HBO's Girls

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This is looking more and more like what is going to happen. Meh.

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm seriously hoping that the series finale shows Shoshanna thriving away from the toxic relationships of the other three and everyone else wallowing in their own horribleness. Would be nice if Elijah comes out of all this intact as well. I'm worried he might end up the Rickety Cricket of the group. If Adam's "film" ends up in any way successful I say we all riot.

I just pray that they stick to the real-time series of events and end with her still pregnant. If they skip ahead in time in the last episode just to see Hannah's baby at some point in the future I'm going to be bitterly disappointed.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I just get the strong impression from watching the after the show segments on HBO Now that we'll see Adam and Hannah together at the end. As to the rest, I have no idea. I will say way too little of Shoshanna in this season so far. It's short show (30 min) and I don't feel it balances all the characters very well. That's my main criticism.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  4. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I find all this love to Shoshanna weird. She is my least favourite character and I have a feeling like people are suddenly liking her more because she is on screen less. ;)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You might be right about that last part.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

No love for her here!! I heard she is way different in person but I have never seen an interview with her. Her character has gotten worse and worse.

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

She was on a talk show recently and her voice is not much different, but she seems less hyper.
    I think given the last episode it's clear that Adam still loves Hannah, but Hannah is having nothing to do with Adam or Jessa. Which will make their probable reunion that much more sweet (or as sweet as those two people can be). And enough enough enough with Marnie & Desi.

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I dunno about liking her - that may be going too far - but she's always been written as just kind of dumb and clueless, which I'll always find more forgivable than the toxic narcissism the others show. I won't deny, though, that I loved the scene of her yelling at everyone when they were at the beach house in season three. That stuck with me.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not true in my case. I've always enjoyed her scenes. She's provided some of the best laughs of the series.

10. My God, this is a bleak season! Funny moments are rare now, but that hasn't made it less intriguing.

Marine is such a bitch.

11. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Absolutely, its clear she uses her body to get the reaction that she knows people will give, and people will talk about it. She is backhanding TV body image standards and sexuality in the face, and I have to give it to her for that. Its an easy get. Not only that, in all the episodes that Ive seen so far, she has never has a sexy love scene, she made sure that something always happens making it even more unsexy and awkward than that.

12. inaptitude

Weird world when a women with a fairly typical body type gets kudos for backhanding body image standards by writing herself into actual real life-like sex scenes.

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I used to dislike the Shosh character. But at some point, in season 4 or 5 (after returning from Japan), she grew her lady-balls and became less whiny, more independent, and more likeable. She's been one of my faves ever since. Incidentally, it was about that same time I began loathing Marnie.

And I think I hope Shosh gets back with Ray. The only character on this show I wouldn't mind having a drink and a chat with.

EVOLVIST, GodShifter and Lonson like this.
  14. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

The world was already weird with the body standards that it already has, maybe its becoming less weird? Or weird world because she had to be weird to stand out?

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  15. I would, too, because I've been watching the show and as far as I can tell Ray has almost zero mojo, yet he bags some babies. "What's you secret, Ray?" "Even when I'm happy, I pretend I'm depressed, because every woman is a sucker for a hangdog man."

Gotcha!

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well last nights episode went where I thought it was going to and then it didn't. Great job of the writers to throw a curve ball on that one (Adam and Hannah). The deal with Ray and the friend of Shoshanna was unexpected. Adam remains my favorite character and I was happy to see Jessa smile when he returns; I wanted her to be happy.

I think what makes "Girls" fairly unique is that there are several women in the show I find pretty gross but yet they're desired by guys. It just goes to show it takes all types, shapes, and sizes.

Pete Puma and Chris from Chicago like this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

The optimist in me thought it was incredibly sweet regarding the day Adam and Hannah spent together. And when he suggested they get married and her eyes welled up was most touching. And part of me still hopes that will happen. But Adam returning home, to the desperately seeking attention Jessa, was not just a metaphorical return home...it was an actual Adam returning to Jessa.

Ray's new friend Abigail was fun, and unexpected. It's a bit hard not to root for either of them. And the carousel kiss? Awesome.

This show is awkward. It's confident. It's unsure of where it's heading. And it's emotional. And this show is leaving on a high note. Hannah is truly an American original.

CBC likes this.
  18. I find almost every character in this show repulsive on some level. Brilliant writing and usually excellent acting and direction make it all enjoyable some how.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. inaptitude

Hmmm I had a totally different reaction to that scene. I actually see it as both of them realizing getting married is a pipe dream and bringing it out into the open popped the dream bubble they had been in during the last day. She didn't seem touched or happy with those tears, but disappointed and perhaps a bit ashamed. I think his returning to Jessa shows this.

But I guess we will wait and see!

CBC, GodShifter and Lonson like this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's exactly how I read it. He went too far and the bubble burst and they both realized it was just a fantasy they were playing. And I'm glad the show isn't ending with Adam and Hannah together (it still might, I guess), but then we had Adam go play house with Hannah and sleep with her and Jessa go pick up a random stranger at a bar to boink in the bathroom. So how to feel good about that?

Lonson likes this.
  21. Chris from Chicago

I think you are right. My first impression was...oh, that's really sweet. But soon after I realized I completely misread that. Confirmed by Adam returning to Jessa.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Was it such a pipe dream though? They have chemistry and a history and they get each other, and she tried having a relationship with a more conventional guy and it didn't work. And Adam, while he's still kind of weird, has changed considerably from how he was when they first got together. Maybe he was being hasty with the marriage talk but it didn't seem like such a bad idea to me.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I never read it that way. The tears signified she knew it wasn't going to work nor was it something she wanted. Adam realized this as well and returned to Jessa. I do not think we will see any scenes with Adam and Hannah again. In fact, we might have pretty much seen the last of Ray and Adam for the series (in any serious capacity anyway).

CBC likes this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

25. inaptitude

Ugh marnie. Would prefer just a show about Hannah's dad and his BF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.