New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The frustration with Sea Change is that MSFL absolutely knocked it out of the park... Then proceeded to do one of the smallest pressing runs in the company's history, ensuring that all available copies will never sell for less than $250 apiece. Meaning most of us will NEVER hear it.
    No idea why MoFi can't do a repress. (Contracts?) No idea why the MoFi plates weren't used for the new reissue. (Cost cutting?)

Regardless, I'm fine with the idea of trying to issue albums that are impossible to find on vinyl now, or were never issued at all. Makes a lot more sense. I mean, Thriller IS a great album, but there's 20 million vinyl copies out there... Including two reissues in the last six years... And once you find an original pressing you pretty much have the audiophile version anyway. Albums from the late 80s, 90s, and early 2000s are far more scarce.

sully12 and IR Shane like this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The price of something is a function of two things - supply and demand. Just because the price is high for a scarce item on the secondary market, it doesn't mean demand is high. It just means demand is higher than the limited supply.

It says nothing about whether demand would still greatly exceed supply if supply increased by a thousand-fold.

BrettyD likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think the Sea Change discussion is a dead discussion anyway. But, hey, it was worth a try.

IR Shane likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

True, cant argue with basic economics. But youre not helping my cause ;)

But, I do believe it would sell and make a lot of folks happy.

5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

6. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

It takes months and money to do a reissue, and I just have no interest in doing an album that's already been done so well.

telepicker97 and Preston like this.
  7. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Yes! Had WB Green label on my mind when I posted lol.

IR Shane likes this.
  8. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

You're doing an amazing job shane, your reissues are fantastic, long may you run.

IR Shane and sjaca like this.
  9. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I got the title wrong, but this is it

Kings Of Leon - The Early Vinyl

IR Shane likes this.
  10. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

The Last Splash box set - especially the 10" EPs - sounds amazing. The EPs just explode out of the speakers. It kills the Plain LP I had previously. The Chris Bellman Soft Bulletin sounds great. Both are great records and excellent suggestions!

IR Shane likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If nothing else Im being educated on where to find good sounding versions of my favorite 90s albums. Thanks!

IR Shane and Preston like this.
  12. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

A nineties record that never is reissued on lp and is very difficult to find in the classic rock vein is Cry of love's brother on columbia that was out in 1993...that should appeal to Free/Bad co/black crowes fan and it's a reminder that the nineties black crowes lps needs reissue done from tapes... the digital back to black reissues from 2015 are so disappointing...

IR Shane and telepicker97 like this.
  13. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I used to see that one on vinyl. Less so now.

I'd love to see proper reissues of the Crowes albums. They could've been so good... And wound up so awful.

IR Shane, Sub 37 and 0476pearljam like this.
  14. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

When I said that cry of love lp is very difficult to find, I only meant I never see it in used bins in record stores in Belgium and no one sells it on discogs for the moment...

15. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

My wife enjoys music I don't really love, but we bought the new 3 Doors Down-The Better Life reissue. It is in a word, bad. The sound quality literally changes on different songs, and the biggest song on the record, Kryptonite, sounds like it was mastered from a demo, almost unlistenable. I mention this because it just makes me more thankful for labels like Intervention. How something like this can even get the ok to be released is beyond me, but, keep up the good work Intervention, it means a lot to a lot of people.

izgoblin likes this.
  16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I just came across this 1970 A&M title from Ron Davies (in the context that Bowie covered "It Ain't Easy" for Ziggy Stardust)
    it's another interesting record that hasn't ever seen a vinyl reissue, according to discogs. Has your A&M relationship given you
    any idea which tapes still exist? It seems like there are at least a half-dozen interesting titles that fit the potential as 'discoveries'
    for many listeners, but i suppose the quality of this music is offset by the fact very few will have ever heard it, let alone consider
    buying a premium vinyl reissue. thoughts?

Ron Davies - Silent Song Through The Land

IR Shane likes this.
  17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Shane, i love you like a brother dude, but double 45's? These albums are like 35 minutes split over 4 sides, no seating required!
    Was that a requirement for a North American reissue because MOV has done it at 33rpm?
    JUDEE SILL - JUDEE SILL - Catalog - Music On Vinyl

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    IR Shane likes this.
  18. drfindley

drfindley Well-Known Member

@IR Shane One more plug for David Grey's White Ladder. Never been done on vinyl and I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.

Also, U2, while I'm sure done to death, has such a distinctly digital sound. Maybe I haven't found the right pressings, but I never expected Joshua Tree to sound so limp, especially considering the engineers and producers behind it.

IR Shane and DigMyGroove like this.
  19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Shane is never gonna convince U2 to let an outside label do their pressings... And even if he could, the money UMe would ask for that privilege would be prohibitive.

I'll second White Ladder again.... Along with Damien Rice's O. Two albums that sold millions and were huge in multiple territories, and would sound amazing on vinyl if done properly... And have never seen a vinyl release before.

Also, since Sony seems to be cool with loaning out their masters (MOV has reissued dozens of Sony titles, and both ORG and Analog Spark have done Ben Folds).... It sure would be nice to see reissues of Toad The Wet Sprocket (ANY of the early titles) or Alice In Chains' Facelift. Guaranteed sellers there. But I suspect there are legal reasons why they've yet to be reissued....

IR Shane likes this.
  20. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Fiona Apple's 1st album Tidal would make a great splash

Criminal was such a huge hit
    and it's criminal this was never released via lp

IR Shane likes this.
  21. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

From my perspective Shane / Intervention are displaying great taste in their releases, Erasure aside (sorry!). I have the Stealers Wheel, Joe Jackson and B.A.D titles and I will pick up the Flying Burrito and Judee Sill titles too. One suggestion that would I think fit into the labels atheistic is Fotheringay - which for me is the best Sandy Denny LP. Never been reissued by an audiophile label before either.

googlymoogly and IR Shane like this.
  22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any chance of the Joe Jackson titles being released on SACD?

IR Shane likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I can't say about comparisons but UK original is not a 320 which I'm sure would be a German pressing. The original Portishead pressings are great but for 2nd self titled album the US 2LP version is superior. I would not expect SV to be as good.

IR Shane likes this.
  24. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I thought long and hard about an album I would be thrilled to see get an Intervention. Then it hit me. Nino Ferrer-Nino And Radiah. Since this isn't a request a reissue thread, I'll refrain from anymore, this one, I just couldn't hold in.

IR Shane likes this.
  25. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Cry of Love and all the Black Crowes releases.

Please.

For the love of God and rock and roll. Please give these albums the treatment they so deserve.

Further and IR Shane like this.