles Davis soundtrack, and he had done a handful of Monk tunes, quite successfully, on his album of '57.

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers: At The Jazz Corner V1. Toshiba EMI Japan.

[​IMG]

24. Lonson

Listening to my old LP. . .the "Lonely Fire" side. Just enough age and surface noise to make me know it's my old LP but sounds SO good. So much better than the cds.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, BKphoto, miklew and 7 others like this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Forgot to post the album cover:

[​IMG]

miklew, charlesp and vanhooserd like this.