Do you regard "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird" as real Beatles songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Y'know, the ex-Beatles' own argument was always that if any one of them wasn't in it, there could not be a Beatles reunion, or it can't be called the Beatles -- hence the use of the Lennon demos.

Which makes a lot of sense. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr were the Beatles. End of story.

And then I remember...
    [​IMG]

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

THIS question again? Is it Monday already?

bob60 likes this.
  3. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Actually no. It's not me that you disagree with. You disagree with McCartney, Harrison, Starr, George Martin, Geoff Emerick, Yoko Ono, Apple Records, EMI, & millions & millions of fans who bought the records & watched the programs. I am merely agreeing with them.

You agree only with a minority that certainly doesn't include the surviving Beatles, Lennon's widow, Their producer or engineer, their record company or most of their fans.

Don't take it with me, take it up with the rest of the planet, because you're more well informed just please click the ignore button. I don't debate with people who become personally offensive.

bob60 and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I personally would have loved it, but I don't think it would have gone far, nor do I think George would have ever agreed to a full album.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

They'll eventually get to the bottom of it. They're so close, just a few hundred more replies and it'll be settled for the ages.

vitorbastos123 and videoman like this.
  6. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Nope, But not against their existence.

7. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Should have been a poll included with the thread. It looks like it would be about 60-40 in favor of yes.

8. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

What have Yes got to do with this thread ;)

9. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member

May I ask why? Despite my username I am quite a newbie to the inner workings of the Beatles. I do know George was the reason they didn't do more "John" songs in the 90s as he felt it was getting a bit morbid. But why would he have been against a full album of living collaborations?

10. Mike Visco

It's complicated, but there are about 100 threads here about the relationship between Paul and George. In the solo years they were like brothers socially, but like oil and water musically. I wish that wasn't the case.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Settle for the month. Tops. Next May we will have another similar thread!

12. electra glide

electra glide New Member

As much as we all want it to be but.....No...Hell No!

PDK likes this.
  13. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

And even then, they weren't always in the best terms, Paul's "vegeterian leather jacket" being an example.

Mike Visco likes this.
  14. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

So where is this majority you cite? Where are the quotes the substantiate your alleged factual statements regarding the fans and family?

Where was I "personally offensive"? Did I accuse you of drinkie winkie?"

[​IMG]

Peace.

15. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member

Thing is George wasn't very productive during the 90s in general sadly. I think he only released two or three songs throughout the entire decade?

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

What's the story here?

17. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

If Lennon and McCartney were both alive and made new music without Harrison and/or Starr, I could possibly get behind that as new Beatles music. Subtract Lennon or McCartney and it doesn't matter how many of the other three are involved as far as I'm concerned.

18. Mike Visco

George was never afraid to tell the emperor he wasn't wearing clothes. Goes for him and John too.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  19. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I not only consider them to be real BEATLES songs, but they are two of my favorite Beatles songs. I especially like the video of REAL LOVE.

oxenholme likes this.
  20. Mike Visco

George recorded over 20 songs in the 90s, several remain unreleased. Most of Brainwashed was recorded in the 90s. The 90s recordings include songs with Jools Holland, soundtrack music, Ravi Shankar collaborations and the Wilburies (Maxine, since released), maybe even 2 or 3 recorded with a guy named Paul...

21. Mike Visco

Possibly left somewhere unfinished include the rumored Paul George collab "All For Love', instrumental jams, "In Spite of All The danger" acoustic (rumored), Threetle/Jeff Lynne electric jams (rumor mentioned by several involved with Anthology), possible attempts at "Now and Then" and "Grow Old With Me".

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Without John being alive for his contributions, it can't be real Beatles. That said, I'm glad they did it. The songs IMO are decent. I think had John lived, at least him and Paul would of done something together before the 90s. Glaring to me, is how much more interesting the footage from the threetles on anthology would have been with Lennon there, both musically and in personality dynamic.
    Free as a bird and real love took a lot of balls to do and George Martin avoided it. I have mixed feelings, but I'm glad it was done.

Drifter likes this.
  23. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Well, for one thing, some fans say it's not really Yes if Jon's not there....

Drifter and PIGGIES like this.
  24. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

25. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

John hated many Beatles songs. That’s irrelevent.

Seltarb and vitorbastos123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.