Boston vinyl shopping

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ashulman, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I may be down, all depending on when and where. I've met a couple members already. If this gets some interest, maybe start a thread.

ARK likes this.
  2. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I'm down with it.

ARK, RobCos02330 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Did you buy more than three pairs? Maybe some for yourself and some to flip to pay for them?

4. Vinyl Addict

Someone should start a Boston thread and organize a shopping day for us all.
    I've been PMing back and forth with a member who wants to go shopping in the next couple weeks (though it would probably be easier for everyone after the holidays)

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

25% off all new and used vinyl, excluding sale items, at all Newbury Comics locations Saturday and Sunday December 10 and 11.

Harbins_Grave likes this.
  6. Danby Delight

It's in a kind of soft-opening phase right now: not completely up and running, but if you show up, you can browse. I bought a few things yesterday. Cash only, at least for the moment.

Harbins_Grave and Phishman like this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Welfare Records in Haverhill should be having their Grand Re-opening any day now. They bought the space next to theirs and knocked the wall out. They also will be using the old rear storage area for more record sales.
    I can't wait to see what they did with the place. Really hope the workers have been told to stop smoking butts inside/in the doorway with the door open. It always smelled like an ashtray in there.

action pact likes this.
  8. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Where are they located now?

9. Danby Delight

Downstairs at 16 Harvard Ave in Allston, the old Store 54 space.

10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Good to see. My favorite Boston record store-I will have to make an expedition.

11. Harbins_Grave

Harbins_Grave Untitled Original 11383

Thanks for the heads up on this. I had a nice visit there on Saturday afternoon - picked up some good records at fair prices and had a long chat with the gentleman running the store (I didn't get his name - it wasn't Pat though, he didn't have a Southern accent). Worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood. As has been stated above, the shop is definitely doing a "soft" opening - low overhead (literally and figuratively, it's in the basement of the building). But they're buying collections, so new stuff is coming through the door, which is a good sign.

12. Danby Delight

I've been in twice, Pat was there once and a younger guy was there the second time. Pat has lost an enormous amount of weight, incidentally.

13. Vinyl Addict

I ran into one of the owners of Welfare Records a couple days ago. All they have left to do is price a bunch of records. He said they have more than 3x more vintage gear, records, etc. The old main room is all used/vintage gear.
    He told me "about a month" til they open. They've been saying that since November, but it sounds like he is right this time!
    I personally can't wait. Welfare is one of my favorites, and it's less than 2 miles away. :righton:

For what it's worth, I drove by there today and there were people standing outside smoking butts, with the door shut. That alone is a bonus. :agree:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. Lebowski

Keep us posted. Will need to check this place out!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  15. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I've been to the Looney Tunes new location in Allston a couple of times now but both times the gate outside has been locked. Any idea when they are open usually?

16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. I drove by there a couple of weeks ago (on a Friday, I think,) but didn't stop, and it looked locked up to me

17. Harbins_Grave

That's unfortunate to hear - lots of record stores aren't open 7 days a week (seems like Monday is a common day for some to be closed due to low foot traffic and the need to go out and look at collections), but when a store doesn't have a website or a phone # (at least in the case of the current Looney Tunes, as far as I can determine) you have to wonder what the point of even having a store is - not everyone can make a Saturday or Sunday trip (I'm assuming they're open on weekends, at least that's when I went) so who are your customers going to be? I get that Looney Tunes is doing the low overhead thing, but you have to be open with some regularity to make any sort of profit...maybe there are extenuating circumstances like vacations or family obligations affecting the schedule, but why pay rent on a space that doesn't stay open?

Next time I stop by and they're open I will ask what their hours are and if there is any contact info for interested customers.

Phishman likes this.
  18. Harbins_Grave

Update: I had a nice chat with Pat M. at Looney Tunes today. He told me he is open pretty much everyday, but that his hours are still fluid until the store is ready for a full opening, which he hopes will happen soon. He did say it would be OK for me to forward his phone # number to interested customers but of course he didn't want it posted publicly on the forum. If you're planning a visit but want to phone before heading out, send me a PM and I'll message you back with the details.

19. Lebowski

Wanted to share some info on a store that's somewhat new (at least to me). My brother-in-law mentioned a place in Norwell called Inclusion Records. I stopped by for a short visit yesterday on our way to visit my sister. It's right on Rt. 53, in a small strip mall of about 4-5 storefronts. The signage isn't great, and it's easy to miss.

Anyway, it's part of a skateboard shop, which is kinda neat. The records are in the basement. Not a huge space, but a decent enough selection of titles, both new and used. If you're a skater and vinyl collector I'd say it's definitely worth the trip. If you're only interested in records I would say wait until you're in the area to check it out. The guys that work there seem pretty cool; they said they place a vinyl order every Monday and can order most things, and they are a Record Store Day venue. Prices were slightly high, but I can live with that for a very small, independent shop.

Bonus: in this little strip mall there's also a store called the Smoke House selling many, many kinds of sausages. That alone may be worth the trip!

Vinyl Addict and havenz like this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

The new location of SPUN records in Dover NH is located next to a skate park. They share the same wall, you can watch some of it from inside the shop.

havenz likes this.
  21. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

I'm visiting Boston next week for the first time, and will stay near the the Savin Hill train station. I plan to visit Cambridge to see Harvard, as well as downtown, etc. I not averse to traveling on the subway to visit some really good stores that mostly focus on used late 60s/early 70s rock LPs and CDs. Can someone provide a short list or a few suggestions on the best stores to visit?

Thanks,
    Audiohound

22. Lebowski

Right in and around Harvard Square check out Stereo Jacks, Planet Records, and Armageddon Shop. Armageddon's focus is metal and punk, but they have a bit of everything.

The Newbury Comics in the Square has a decent selection but almost all of their vinyl is new. CDs are a mixture. Their store in Norwood, MA is worth the trip for new and used vinyl, if you can get down there.

Blue Bag is a newcomer on Massachusetts Avenue (call it Mass Ave) in North Cambridge, but I don't really like them. If you want to check them out take the 77 bus from Harvard Square or take the red line to Porter and walk.

There's a few places in Boston to check out too, maybe look through this thread to learn about Looney Tunes and others.

If you want a nice day trip (or half day maybe) take the commuter rail to Gloucester and check out Mystery Train Records.

Phishman and Vinyl Addict like this.
  23. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

Thanks, Lebowski...this is really great info!

24. Harbins_Grave

I second all of Lebowski's suggestions, but I think Blue Bag is worth a shot if you find your way farther down Mass Ave (as Lebowski noted, you can walk there from Porter but it's probably slightly quicker to cut down Dover Street from the Davis Square T Stop if you've traveling via the Red Line). Blue Bag specializes in OG reggae but also has a healthy jazz selection and affordable used late 60s/early 70s rock LPs (I take it that this is what you're most interested in). New arrivals are refreshed very regularly and Chris (the owner) and Tyler are friendly and helpful. Also, if you somehow find yourself in Union Square in Somerville do check out Somerville Grooves (not on the Red Line, but a 10-12 minute ride via the 86 bus from Harvard) - David is very helpful and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something worthwhile there. Anyway, happy hunting!

PS - Check the Facebook pages for Blue Bag and Somerville Grooves if you're heading out on a Monday - they might not be open on Mondays.

25. Lebowski

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.