UE Boom - Bluetooth speaker - $99

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by beercanchicken, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman Thread Starter

This is a REALLY good B/T speaker for a really good price on Crutchfield...

UE BOOM (Black)

*Before an argument about it even begins....
    I dont consider B/T to be "audiophile" quality but as someone who's outside often, I view B/T as a practical item and this is an exceptional one.

black sheriff likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'll also mention the RIVA b/t products which are oriented toward the audiophile listener, in case someone is looking for a great price on a b/t stereo speaker oriented in that direction. The larger, louder Turbo-X model and the smaller, slightly more neutral Riva S models are on sale for $159 and $99 respectively (retailing for $300 and $250 respectively). One neat aspect of the Riva S model is that two can be used in tandem for a wider stereo perspective.

I own the Riva S model. Its sound is remarkable. It sounds like real music. It comes with power plugs for most countries and a carrying case, so you're good to go when you travel. The only issue is that there's not a whole lot of it. Its really accurate sound in a small package is only able to achieve moderate volumes. No party speaker this. But the speaker design really spreads out the sound, extending it on all sides horizontally, so even from the next room, it sounds like real music, not tinny or brash. It's something to listen to as opposed to party with. The Turbo X is larger, but it's also more of the powerhouse, though still with a naturalness of sound. Just not as startling smooth as the Riva S.

http://rivaaudio.com/riva-s/
    http://rivaaudio.com/riva-turbo-x/

beercanchicken likes this.
  3. beercanchicken

I'm actually looking for a bedroom setup (how I found the UE sale) so will check the Riva out...have also heard good things about Peachtree Deepblue2

*$159 for the Turbo X seems like a great deal
    **For in home, I'd rarely use B/T. I'd mostly have a speaker to hook up a Chromecast or Airport to play Spotify/Tidal (Barry White playlists for bedroom, obviously)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  4. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Man, thanks for posting. I have been wanting something for outside and the kids room. I had no idea what to buy. This sounds perfect.

5. beercanchicken

For something to "beat-up", it's great and you'll probably be impressed by the sound.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not a bad speaker. But if you don't need huge battery life or amazing portability, the Harmon Kardon Onyx sounds better, gets louder, and can be purchased for $80:

Harman Kardon Onyx Studio Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Rechargeable Battery

7. AnalogJ

Their new line of speakers are wireless as well. Interestingly, Riva teamed up with VPI to show off their new wireless speaker, the Arena ($249). It has a phono mode. This link takes you to a blog entry about it.

VPI Industries | Turntables Made in USA

Riva has a generous refund policy as well, so you can try them out without worry. After listening to the typical b/t speakers, with brittle highs and big but rather undefined bass, I was really surprised and pleased with how good the Riva sounds.

8. beercanchicken

Those look really cool too..Many options seem to have decent quality speaker structure behind them, the failing is usually the B/T. At the end of the day, theyre still essentially class D amp'd speakers?
    But B/T tech is advancing way faster than I thought it would. The new Sony system thats supposed to come out this Spring can pair 10 speakers, thats insane. I've always considered a B/T speaker to be a durable/pragmatic thing. Throw in my bag bring to beach, softball games, bike, etc. Something that can take a beating was prioritized over sound quality It's crazy that they're making legitimate strides in the "in-home" market.
    Now I have to decide between Turbo X or 1 - 2 S's (my bedroom isnt huge). Suppose I can buy a S and add another for "stereo" if it doesnt fill room enough

9. AnalogJ

Each speaker is stereo, right? It's just that with the Riva S (not the Turbo X), you can pair it up to get more stereo spread. If you're using it in a small room or office, the Riva S provides plenty of volume for moderate listening levels and is more faithful in the midrange. But the Turbo X goes deeper and louder. If you have some sort of room reinforcement (i.e. walls, corner, etc.), the Riva S sounds more weighty and present in the lower range. If you're using it in a larger outside or inside space, the Turbo X will be better (unless it's just for background music), but in smaller confines and for portability, the Riva S is really good. You can charge your phone with it, and it also comes with a direct audio cable for even better sound reproduction. The guy behind Riva is a professional in concert sound design.

And Riva has attempted to address the b/t audio shortcomings, albeit digitally. One of the things that is quite surprising is how dynamic these units are, both macro- and micro-. That's one of the typical shortcomings of bluetooth. This thing really portrays musical qualities. I was listening to some jazz from the next room, and noticed the subtle pushing and pulling of notes, a quality that really helps the musician's intention come alive. And then, tonally, I was really surprised as to how good that midrange is. I'd call it almost beautiful. Listening to classical or acoustic music, the midrange is quite realistic. Finally, the way the speakers are positioned horizontally all over the device, even from the next room, it sounds right. When you move around the room that the speaker is in, you don't lose the soundstage and balance very much, unlike with most b/t speakers, which tend to be directional.

10. AnalogJ

11. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

That's a really good price for that speaker. I looked at it two years ago but really didn't want to spend that much. I ended up picking up a JBL Charge 2 that's similar in shape. One thing about the shape that's great is it will fit in a bicycle water bottle cage. It also sits nicely behind the golf cart seat. Very practical.

I have UE headphones that sound great so I bet this speaker sounds pretty good too. Thanks for posting this deal.

12. beercanchicken

I love practical. the app is really good too.

black sheriff likes this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Fakespot gives the reviews of the Riva Turbo X a grade of "C", which means lots of bogus (paid for) reviews.
    They give the reviews of the Turbo S a grade of "B", which means some deception involved, but not as much.

Removing the bogus reviews and reaveraging, the Turbo X gets 3.5*.

Generally, I avoid items with lots of bogus reviews. There's usually a reason they paid for those bogus good reviews.

14. beercanchicken

The sound is pretty good, it has a real "room immersive" feel too it that sounds interesting, so I'm thinking that's what a lot of the hype is about. it's definitely unique and impressive for it's size.
    That being said, it's definitely a Bluetooth speaker, that's its #1 priority and not sure if that's exactly what I'm looking for.
    2 somewhat related things bother me
    1. If I start streaming music to a Chromecast or Airport Express, it doesnt power on. Thats not a huge deal in itself, it could be worked around but..
    2. I can't turn on the speaker from my phone/app like I can with any of the UE speakers, the app only allows you to power off.
    Since this is for my bedroom, it's not really that ideal for getting music going from across the room.

15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I love the UE Boom. Great price for it - has a lot of punch. Plus it's waterproof so it makes a lot of trips to the beach with my family. The HK Onyx sounds great too but is not nearly as portable

16. beercanchicken

The portability and durability are great. I have a carabiner on mine and it goes everywhere with me all summer. Softball games, beach, park. It's nice that the only thing to worry about is if the battery is charged.

jupiter8 likes this.
  17. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I just ordered a Riva Turbo X.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.