Your Favourite Roxy Music Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Manifesto!!

M321115 and Mother like this.
  2. Really? I find that the band's albums get better with each album up to Siren. Manifesto still embodies the older ethos of Roxy in terms of the topics and quality of the songs while, with Flesh + Blood it was even more about popular style over content.

3. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I rank the last three albums in this order:

Avalon
    Manifesto
    Flesh and Blood

Avalon
    is sophisticated pop at its best.

5. putz

putz Forum Resident

First album and Felicity Jones got my vote

Chris Bernhardt and Rne like this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I haven't heard much their their earlier material. Need to remedy that. 'Avalon' is one of the most incredible sounding albums I've heard

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

An excerpt from one of my absolute favorite songs by any band mimed by one of the most beautiful ladies I've ever seen. I'm in love with that scene, I admit it.

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not really a relevant post but I've been revisiting Ferrys "Another Time Another Place" recently and hidden at the very end of what is merely an OK collection of covers housed in a great gatefold sleeve (or the b-side of the "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" 7") lurks an absolute killer: The title track which somehow would make an excellent companion to "Country Life"s (last song) "Prairie Rose". Also from 1974.

One of the very best Bryan Ferry deep cuts ever, revived/ rescued in 2013 for concerts.

Max Florian and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  9. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

How can Manifesto only receive 7 votes. It's a terrific listen. Bizarre. :eek::confused:

gslasor likes this.
  10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I have fond memories of this compilation, what I first cut my teeth on in the 80s, along with Avalon. It definitely made a convert out of me.
    I've always enjoyed it, particularly side one. I like it more than Flesh and Blood, but I can't say that I prefer it to the earlier albums.

11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

My intro to them was 'Do the strand' on The Old Grey Whistle test.
    'For your pleasure', it is.

Glen Leat likes this.
  12. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

It's nice to see appreciation for almost all of the Roxy albums. Which is understandable, as all of them are great, or have their great moments.

My favorites would have to be Siren and Avalon, but then these are the only ones I have on LP, and the ones I have spent the most time with. I have Manifesto and Viva! digitally and they are great albums too, al;though I still prefer the former two. Still have to pick up Country Life at some point!

With regard to Roxy Music, an article on The Quietus a few years back revealed that Mark Lanegan (of Mark Lanegan Band, Queens of the Stone Age, Soulsavers, Screaming Trees...) is in fact a big Roxy fan, and would have preferred his voice to sound like Bryan Ferry's (note that Mark's is this deep, bottomless baritone). He highlighted Country Life as a particular favorite when running errands around the house (which is a great image in itself).

For those interested, find it here: The Quietus | Features | Baker's Dozen |

DHamilton likes this.
  13. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

Agree - easily a better listen than Flesh + Blood, in my opinion.

chahooa, wayneklein and Mother like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The last three albums for music, first 3 albums for album covers.

M321115 and arthurprecarious like this.
  15. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

My introduction to Roxy as a record buyer (apart from Virginia Plain). I love this piece of wax and its cover.
    Rainbow leopardskin, gold vinyl and distorted models pointing in a spooky way. Great selection of tracks all killer (etc).
    Other than this I vote for the 1972 debut (Ladytron, 2HB. Bitters End, Remake/Remodel - come on folks - Dance Away is as nothing compared to these).

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  16. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

1. Country Life
    2. For Your Pleasure
    3. Avalon
    4. Flesh + Blood
    5. Siren

Very tough to call this one...

17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

The later EG / Virgin Made in Holland ones sound better. Still unremastered, but better sources were used to my ears. And they can be picked up for peanuts.

Scope J likes this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

That compilation was everywhere at the time wasn't it! I never owned it but it's a strong memory :)

M321115 and oldturkey like this.
  19. Yes, I never understood this. The material on Manifesto is better than Flesh + Blood by miles.

strummer101 likes this.
  20. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

The first... there was nothing like it at the time, and it still feels light years ahead of everything else

oldturkey and BlueSpeedway like this.
  21. I gave this to friend (Jennifer Lee where are you?) as a gift--they let me live in their apartment over a very difficult summer for me in Los Angeles. They liked Avalon and wanted another Roxy Music album but earlier...so I figured this would be a nice sampler and they could determine if they liked the early stuff from that. They didn't. I probably should have gotten them Flesh + Blood!

oldturkey and BlueSpeedway like this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

I loved Angel Eyes disco version (single only?) but could never get into Flesh and Blood. I really liked Avalon though, much to the consternation of my school pals in the mid 1980s, as they thought I only listened to "weird" stuff as I was obsessed with Brian Eno's music at that time.

Same Old Scene is my all time favourite Roxy / Ferry song. I just love it for some reason, wonderful. Followed or tied with the title track of For Your Pleasure. But my favourite album is the first.

23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

You couldn't ask for a better compilation imo.

wayneklein likes this.
  24. It also has the rare (at the time) single mixes of a couple of tracks as well.

oldturkey likes this.
  25. The single disco version of "Angel Eyes" replaced the "rock" version in the UK when it became a hit which meant the rock version wasn't available until Reprise reissued Manifesto in the U.S. on CD and they were remastered by Ludwig. The version of "Dance Away" was slightly different on the Uk vs. U.S. Release eventually for the same reason.

I think Avalon garnered the most votes because it was 1) their most popular in the U.S. selling a million copies (even though it didn't chart highly it was a stuborn album being s big catalog seller for Roxy) and bexause of the endless air play (and the New aromatic movement) on MTV?

BlueSpeedway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.