The Flash (TV Series 2014– )

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicalbeds, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I find myself enjoying the shows with shorter seasons much more. If I'm reading a book I want to get it done in a few weeks and move on to the next one, otherwise, like The Flash, it just drags on and on.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

To be fair, the solution Barry used to defeat Zoom had the groundwork laid beginning with Zoom killing "himself" before the hiatus, his subsequent explanation that it was his own time remnant, Zoom's use of a remnant again to kill Henry in the penultimate episode, and his taunting of Barry about not being willing to do what is necessary to beat him in the finale. There was enough set-up and build that it did not seem like it was pulled "out of their butt at the last minute" to me. Thematically it even fit that Zoom kept killing his own time remnants to further his plan while Barry's time remnant sacrificed himself to save the multiverse.

F_C_FRANKLIN and jriems like this.
  3. Well, I hope they pass some of that extra money along to the people who help make these shows!

:biglaugh:

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All those people are being paid in Canadian dollars... :sigh:

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

OMG last night's "musical" episode was painfully, painfully bad.

6. The plot was little more than excuse for song and dance numbers. It was pretty awful one of the worst seasons ever.

melstapler likes this.
  7. I don't know--I find them to be like one of those epic novels. Granted, you don't want all of them to be epics but some deserve it.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought there were too many long stretches of the episode without any singing! If you're going to do it, go all in. But it was pretty weak even apart from that.

I checked in this week for the novelty but I have the last three or four episodes piled up on my PVR... I've tuned out this season. It's getting boring, it's too repetitive.

One thing that's turned me off is all the time spent on Wally -- the actor is boring and I feel the Flash should be the only character with those abilities, or what's special about him?

F_C_FRANKLIN and wayneklein like this.
  9. Yeah spin off Wally to his own show.

melstapler likes this.
  10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I watched the musical episode because of the Supergirl tie-in. It was different, neither hated or loved. Maybe some actual younger viewers will have liked it though who missed Glee? Not having seen the Kid Flash on tv before I just thought, oh, another character made black, and Iris too. It's a bit like hand-me-downs having formerly white characters updated though isn't it? As opposed to say Luke Cage, Black Panther or that second Green Lantern who was a different guy from the first one.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I get that but the actress playing Iris is so good, and so beautiful, that I don't mind at all. And if the Wally character were better written and better acted it wouldn't bother me at all. I honestly don't think of these shows as related to the original comics at all, they are so so different, and the medium makes them a different thing altogether.

F_C_FRANKLIN and beccabear67 like this.
  12. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

The comic Kid Flash is black now too. Or, one of them is, anyway. (Don't ask)

But, since you did... When DC re-booted they created a new Wally West, who is african american. But, now, with Rebirth, the original Wally West (redhead) is back, but so is AA Wally West.

How does DC explain it? Well, is Wally West really that uncommon a name? Why can't there be two of them?

beccabear67 likes this.
  13. beccabear67

They can keep remaking and restarting them forever I guess, this is the second Flash tv series even, and it kind of all started with a new Flash in 1956 or something didn't it? The 1940s one had a WWI type FTD Florists-Mercury helmet.
    Just don't make Black Panther a white guy with an MC5 'fro! :shake: :laugh:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I was punching the >> button a LOT....terrible episode and probably the worst of the series so far as nothing was resolved or moved forward.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Except for the relationship between the series' lead character and his now fiance and, to a lesser extent, Wally/Kid Flash's funk after being rescued from the Speed Force. That being said, the relationship stuff is usually the worst aspect of all of the DC "Berlantiverse" shows, and this was no exception (x2 if you watch Supergirl).

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well it wasn't supposed to be driven in any way by story, it was something they did for fun because the two shows happen to be full of performers who've been in musicals. And the crossovers mostly have to sit outside the continuity of the overall series anyway.

17. I don't mind having a musical episode but it did waste a rare opportunity to use Flash and Supergirl together in any meaningful way.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. Don't give the movie industry any ideas!

melstapler and beccabear67 like this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

The show has really gone downhill for me. Too many people with super-speed abilities and too much time spent on alternate timelines and "evil" versions of characters.

I miss the first season, with Cisco in his nerdy t-shirts naming the villain of the week.

F_C_FRANKLIN and Deuce66 like this.
  20. I realize they are going with the most popular storylines but i agree. How many speedsters are there in the world? I'd rather have sosomething on alternate Earth with some of Supergirl's baddies.

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Agreed, once you introduce the time travel/alternate worlds it doesn't take for everything to flush.....different time lines, a Barry from this world, that world, past/present/multiple futures blah blah. Writers need to tread carefully with this stuff or risk losing the audience.

22. DreadPikathulhu

I don't really understand why it is so popular. I quit reading comics regularly decades ago but still keep up with the major happenings online, and other than the annual visit to Earth-2 I don't remember Flash spending much time on alternate Earths. The only other major speedster was Kid Flash - who took over when Barry died in 1986 and remained in the role for 25 years.

I do know that a whole mythology of the "speed force" has become a thing and they're using that to justify more and more versions of the characters, and the "Flashpoint" story was in 2011, but it's like they're trying to cram 75 years of comic continuity into three seasons. I wish they'd just slow down and give us time to care about the characters again.

Deuce66 likes this.
  23. The showrunner has already said a speedster won't be the main villain of next season. It will be the Rogues' Gallery.

24. beccabear67

I liked the old T.h.u.n.d.e.r Agents character who aged a bit extra each time he went into super speed mode. A bit grim I guess but a genuinely new twist at that time ('60s). It's hard to sustain these things once you go beyond a certain level, like what do you do once the sidekick is shooting heroin or the 'hero' kills one of the 'villains'. I think the first super hero to die was in a Legion Of Superheroes comic book I had from the '60s with the go-go checks on the top edge. There is no new thing under the sun, and these super beings are as much a potboiler of old mythology and fairy tales with a bit of sf as anything else.

How about a Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote crossover in The Flash? :agree:

melstapler likes this.
  25. So... Is Barry dead? :shrug: I can't find anything that says Grant Gustin has left (or if there will even be a fourth season) .....

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.